Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #136
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@qlob: I'm working on it. (In fact, it's mostly done [@twobob: and my K4 is sitting sleeping with the cover of 1984 ^^]).

That's also why I *love* the timing of the 5.3.0 update... The K3 port of this to finish, KindleTool to fix, and how to deal with 5.3.0, that was fun!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #137
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
And Microsoft just patented technology (based on the kinect) to have your TV watch you, and stop the movie you are watching if it decides there are too many people in the room for the media license that you purchased. That sure sounds like 1984 all over again. It will suck when your TV asks you to authorize purchasing a license upgrade, or have somebody leave the room, before you can resume watching your "licensed" blu-ray media that you "purchased" at a store. That alone will encourage piracy, just so you can have privacy from your TV and the media companies.

Multiple 1984 confluences happening here and now.

And isn't 1984 also the ebook that made amazon infamous for reaching into kindles and deleting it?

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-08-2012 at 06:52 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #138
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
And Microsoft just patented technology (based on the kinect) to have your TV watch you, and stop the movie you are watching if it decides there are too many people in the room for the media license that you purchased.
How can a TV count the number of people in the room? Can the remote sensor do something like that?
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #139
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
alaskazimm

Facial recognition would allow it to work out how many people are in the room.
I feel sorry for my friend who always gets the collectors editions of games.
Ezio needs to leave the room now, you have too many people watching this film.
(sorry for the AC reference, it's the game I'm playing at the moment.)
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #140
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
alaskazimm

Facial recognition would allow it to work out how many people are in the room.
I feel sorry for my friend who always gets the collectors editions of games.
Ezio needs to leave the room now, you have too many people watching this film.
(sorry for the AC reference, it's the game I'm playing at the moment.)
Ssssh!
Your book may be listening to you.

Most Kindle models have (or had) a microphone.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #141
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
It's ok knc1, I took my hidden blade to that ages ago
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #142
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bump ScreenSavers to v0.4.N.

* Quick release for the update to MobiUnpack 0.59 (and to keep in sync with SS 0.31.N).
Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #143
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
And Microsoft just patented technology (based on the kinect) to have your TV watch you, and stop the movie you are watching if it decides there are too many people in the room for the media license that you purchased. That sure sounds like 1984 all over again. It will suck when your TV asks you to authorize purchasing a license upgrade, or have somebody leave the room, before you can resume watching your "licensed" blu-ray media that you "purchased" at a store. That alone will encourage piracy, just so you can have privacy from your TV and the media companies.

Multiple 1984 confluences happening here and now.

And isn't 1984 also the ebook that made amazon infamous for reaching into kindles and deleting it?

I envisioned this years ago. The technology. although my vision was it would scan you and allow you to try out clothing and goods on the screen by touching the item you wanted (I admit that I did not consider full 3D gesture technology, I was about 12 at the time )

The trick would be that each object on the screen would be automatically linked back to places you could buy it and you click it and someone delivers it.

Well hey presto from the mouths of babes. Probably I didn't "invent it" but it just strikes me as resonant that one of the (few) childhood daydreams came real. well close enough

--------------------------------------

the fact is this device is sold into countries where is perfectly legal to adjust them. I neither chide not cheer Amazon for their actions. they are what they are I suppose.

Hopefully this will be a "pebble in the shoe", not a "shoe in the pebbles"
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #144
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Its a "pebble in the shoe" - because the Kpw serial port has just been confirmed.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #145
Leir
Enthusiast
Leir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Even after re-installing the jailbreak and screensaver hack (i'm using the cover function btw), my screensaver still shows the first book i ever read with the screensaver cover function hack, even though i've selected another book. Anyone got the cover function to work properly?
Leir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #146
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Leir: If the time & date (and the Recent sorting) is still wonky, I don't expect a reinstall to change anything .

(A factory reset, THEN a reinstall, on the other hand, maybe, but then again, maybe not, and it's a factory reset, might be a bit painful ;/).
Old 11-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #147
Leir
Enthusiast
Leir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Leir: If the time & date (and the Recent sorting) is still wonky, I don't expect a reinstall to change anything .

(A factory reset, THEN a reinstall, on the other hand, maybe, but then again, maybe not, and it's a factory reset, might be a bit painful ;/).
How do I go about doing a factory reset? My books are sideloaded from calibre, dont think that I will lose much. However, if i did a factory reset, will they update my firmware to 5.3.0?
Leir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #148
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Leir: That's a valid concern . The update is pretty massive, and, if your PW is WiFi only, the factory reset will kill the registration & wifi settings, so, no wireless, (and even if it's 3G, I don't think you're likely to get it, especially given its size. Regardless, switch to airplane mode ASAP to be safe), but better check that it's not waiting in the wings on the USB drive before proceeding.

(FYI, the factory reset is accessible in the Settings' menu).

Another solution would be to follow the 'safe' 5.3.0 update instructions (cf. the JailBreak's Bridge section) first.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #149
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
@NiLuJe

first of all, thanks for creating this Screensavers Hack. it works well generally, but they are a few issues which i hope you can look into.

i'm not familiar with how book covers are stored in mobi files (in fact, i'm confused by it), but i realised that each mobi file can have 2 covers or more(?). anyway, i found that when there are 2 covers, the one used by your screensavers hack is different from that used by JBPatch's cover patch. not sure if it will be a good idea to use the same cover.

i also encountered in one instance when the cover couldn't be shown as a screensaver. investigation revealed that, the book had 2 covers build-in (the extra cover only showed up when i read it with Calibre's viewer, but not Mobipocket reader). only after i've removed the extra cover using Calibre's convert books function, then it was able to show up as a screensaver. would you consider modifying your hack to take into consideration this situation? thanks again for your great work.

ps. just to show you why i'm confused by the way book covers are stored, for eg, when i viewed the metadata of Alice in Wonderland, there's a cover which is different from the one show in JBPatch. if i add a new book cover, screensaver hack will show this new cover.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #150
knc1
Going Viral

This is the only explanation of the cover behavior that I can think of, although a technical reason probably exists also. (Hmm... I could post a Kpw screensaver sized copy of that, if anyone wants it for their 5.3.0 firmware. Or make your own, Tinniel's illustrations are out of copyright: http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alice2a.html)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ALice_tmb.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	95924  

Last edited by knc1; 11-11-2012 at 05:21 AM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch