Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Flash for Android coming March 18th...

... perhaps this is what B&N is waiting for, since the employees have been talking about "2.2 with Flash" towards the end of the month for Nook Color.

( For rooters , also note that Flash will then work with 3.0 Honeycomb, and it also states that 3.0 will be released then as well (so that Xoom can be shipped), which means that there should be more stable Honeycomb with Flash for rooters not long thereafter...

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2...e-devices.html
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
We already have Flash on Android, so this is just a small update.

Edited to add that this Flash update will be for Honeycomb tablets only for the time being, so it really doesn't apply to the Nookcolor.

Last edited by MsCG1; 03-11-2011 at 01:36 PM.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Ken Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
We already have Flash on Android, so this is just a small update.

Edited to add that this Flash update will be for Honeycomb tablets only for the time being, so it really doesn't apply to the Nookcolor.
You missed the second line:

Quote:
Flash Player 10.2 is a production GA (General Availability) release for Android 2.2 (Froyo) and 2.3 (Gingerbread) devices
The H264 Hardware Acceleration is the only part limited to Honeycomb.

The importance for rooters is that it strongly implies that Honeycomb will be released by March 18th (current Honeycomb is just a preview).

PS I didn't want to make the Subject too complicated, it was a shorthand.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Ken,

I'm confused as well by your post.

How this relates to Nook or Nook Color? Froyo has Flash support already. Also, Honeycomb is not a preview, its a full release; Moto Xoom runs Honeycomb. It is just lacking of the Flash implementation and some additional drives, like the one for SD card I think.

By the way, I don't have a NC anymore, but even via rooting, I would not install Honeycomb on it. Based on NC hardware it will be too much. Actually, even my Galaxy Tab which is more powerful, not sure it will handle Honeycomb so good. I have my doubts about Samsung releasing Honeycomb for GT 7".
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stuart View Post
You missed the second line:

The H264 Hardware Acceleration is the only part limited to Honeycomb.

The importance for rooters is that it strongly implies that Honeycomb will be released by March 18th (current Honeycomb is just a preview).

PS I didn't want to make the Subject too complicated, it was a shorthand.
I didn't misread the article. When the news was first released this morning, it was reported that 10.2 wouldn't be supported on non Honeycomb devices right now. A clarification by Adobe was sent out a little later after the initial press release.

My point still stands, I don't think BN held off on pushing out 2.2 because they were waiting for Flash 10.2. 10.1 works perfectly well on Froyo devices.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
cmanbrazil
cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
I hope your right. I am really waiting for an energized experience on the Nook Color.
cmanbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Ken Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Also, Honeycomb is not a preview, its a full release; Moto Xoom runs Honeycomb.
From a post to a mailing list:

Quote:
The next major version of Android, Android 3.0 "Honeycomb," is currently being sold to consumers on the Motorola Xoom tablet. However, the Android 3.0 source has not yet been released to the public. Android is made up of various pieces of software held under various licenses, including the GPL (e.g. the Linux kernel.) Right now a consumer can walk into Best Buy and purchase a Xoom tablet but cannot access the source code for the GPL'ed software it ships with. I checked both the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) and Motorola's open-source website and neither of them list the Android 3.0 source or make mention of how the source would be obtained.

My question is: does this violate the GPL? Major releases of Android often debut shipping on new hardware before the source is released (often weeks before.) Are the AOSP, or Google, or the hardware manufacturers then violating the GPL during that time where the source is unavailable?
In other words, Motorola developers have Honeycomb 3.0 and no one else does.
Quote:

By the way, I don't have a NC anymore, but even via rooting, I would not install Honeycomb on it. Based on NC hardware it will be too much. Actually, even my Galaxy Tab which is more powerful, not sure it will handle Honeycomb so good. I have my doubts about Samsung releasing Honeycomb for GT 7".
I ran the Honeycomb preview on my NC and it was not any problem.

And:
Quote:
So, if your device is featuring less than a dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor, it won’t be a problem running on it the Android 3.0 OS. This sounds really good, considering that only a few devices are powered by such a powerful processor, the rest of them being set to a single core 1 GHz CPU or even lower. Another important aspect is that, now, the owners of the single core Galaxy Tab handset will be able to get an OS update. Also, we all know that the Honeycomb is especially designed for tablets, so it is improper to say that phones will be run it as well. I mean not in the way the tablets will do.
and from an editor-in-chief:

Quote:
“Yesterday have a very good conversation and some clarifications. 1 Ghz, 512 Mb etc its not minimal requirements but recommended one”
NC has 512mb and the CPU is regularly run stably by the rooting community at 1.1ghz.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ken,
The Zoom was the 1st 10" tablet endorsed by Android, hence the only one running Honeycomb.

Yeah, you probably can install Honeycomb via custom ROM or whatever on a NC but that does not mean will run smoothly.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-16-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
botyok
botyok began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
i actually installed the Honeycomb emmc it ran smoothly but my battery was draining too fast. i need to revert back. im not so sure if the Flash for NC will be a good idea since it will drain too much power.
botyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by botyok View Post
i actually installed the Honeycomb emmc it ran smoothly but my battery was draining too fast. i need to revert back. im not so sure if the Flash for NC will be a good idea since it will drain too much power.
Correct. And when I said smoothly, it's not just video, but overall performance , including battery life. the NC is not optimized for Honeycomb. No matter how many tweaks and ROMs people try, the hardware (battery, video, RAM, etc) is still the same.

I understand people want to save couple of bucks, but they will save more (time, for example) if they buy something that works out of the box.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Ken,
The Zoom was the 1st 10" tablet endorsed by Android, hence the only one running Honeycomb.

Yeah, you probably can install Honeycomb via custom ROM or whatever on a NC but that does not mean will run smoothly.
You've missunderstood what Ken is saying. The term "preview" is really like saying "Alpha" release, that is why Honeycomb on the nook is not an optimal experience. Many developers have quite trying to support Honeycomb on the nook until Google release the ASOP code. That usually does not happen until the first release of a "Google Experience" device.

I agree with what you are saying that one should buy a device that comes with what you want installed already, don't buy "in hope" of a feature. That said the one time I do buy "in hope" is when a device has a lot of developer support, as is the case with the nook.

Right now I'm running CM7 Android 2.3 on the nook and it is fantastic. The device is much faster than Android 2.1 and 2.2. The nook is able to run much more software than before.

Samsung is notorious for not updating their hardware so most Tab users will be stuck with 2.2.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

Well, "preview" and "Alpha" are different words, at least to me. And with no doubts, this is because Honeycomb was rushed to the market. Not so good for the customer who wants something working out of the box, for the most part.

The main difference between most recent Android Tablets and NC is the Tegra processor. On the NC, even when you will be able to install a most recent Android version, the original hardware is still there. The result is, ending with a device which is being pushed to the limits and the battery will drain faster or the CPU will over heat. This is particularly true with Android 3.0

Honeycomb is focussed to a bigger screen and more "fancy" video experience; a powerful processor is key for that, something that NC simply does not have, and it is not bad or good, is just that it was not designed for that.

I guess that at the end is up to the user decide what is more important or not: get something cheap that they can hack later or buy something that works out of the box and was designed and tested for. Or even wait a year or so when prices go down a bit.

By the way, even if the GT does not get Honeycomb upgrade (which at this point is just mere especulation) the possibility of hacking the device is basically the same that with a NC. There are even custom ROMs right now for the Verizon model already which allows you to make calls here in USA. But on my case, I did not buy the GT thinking about Honeycomb. I believe a bigger screen is more suitable for such type of Os. If Samsung deploys an official Android 3.0 upgrade, cool, otherwise I'm still happy with what I get.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Well, "preview" and "Alpha" are different words, at least to me. And with no doubts, this is because Honeycomb was rushed to the market. Not so good for the customer who wants something working out of the box, for the most part.
Again you are misunderstanding what is being said. "Preview" is Google Marketing speak to imply "Alpha", "Beta", "Release Candidate". And just means it's not ready for the public. The folks that are running HoneyComb on the nook are running pre-production Honeycomb.

I don't believe Honeycomb was rushed and released early to the public. Does it have issues, yes as all software does.

Quote:
The main difference between most recent Android Tablets and NC is the Tegra processor. On the NC, even when you will be able to install a most recent Android version, the original hardware is still there. The result is, ending with a device which is being pushed to the limits and the battery will drain faster or the CPU will over heat. This is particularly true with Android 3.0
The problem with your logic here is that is not what has transpired. 2.2 had speed improvements over 2.1 and 2.3 had speed improvements over 2.2. By your argument each version should have required more hardware when in fact lesser hardware became more capable.

Quote:
Honeycomb is focussed to a bigger screen and more "fancy" video experience; a powerful processor is key for that, something that NC simply does not have, and it is not bad or good, is just that it was not designed for that.
There is that aspect of Honeycomb. But for many they just want the optimized tablet interface and improved browser. Not everybody want's a tablet for playing the latest video games and watching HD videos.

I'm with you here, I'm eyeing some of those dual core Tegras, but I'm waiting for a 7" honeycomb device since anything bigger is not portable.

I really did not buy the nook with hopes of upgrading it to an android tablet. As you did I would have chosen to buy one outright. However my wife gifted me the nook so I decided to keep it and just upgrade it to a tablet.

In the end I got the device I wanted for $250 instead of paying for $799.(Those where the rates at Christmas).

Quote:
I guess that at the end is up to the user decide what is more important or not: get something cheap that they can hack later or buy something that works out of the box and was designed and tested for. Or even wait a year or so when prices go down a bit.
I'm with you here and agree with you. But I think part of the charm the nook has is that the hardware is just as capable as the GT at half the price. With the right software.

Quote:
By the way, even if the GT does not get Honeycomb upgrade (which at this point is just mere especulation) the possibility of hacking the device is basically the same that with a NC.
Yes Samsung Galaxy products have very good development support. However once you start rooting/ROMing your GT your in the same boat as the nook, but there is still one thing you can't do with the GT and that is get it as cheap as a nook
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

X

I disagree with you when comparing NC hardware vs GT. I don't believe they are comparable but the GT being much better, even lighter. And I'm not talking about price but mere specs.

And I'm sorry, I do believe it was rushed. And again, I truly like Moto Xoom concept, I even thought in buying one when Ken, another forum user, was in same search as well few weeks ago, but releasing something to the public when you can't read the SD card, does not run Flash (one of battle icons for Android) and does not support 4G when it supposes to, it clearly says to me it was rushed to the market. And I wanted to fully enjoy my device now, not few days or weeks later. Not a coincidence it was launched few days before iPad 2, don't you think? It is not just a firmware or Os patch, is bringing the whole product back to a major upgrade, hardware level. That sounds like a rush to me.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-17-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
X

I disagree with you when comparing NC hardware vs GT. I don't believe they are comparable but the GT being much better, even lighter. And I'm not talking about price but mere specs.

And I'm sorry, I do believe it was rushed. And again, I truly like Moto Xoom concept, I even thought in buying one when Ken, another forum user, was in same search as well few weeks ago, but releasing something to the public when you can't read the SD card, does not run Flash (one of battle icons for Android) and does not support 4G when it supposes to, it clearly says to me it was rushed to the market. And I wanted to fully enjoy my device now, not few days or weeks later. Not a coincidence it was launched few days before iPad 2, don't you think? It is not just a firmware or Os patch, is bringing the whole product back to a major upgrade, hardware level. That sounds like a rush to me.
How would you compare the ipad 2 experience with the Galaxy Tab? I may need to buy an ipad 2 for work, and I'm curious about how you use each one. My wife has the original ipad, and I have a rooted nook color. The biggest difference for me is the screen size vs. device portability. Thanks!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote