Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Sheet Music Now Available for Kindle

Amazon now has sheet music available for download. Prices vary, as does selection.

Kindle the Muse

Link care of Gizmodo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle-muse-beeth-oven-284x300.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	31951  
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Does TTS work on these?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Speaking of TTS, does it work with PDF?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

TTS on PDFs? No. PDFs on the Kindle can be searched and bookmarked and that is about it.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
If I'm not mistaken, the format of the music is basically already a PDF file. The music is offered by "FreeHand" which has offered a dedicated sheet-music reader for several years.

I have often relished using the DX for reading music. However, the timeout is an issue. To make it really useful, Kindle will have to come up with a way to disable the timeout because it depending on what you are playing/practicing, it would be a pain to have the thing keep switching over to the screen saver.

Specifications:

MusicPad Pro Plus -- $899.
• Size: 13.3" x 9.9" x 1.8" (just over 4 lbs.)
• Easy-to-read, low glare, touch screen
• 12.1" TFT LCD back-lit, color display eliminates need for external music stand lighting
• Resolution: 1024 x 768
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Music pad Pro

Could that thing be used as an ebook reader - or more specifically a pdf reader?

Nice big screen - back lit - annotation capable hmmmm
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Yeah, I have a lot of PDFs I'm reading currently. It works great for that.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Oh, sorry... I didn't connect with the above post.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
If they add a microphone it should be able to follow the music you're playing and automatically turn the page for you. I think a lot of musicians would appreciate that.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
If they add a microphone it should be able to follow the music you're playing and automatically turn the page for you. I think a lot of musicians would appreciate that.
I know they have MIDI capability and want to say it has some ability to "play out" somehow. I'm pretty sure they used to cost well over a thousand bucks so the price has really come even in the last 6 months.

More features:

• Scan your music library into a computer and then convert
• Fully annotative with zoom in and zoom out feature while writing
• Add or erase rehearsal marks and notations
• Easy-to-read personal on screen color notes
• Extensive library of notation symbols
• Text annotation via a virtual keyboard
• Half-page turn option for look-ahead viewing in portrait mode
• Two-page display in landscape mode
• Remote easy page turning
• Audio Player for MIDI
• File browser and quick search
• Expanded play list capability

Here's a link to the full description. I looked for what formats they support but it doesn't say anything (as I say, it predates ebook readers so I'm pretty sure they really didn't care about the ebook of babel that was developing around them).

MusicPadPro

And... just in case you thought the Kindle DX was too small, check this out:

purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Amazon now has sheet music available for download. Prices vary, as does selection.
Is this at all usable with K2? I downloaded a sample but it didn't include any actual sheet music...
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the format of the music is basically already a PDF file. The music is offered by "FreeHand" which has offered a dedicated sheet-music reader for several years.

I have often relished using the DX for reading music. However, the timeout is an issue. To make it really useful, Kindle will have to come up with a way to disable the timeout because it depending on what you are playing/practicing, it would be a pain to have the thing keep switching over to the screen saver.
I'm curious: why a DX? because it is cheaper than MusicPad? Seems like another limitation of DX in this regard is the inability to turn pages easily (for music that spans several pages). But for some uses it probably would work fine.

Another option to check out is MusicReader (software only - need to have laptop/tablet): http://www.musicreader.net/
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
mmm Interesting. I'd hate to site read off the K2, but the DX might be good for it. The musicpadpro looks like the ultimate though!

I sight read pretty poorly now, out of practice, but I'm going to start learning piano (guitarist mostly), so new options for sheet music are welcome.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I think iRex readers, with bigger screens and no keyboard below them, will do a better job for music sheets.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, when I went to see the War of the Worlds two weeks ago, I noticed that the orchestra didn't have paper in front of them, but LCD screens... And I never saw them "turning" a page, so I assume it was all done electronically. There was a sort of clock (I've absolutely no knowledge of music and musical terms, especially for orchestras!) underneath it. I think the turning of the page was connected with that clock (I was sitting in front of the conductor (I believe it's called) so had a decent view )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote