Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
Amadeus
Amadeus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Reader
Non-US Residents - Any luck with Sony Connect???

I'm living in Europe and just got my Sony Reader. The box disappointingly says that the Sony Connect store is limited to US residents only.

Has anyone from outside the US sucessfully registered their Reader? Did you have to give proof of address, or did you just put in any old address? If so, maybe I'll use the address of Sony's office in the USA, but before trying to register the Reader I just wanted to find out if others have had problems - I don't want to end up with it permanently locked out of the site.

This DRM stuff stinks when even those who are willing to pay for the content are prevented from doing so.
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To register your reader you just have to check the "I live in the US" box and you'll get your $50 credit - you don't have to enter an address.

If you want to buy content from the "Connect" store (which is of no interest to me personally!), "Leaping Gnome" on this forum very kindly offers to buy Connect gift certificates for forum members outside the US, which can be used in the Connect store - send him a PM and he'll sort it out for you (you pay him by PayPal).

There are other sources of books, of course. There are 10s of thousands of out of copyright classics available from "Project Gutenberg", and if you're interested in SF and fantasy, Baen do DRM-free books in open formats at sensible prices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2007, 04:22 AM   #3
Amadeus
Amadeus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Reader
Thanks for the quick response Harry. Yes, I've already got about 6000 free eBooks in both English and Spanish (for my Cuban wife), although some of these need re-formatting. I'm just figuring that for newer content instead of increasing my 2000+ pBook collection I might just want to buy the odd item on the Connect site, so once again thanks for the help.
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
mlkmnz
Enthusiast
mlkmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony Reader
Works fine for me in NZ, but of course I ticked the "I live in the states" box....
mlkmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
In the Sony Connect Store, are there only books in english or also in other languages?

Best Regards

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert