Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Ebook prices

Is it me or have ebook prices been inching up over the past few months. I stocked up right before Agency pricing went into effect and have bought only a handful of books since from favorite authors. At the beginning of Agency, most books interest me were $6.99 or $7.99. The latest releases from these same authors is either $9.99 or $12.99. I have yet to give in to the urge to buy anything over $7.99. Has anybody else notice ebook price increases??
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
Is it me or have ebook prices been inching up over the past few months. I stocked up right before Agency pricing went into effect and have bought only a handful of books since from favorite authors. At the beginning of Agency, most books interest me were $6.99 or $7.99. The latest releases from these same authors is either $9.99 or $12.99. I have yet to give in to the urge to buy anything over $7.99. Has anybody else notice ebook price increases??
Yeah, I've noticed it too. $12.99 seems to be a sweet spot for a lot of the books I want, where as it used to be $9.99 (even after agency).
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
sure have. i hope they suffocate in their collective 'increased margins'.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-04-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: alter a word
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Were the other books by the same authors already available in paperback, and the new ones only have a hardcover edition? That could explain it. If they're pricing the ebooks at $12.99 when there's a mass-market paperback, that's price gouging by the publisher (IMHO). If there's only a hardcover and you want to pay paperback prices, you'll have to wait for the paperback release.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I use the same strategy now that I've been using for years. I keep a wish list of titles on Amazon, and if the price drops below $5 - and the book is not available from the library - I buy it. I've got so much reading backed up, I don't pay attention to the prices.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
What I am seeing is books that are out as hardback pbooks, are priced at $12.99 (and sometimes $14.99) as an ebooks.

Once they come out in paper back, the ebooks drops to $9.99 and sometimes lower.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I did see that the upcoming Stephen King is priced in the stratosphere but knowing him it's probably 200,000 words at least.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I did see that the upcoming Stephen King is priced in the stratosphere but knowing him it's probably 200,000 words at least.
His books, both p and e, always seem to be priced higher, and then they all go up to match. I remember being scandalized when "Under the Dome" came out. If I remember right, the price was mid $20's several years ago.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
It was $30 for the hardcover....not sure about the eBook.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
His books, both p and e, always seem to be priced higher, and then they all go up to match. I remember being scandalized when "Under the Dome" came out. If I remember right, the price was mid $20's several years ago.
right now on amazon, if you pre-order his new release, you save a whopping $1.43 on the ebook versus the hardback.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I use the same strategy now that I've been using for years. I keep a wish list of titles on Amazon, and if the price drops below $5 - and the book is not available from the library - I buy it. I've got so much reading backed up, I don't pay attention to the prices.
Amen, bro' (or sister). There are two other things that help me. I have transferred much of my business from the big chains to a local used bookseller. That doesn't give me the latest-greatest pop novel but there are millions of great books at sub-$5 prices, and the pop stuff will get there sooner or later. There is almost nothing that I can't wait to read, unless it's a book for a local discussion group that is not available at the library.

The other thing that I've gotten involved with is applying for free pre-release books from some of my other web sites that feature authors who give a few copies away in exchange for an honest review of the book. I've read several very good books by indie writers and it also allows me to move about in genres to which I sometimes might not otherwise be attracted. It also keeps me from getting 'hooked' on one author's extensive list of works while the rest of the world passes me by.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
It was $30 for the hardcover....not sure about the eBook.
That's what I was thinking, but was not sure. Wasn't the ebook the same price at first, because they hit the market simultaneously.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I was thrilled to discover that three Victoria Holt titles are now available as e-books: Mistress of Mellyn (1960), Bride of Pendorric (1963), and On the Night of the Seventh Moon (1972). And the price for these books from 39, 48, and 51 years ago? A whopping $9.99 apiece.

I love these old Victoria Holt books; I'd love for her whole backlist to be made available. I'd buy them all again for my e-reader at, say $5 apiece. But at $10 a pop? For books that have been continuously in print for so many years? The publisher needs a reality check.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I think that there are probably publishers who still look on e-book sales as a minor and
experimental/unproven market for their product. They may not see low or slow sales
of the ebook version of their product as a matter of the price but rather as just the
result of the lack of a market for ebooks, compared to their pbooks. It is likely that
as the numbers shift so will the attitude of the publishers.

Where it will settle out is anyone's guess, but things are not that bad at this point,
all things considered.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I love these old Victoria Holt books; I'd love for her whole backlist to be made available. I'd buy them all again for my e-reader at, say $5 apiece. But at $10 a pop? For books that have been continuously in print for so many years? The publisher needs a reality check.
I would think that being continuously in print indicates new customers that pay the new book price so it seems rational to me to match the price to the paper edition. I do not believe that the market for replacing paper books are big at all.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote