Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What do you like best about your Bookeen?

I have a lot of friends who are constantly asking me - which is the best reader for them? And I have been going around asking owners of different brands of readers what sort of person is their readers best suited for. So what does your Bookeen excel at?

I'll give you an example of what I am looking for - my own Libra Pro is the cheapest on the market $100, doesn't have the personalization options of the kindle nor is is touch screen, nor does it have the simplicity of operation that the kobo has. So my Libra Pro stands out when you like electronic readers but don't want to pay the high prices.

All readers are best at something - So what makes the bookeen a standot?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
As French, and bookeen being a French company, that make communication with them easy. And support less of a mess
They're also among the e-readers you can find easily in France

The folder view feature, i really need that. That was the deal breaker with sony prs-650. my idea would be collections AND folder view. But if I can't have both...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Custom font selection and justification are two reasons why I'm not yet ready to change to a different reader.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Same here. Custom fonts, 12 different font sizes, folders, justification.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm a little out of touch with Bookeen. Have they got around to adding bookmarks to their ePub firmware yet? That was an absolutely amazing omission for it to have had.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm a little out of touch with Bookeen. Have they got around to adding bookmarks to their ePub firmware yet? That was an absolutely amazing omission for it to have had.
On the orizon. Though it's buggy, don't memorize them properly.
And my gen3 is the older device I have, that still have some support from it's manufacturer.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-22-2011 at 03:43 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The epub-firmware of Gen3/Opus can add bookmarks only to html- or txt-files, not to epubs, but your question points to another advantage of the (older) Bookeen devices:

One can choose between a mobi- or epub-firmware and one can change between these firmwares at any time and how often one wishes.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
I like the compactness and lightness of my Opus.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I bought my Opus in November 2010. I searched high and low and it took me 3 weeks to decide on the famous "which one should I buy". Since English is not my native tongue I needed something that would support my language (special fonts). Currently it supports 23 or even more languages. I love the 12 fonts choice, lightness and folders. And it's easy to manage via usb. I carry it everywhere and even ordered a decalgirl custom made skin for it. If I was sure Sony could read my language it would have been a tough choice - but it doesn't.

I love my Opus.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Supports 23 different languages, thats real interesting. I guess I should recommend one for a pal of mine that likes to read non-English books.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Supports 23 different languages, thats real interesting. I guess I should recommend one for a pal of mine that likes to read non-English books.
The 23 languages are for the user interface. The books can be in many more languages, and almost any ebook reader can read them. The only problem you may have with other readers is that the default font (which cannot usually be changed) does not include all the characters needed in other languages, but with the Cybooks you can upload and use whatever font you like, so you can have a font with all the needed characters. Most ePUB readers, however, support embedded fonts (fonts included with the book itself), so exotic languages can be displayed too.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
To me it's the lightness first of all. Followed by the screen quality (Gen3) folder view and fonts (as mentioned before). I stick to the mobi-firmware as it supports dictionary lookup, which works really well.
I also should mention, that the actual reader software (booreader) does a very good job (eg. compared to FBreader in some other devices).
Since Firmware 1.5/2.0 the boot-time got down to some 15 seconds, with 1.6 there is standby, which gets you back into your book instantly (it has some impact on the battery time though).

You cannot surf the web with it or download books directly over the air, but if you want to actually read, it still is a very good choice. I like to play around with my PB302, but when it comes to reading, I grab the Gen3.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
Jovvi
Connoisseur
Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, iPad and HTC Wildfire (Android)
The simplissity

I like my Opus best for the lightness and simplissity. I mean, sure it can not surf the web, does not have wifi or touchscreen, but those things that for some would be a disadvantage is for me an advantage. Since it only has one purpose, to read books, it is really good att that, and it is easy to explain how it works to someone with no prior knowledge of ereaders. And it has real nice design too...

Clara
Jovvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'll be shallow and say I really like the design of the Opus. I love all the colors available. I got a tortoise one that's no longer available and I love it..
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
nseger
nseger began at the beginning.

Device: bebook
After using a Beebook running openinkpot for some years, I finally decided to get me a new reader.
I settled for the Orizon after a lot of thought and surfing...

Sure, it lacks a lot of the features of openinkpot. But I really like it. Its simple. Nice display. Acceptable battery life. I installed my books, Droid fonts, and thats it.

I like that it finds new firmware upgrades over wifi, and the install was quick and smooth.

It feels solid in the hand. not as plastic as the old Beebook.
The touch screen is nice for flipping pages while reading.

Some people complained about the reflections on the touchscreen, but i have no problem with that.
Its a little bit more reflective than the Beebook, but not much.

/N
nseger is offline   Reply With Quote