Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooker View Post
anything between 500ma and 1500ma should work. The important thing is the voltage (5v). You do not want to stick a different voltage into it. 5.15v might be close enough though, who knows. Also sometimes these adapters have polarity indications on them, and that will usually be important too (ie, whether the outer shell of the plug is positive or negative). There is usually a drawing right on the ac adapter, of two circles, one inside the other, representing the outer and inner shells of the plug, and there will be a + or - mark next to each, indicating the polarity.

But if all you're doing is getting a usb-ac adapter like the ebay one linked above, polarity should not matter there.
Mine looks very similar to the one in ebay link.
I didn't find any drawings though. I know what you are talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4392208281_f26922c7fe.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	59823   Click image for larger version

Name:	myszka_logitech_performance_mouse_mx_1D.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	59824  

Last edited by astra; 10-15-2010 at 05:20 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
Labrat
Sony and Nook Fan
Labrat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD, Nook HD+, Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light, Kobo Minis
There's already a thread about chargers for the new 350 and 650, and NO, not all those generic chargers work.

I have a charger for iPod and iPhone and just switched out the cable for the 650 but it doesn't work. I have a DLO power bug and it doesn't work either although it works on the Apple units.

The charger for my Motorola bluetooth headset H680 does work though.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 04:22 AM   #18
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
the kindle 3 charger works. It is 5.0v 0.86A
it charged my 350 and 650 with no problems and the charge has lasted a couple of weeks so far.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:20 AM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
There's already a thread about chargers for the new 350 and 650, and NO, not all those generic chargers work
Yeah, I am kinda aware about it. I have started it Nobody replied over there, so I asked it here.
Guess I won't know till I get 650 and test it.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
I'm confused. The AC micro plugs need to have 5 connections to match the micro end of the new USB cable supplied for the 650. Is this correct? Many of the older USB plugs under discussion have only 4 connections, even though the amperage may be ok. What am I missing here?
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #21
astra
The Introvert

How do you know the number of connection? Is it visible?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #22
Labrat
Sony and Nook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinca View Post
I'm confused. The AC micro plugs need to have 5 connections to match the micro end of the new USB cable supplied for the 650. Is this correct? Many of the older USB plugs under discussion have only 4 connections, even though the amperage may be ok. What am I missing here?
I don't have my Sony cable with me but the Motorola charger for my H680 bluetooth headset DOES have 5 wires inside.

That doesn't explain why some of the apple chargers, and others don't work though. The Sony cable has the right configuration so it's correct on that end. The charger portion is wrong, in some. Hmmmm?

Last edited by Labrat; 10-16-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #23
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
I don't have my Sony cable with me but the Motorola charger for my H680 bluetooth headset DOES have 5 wires inside.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #24
Labrat
Sony and Nook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Yah! If I hold the plug up to the light so I can see inside, I can see 5 wires on the inside of the surface that is the shorter (top). From the outside, unless you tilt it up to where you can see inside, it just looks like a hole.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #25
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Yah! If I hold the plug up to the light so I can see inside, I can see 5 wires on the inside of the surface that is the shorter (top). From the outside, unless you tilt it up to where you can see inside, it just looks like a hole.
So, you don't have to cut it, you can detect the number of connections by looking into the micro-usb connector?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #26
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
The extra pin, #4, is just for identification.

Quote:
Pin Name Cable color Description
1 VCC Red +5 V
2 D− White Data −
3 D+ Green Data +
4 ID none permits distinction of A plug from B plug
* A plug: connected to Signal Ground
* B plug: not connected
5 GND Black Signal Ground

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #27
Labrat
Sony and Nook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
The extra pin, #4, is just for identification.

Etienne66
Something has to be different in the charger portion of the unit because some chargers work and some don't. Even though the Sony cable will plug into an iPod charger, it won't charge for me.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #28
Labrat
Sony and Nook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
So, you don't have to cut it, you can detect the number of connections by looking into the micro-usb connector?
That's a big 10-4!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #29
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
The new Sony readers adhere to the specified standard for USB chargers. When connected to a USB charger ONLY, not a computer, the data pins 2 and 3 need to be shorted. If they are not, the reader thinks it is connected to a computer and will not charge.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #30
astra
The Introvert

OK. I give up.
I don't understand anything.
I get 650, then we will see.