Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Contact/Calendar Synchs with Outlook

Some time ago I asked, without any responses this question. I want to have a contact book that synchs with my Outlook Contact list. If I could have a calendar synch also that would be great. The synch could come from my PC Outlook or my iPhone, as the latter synchs with my PC. Suggestions?

It it's not possible to synch these regularly, is it possible to at least import the outlook/or iPhone Contacts to my Fire? In effect what I'm asking is how can I get my huge contacts on my Fire, one way or another? Synched, Imported, etc.

Should such questions be posed as a new thread or as part of tips and tricks?

kdoc

Last edited by kdoc; 12-19-2011 at 11:54 AM.
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Calendar Syncing

Calendar syncing with Outlook is possible, though somewhat kluge to set up. Once set up though it will automatically sync. Here is how I did it on my Android devices.
  1. Set up a Google Calendar via the internet. (You can do this via your PC.)
  2. Install and set up Google Calendar Sync on your PC. (This allows Outlook on your PC to sync with your Google Calendar.)
  3. Install an app like CalenGoo on the Kindle Fire and set it up to sync with your Google Calendar. (The calendar app you install must be able to sync with Google Calendars.)

Basically you are syncing your Outlook calendar to your Google Calendar then syncing your Google Calendar to CalenGoo on the Fire. As i said it is kluge but it works automatically after you get it all set up.

Contacts Importing

I've not found a way to sync Outlook contacts to the Fire. However, you can import your Outlook contacts to your GMail account then import those into your Fire. Again, it is kluge and it requires manually updating the list on both the Outlook PC and on the Fire.

Rooting Fire

The only way to sync calendars and contacts directly with Outlook would require rooting your Fire then installing Google Services. Even then there is no good way to sync the contacts that I know of.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-19-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
https://www.forge.funambol.org/learn/

https://www.forge.funambol.org/download/#phone

https://market.android.com/details?i...ndroidsync&_=d
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
Some time ago I asked, without any responses this question. I want to have a contact book that synchs with my Outlook Contact list. If I could have a calendar synch also that would be great. The synch could come from my PC Outlook or my iPhone, as the latter synchs with my PC. Suggestions?

It it's not possible to synch these regularly, is it possible to at least import the outlook/or iPhone Contacts to my Fire? In effect what I'm asking is how can I get my huge contacts on my Fire, one way or another? Synched, Imported, etc.

kdoc
I'm running Outlook 2003 and it will not Export to a vCard format. That is what the Fires Contacts will import. Don't know what version you are running or if the newer versions of Outlook will Export to vCard. You could probably export your Contacts to a Windows comma separated value file and then import that to another program that will export to vCard.

I have Comcast as my ISP and I used the address book from there to import to the Fire. Comcast exported to vCard.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
kdoc
Enthusiast

Thanks Folks, I'll consider the first two of these suggestions, Google connectivity and funambol. I have ATT ISP, which exports to a vCard. Once I export from ATT, how/where do I import in Fire?

kdoc
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
janicew
Enthusiast
janicew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire
If you're willing to pay for an app, Exchange by Touchdown will do all that. It has a 30 day free trial and then the key is currently on sale for $9.99.

It is working well with my company's Exchange 2003 server. It will only synchronize your local contacts, not the global address book, but local contacts sync great, as does the calendar. There is a TouchDown for Tablet from the company also listed, but it doesn't have support for the Fire for some reason. It also includes a remote wipe option including an email initiated one. It will only support one Exchange account at a time however (have to switch profiles).

For company email, I'm a fan. Now if I could only find a GMail client I like. (And yes, I've tried all the ones mentioned here, what I'm missing most is threaded messages.) (I like to keep my personal and company inboxes separate.)
janicew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
bubblehead
bubblehead began at the beginning.

hello kdoc,

I sync my Droidx and Fire with Outlook Contacts and Calendar on my PC.
You will have to purchase a product called CompanionLink

http://www.companionlink.com/android/outlook
for your PC, and download a free ap called Deju Office on your Fire.

After that follow the instructions at the CompanionLink site.
This combination has worked for 2 years with my Droidx and a month with my Fire. It will sync contacts and calendar both ways.

Good Luck.
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Folks, I'll consider the first two of these suggestions, Google connectivity and funambol. I have ATT ISP, which exports to a vCard. Once I export from ATT, how/where do I import in Fire?

kdoc
You can connect to your computer with a USB cord if you have one or use ES File Explorer to transfer the file to theFire.

Carol
Old 12-20-2011, 03:03 AM   #9
kdoc
Enthusiast

Yeh, before receiving this suggestion, I went into ATT online, exported via VCF zip file to my PC, unzipped, attached the Fire via USB, copied all of the VCF files (all 732 of them), pasted them into a folder I made within Downloads in the Fire, then unconnected the USB, went into Contacts and Imported the files into that app, and what do you know, they work . Only problem I see, if there's more than one email or phone number, you only get one of them. But basically, I'm very pleased. I'll have to update, but for a start this is fine.

Thanks for your help

kdoc
Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Yeh, before receiving this suggestion, I went into ATT online, exported via VCF zip file to my PC, unzipped, attached the Fire via USB, copied all of the VCF files (all 732 of them), pasted them into a folder I made within Downloads in the Fire, then unconnected the USB, went into Contacts and Imported the files into that app, and what do you know, they work . Only problem I see, if there's more than one email or phone number, you only get one of them. But basically, I'm very pleased. I'll have to update, but for a start this is fine.

Thanks for your help

kdoc
Glad you got it working.

Carol
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
aadobson
aadobson began at the beginning.

Windows Live Calendar on Kindle

Quote:

kdoc
A simple (if not terribly elegant) solution for the calendar, if you have already used the Hotmail Outlook Connector to synch Outlook with a Calendar on Windows Live, is to log into Windows Live on the Kindle Fire, locate the calendar, and bookmark the page so you can relaod it easily. This also shows the entries for any shared calendars.

Synching contacts is still a problem. You can access the Contacts uploaded to the Windows Live site, but the only way to use them is to send email vis the webmail Hotmail interface--and the connection to the Contacts page doesn't seem very stable.
aadobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
craigceg
craigceg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I'm running Outlook 2003 and it will not Export to a vCard format. That is what the Fires Contacts will import. Don't know what version you are running or if the newer versions of Outlook will Export to vCard. You could probably export your Contacts to a Windows comma separated value file and then import that to another program that will export to vCard.

I have Comcast as my ISP and I used the address book from there to import to the Fire. Comcast exported to vCard.

Carol
I know this is an older post, however my information will be helpful to people in the future. Carol is correct in stating that Outlook 2003 will not export contacts as VCF, HOWEVER you can get them. Go to the contacts in Outlook, select them all, then go to "Actions" in the toolbar and select "forward as Vcard" and it will open a blank email with all your contacts as attached Vcards. Send the email to yourself. Open the received email and then "save attachments" to a folder of your choice. You now have all your contacts in VCF format.
craigceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigceg View Post
I know this is an older post, however my information will be helpful to people in the future. Carol is correct in stating that Outlook 2003 will not export contacts as VCF, HOWEVER you can get them. Go to the contacts in Outlook, select them all, then go to "Actions" in the toolbar and select "forward as Vcard" and it will open a blank email with all your contacts as attached Vcards. Send the email to yourself. Open the received email and then "save attachments" to a folder of your choice. You now have all your contacts in VCF format.
I don't get this option.

Carol
Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #14
adolphhill5
adolphhill5 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 4s
Connect your iPhone to your computer, and open iTunes>Info Tab.

If contacts and calendar are set to iCloud, you will see "Your contacts are being synched with your iPhone over the iCloud. Over the air settings can be changed on your iPhone."

On the iPhone, go to Settings>iCloud, and you may find that your Contacts and Calendars are set to sync with iCloud (the setting is "ON"). If you turn one or more of these settings "OFF", you will be asked whether you want to delete the data on the iPhone. You can choose whether you want this, but for me, I kept the data on the iPhone that had previously been synced with iCloud.

You'll notice that upon taking this step, you now have the option to sync your Contacts and Calendar to Outlook.

Good luck!
adolphhill5 is offline   Reply With Quote