Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
ckirchho
ckirchho is on a distinguished road

Device: none
iBooks: Avoid page breaks within table rows/cells

Hello,

what would be the best practice to avoid page breaks within table rows or cells in iBooks?

In an exemplary EPUB, currently (depending on the font size) some table rows are split. Even the text in the cells of the row is split, resulting in the upper part of the characters appearing at the bottom of one page, and the lower part of the characters appearing at the top of the next page (see attached screenshot).

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards

Christian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	76681  
ckirchho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't see how actual table rows (HTML) could cause part of a character to be on one screen, and the lower part to be on another screen. Is the table an image, perhaps?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
That's a quirk in iBooks that happens with long tables. I have an entire chapter that was a table. I ended up reformatting it so it wasn't a table. That was actually a better way to present it as the column headers disappear after the first page. It requires some imagination to think outside the box. (or table)
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
ckirchho
ckirchho is on a distinguished road

Device: none
@susan_cassidy: No, it is not an image.

@wannabee: That's what I was afraid to hear. The problem is that EPUB is an reflowable format, so if I'd optimize all the tables for a certain orientation and font size, the user might just turn the iPad (and by thus change the orientation), or change the font size, and everything will reflow and the once optimize tables might break again...

Thanks to both of you for your responses

Christian
ckirchho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
ebookn00b
ebookn00b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad 2
According to the iBookstore Asset Guide "iBooks now automatically recognizes
tables. In Flowing Books, iBooks sizes large tables to fit within the width of the page. When a reader double taps the table, the table opens in a new web view that overlays the book. In this web view, the reader can pan and zoom in on the table." I have not found this to work with my tables.... anyone else?
ebookn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I just tried it. Two taps on a long table enlarges it to full page which is scrollable.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
ebookn00b
ebookn00b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad 2
Well I finally figured it out. The way I got it to work was to duplicate the html file. I kept it the same name and just added a 1 on the end. Added the duplicated file to the spine and put linear="no" on the end and now it works.

Last edited by ebookn00b; 06-11-2012 at 11:48 AM.
ebookn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's pretty hit or miss on devices/apps that will honor the linear="no" attribute, just so you know. I think you're alright with iBooks, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote