Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
ajm23
ajm23 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Manual Paragraph Spacing

I have several ebooks that came with no paragraph spacing (i.e. no line breaks in between paragraphs and lines of dialogue). Checking the 'insert blank line between paragraphs" in the Look & Feel section doesn't help.

Does anyone handy with CSS know of a conditional command to enter a line break after quotes? I figure, at the very least, I can render the dialogue readable.

Thanks for any tips.
ajm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm23 View Post
I have several ebooks that came with no paragraph spacing (i.e. no line breaks in between paragraphs and lines of dialogue). Checking the 'insert blank line between paragraphs" in the Look & Feel section doesn't help.

Does anyone handy with CSS know of a conditional command to enter a line break after quotes? I figure, at the very least, I can render the dialogue readable.

Thanks for any tips.
No
As in 'No magic bullet'

You probably have one of those Single Paragraph books where every newline was done by using a <br />

You need to (carefully) edit the source ( Sigil below) CODE and replace most <br /> with a </p> <p class=...
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
ajm23
ajm23 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I hadn't tried Sigil before.

So it turns out there's not even <br> in there. Just one paragraph for every chapter.

Here's what I did: 1) Converted the file to Epub and exported form Calibre. 2) Opened with Sigil and went to the find & replace window in html view. 3) Replaced all {."} with {."</p><p>}. I applied this to all htmls. 4) I added the Epub back to Calibre, converted it to Mobi, and replaced the file on my kindle.

It's not perfect, but the result is much more readable.

Thanks for the inspiration.
ajm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm23 View Post
Replaced all {."} with {."</p><p>}. I applied this to all htmls.
Don't forget all of the {!"} or {?"}
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, dialogue, line spacing, look & feel, paragraph spacing