Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-09-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Movie: Lost in Translation

Watched a movie yesterday called Lost in Translation with Bill Murray. I can highly recommend it, if you are looking for a romantic comedy that is slightly different from the usual Hollywood mishmash.

Quote from one reviewer: "You'll think. You'll laugh. You'll be marvelously entertained. And you'll be touched."

One of the best movies I've seen lately!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	219763.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	246  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
It was a good film, and had quite the buzz here in the U.S. since its release. The praise keeps coming. It was nominated for a Golden Globe for "Best Musical or Comedy Picture".

More importantly, it was nommed "Best Picture" by IFP and will probably take several Spirit Awards this year, though there's some stiff competition from "American Splendor" (the Harvey Pekar story).

For anyone who likes movies, you should check out the Spirits. They are held the day before the Oscars on the Independent Film Channel (check out the link above). Most big name actors go to the ceremony, typically held in a tent during the day, and they wear normal clothes (gasp). It's quite a different scene from the GG's or the Oscar's and a nice reminder that acting is really a profession of talented craftsmen -- as opposed to no-talent crapsmen.

Glad to hear good cinema is coming to Swiss-town.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
Glad to hear good cinema is coming to Swiss-town.
Heh... I think it is actually easier to find non-Rent a Oscar©-Award©-Winning© releases in Switzerland than in the US

Another beautiful, funny, and memorable movie (& one of my girlfriend's favorites) which I heartly recommend is The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain. Only make sure you watch it in its original language (French) - if necessary, with English subtitles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	194111.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	247  
Old 01-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Heh... I think it is actually easier to find non-Rent a Oscar©-Award©-Winning© releases in Switzerland than in the US
I have no idea what this means...but ok.

Quote:
Another beautiful, funny, and memorable movie (& one of my girlfriend's favorites) which I heartly recommend is The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain. Only make sure you watch it in its original language (French) - if necessary, with English subtitles.
You kids have some good taste. Amelie (as it was known in the States) was a great flick too. I really liked the story-line about her neighbor and his painting project, but much of that probably has to do with the fact that the Renoir hangs in the museum a block from my house.

Another beautiful film out this year, recently released on dvd, is Whale Rider. I think you might like it. Very overlooked, though it might pop up as "Best Foreign" film of the year.

Enjoy!
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:49 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
I have no idea what this means...but ok.
Means the director didn't necessarily try to follow stereotypical Hollywood criteria (like using cutting edge 3d fx, must-be-at-least-famous-as-tom-cruise-actors) to produce a film.
Advert
Old 02-29-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Btw,

I am going to be in Tokyo in two weeks (12/03-15/03) to visit the wedding of an old college friend of mine. Do you think I will feel the same jet lag and cultural disorientation as Murray in Lost in Translation?
Old 02-29-2004, 08:32 PM   #7
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
If you do...

...make sure there is a hottie, neglected young wife for you to kick it with.
Seemed to work for Bill.

If all else fails, there's always the lounge singer.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:13 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride Of Lions
If all else fails, there's always the lounge singer.
POL9A
Muahhhh....
Old 03-01-2004, 04:42 PM   #9
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Or...

...the "Lip My Stocking" chick.
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:50 AM   #10
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
According to Bloomberg columnist William Pesek Jr, Bill Murray, lead actor in "Lost in Translation,'' may have done more for Japan than is readily appreciated.

"The film is certainly drawing attention to Japan,'' says David Leheny, a Japanese politics professor at the University of Wisconsin- Madison.

In April, for example, six U.S.-based tour companies launched tours based on the movie's locations. Similar tours were created for Europeans, as well as consumers throughout Asia. "Lost in Translation Tours'' are simply spreading the globe."
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote