Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
nevnet
nevnet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ebook Reader PRS-505
Sony PRS-505 SDHC & Calibre

I'm about to buy a Sony eBook PRS-505 and just had a few questions.

Does the unit support SDHC cards? I'm thinking about buy a 16GB SDHC card.

Does Calibre support SDHC cards?

Thanks in advance.
nevnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Not sure, but in practice, most of us don't normally use add-on storage & when we do, we've found that it's better to stick to the smaller sizes (1 or 2GB) as even the number of books they hold is normally way more than the Sony can convieniently manage.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I wouldn't bother with a 16gb card unless you're putting massive files on it. I've got a 2gb SD card, over 1400 books on it, and still have 1gb free on it.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree with--you really don't need a very big SD card with your reader. I have about 275 full length books on the internal memory of the reader (which I think is only about 200mb).

But, to answer your question, with the latest firmware Sony added support for SDHC cards. But, I've read posts here from several people who've had problems when they try to add large numbers (>1000) books to their reader.

Hope you enjoy your reader!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
nevnet

thanks everyone for the quick responses
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
nevnet

Quick thought... does the speed of the SD card play a major factor in use ie will a standard card perform just as well as the higher priced SD extreme type cards?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I have been using a 4 gig SDHC card since I got my reader. It works fine and it doesn't noticeably effect the speed of the reader at all. However, Calibre does NOT support it. You can't move your files onto it using Calibre. You can only use the memory stick. The Sony application does support moving files to an SDHC card, but I like Calibre better anyway.

My advice is buy a Sony Memory stick Pro duo, which you can get in up to 4 GB, and which Calibre does support.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
nevnet

Cheers HistoryWes

Really loving the eBook Reader
Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I have been using a 4 gig SDHC card since I got my reader. It works fine and it doesn't noticeably effect the speed of the reader at all. However, Calibre does NOT support it. You can't move your files onto it using Calibre. You can only use the memory stick. The Sony application does support moving files to an SDHC card, but I like Calibre better anyway.

My advice is buy a Sony Memory stick Pro duo, which you can get in up to 4 GB, and which Calibre does support.
I bought a 2 Gig Sony Memory stick duo for my reader and it works fine also with Calibre. I still have lots of memory with more than 500 books in store. WOuld you really need to store that much books in your reader?
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill75 View Post
WOuld you really need to store that much books in your reader?
It's not neccessarily the number of books, but also the size. Say an average ebook runs 150k-200k. (just a ballpark example) An average comic book can run 20-30mb.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
DuneSoldier
DuneSoldier began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post

I've been using a 16 GB card and calibre for over a month. It supports it just fine. That being said I'm not evening a fraction of the SD card as I keep only books I haven't read on the reader.
DuneSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, sdhc