Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
artimess
artimess began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
PDF files under calibre

I am new to this forum and I apologize for perhaps a simple question, I would like to have my PDF articles or books organized, cataloged by Calibre. I noticed the converter when converts it, the formatting of the PDF files are being lost. I was wondering how should I go about converting them without losing the formating of them.

Thanks,
Artimess
artimess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, artimess.

Someone should be along shortly to answer your question.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If all you are doing is storing and cataloging your PDFs, why and what are you converting to? Are you viewing them in calibre's viewer or letting another reader open them? I use calibre to catalog PDFs and view them in Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard and have not had that problem.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
To catalag and read PDF files using calibre you don't have o convert them. Just add the PDF files and open them. This should bring up your PDF reader (adobe, foxit whatever).
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
To expand on Lady F
there is an Preferences option to control when Calibres default viewer is used (or let your system handle it).

Open Preferences
Select Interface.
Select Behavior. change the ticks in the right column to your desires
(If you have a external reader, you might want to adjust the preferred output format)

Apply
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
To expand on Lady F
there is an Preferences option to control when Calibres default viewer is used (or let your system handle it).

Open Preferences
Select Interface.
Select Behavior. change the ticks in the right column to your desires
(If you have a external reader, you might want to adjust the preferred output format)

Apply
To keep expanding (as I unfortunally do as I age), the reader in calibre takes a ridiculously long time to open large PDFs (15 MB or so; I've never opened one that large because I get too impatient). Adobe Reader, Foxit, etc. work much better. If you use calibre's default settings, PDFs are not included in the formats to open in calibre's viewer. If you changed them, you can always follow theducks' directions to reset them. To open a book in calibre, you can click on the book, then click on View, or you can doubleclick on the book's line number to the left of the book's entry in calibre's main screen (I always use the latter). It will then open in either calibre's viewer or the viewer associated with the filetype of the book, depending on the settings in Preferences.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:49 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As I understand it, if you try and use the Calibre viewer for PDF files they are first internally converted to ePub which will be why they take a long time to come up. That begs the question - why would you ever want to use the Calibre viewer with PDF when as has already been noted a dedicated PDF viewer does a much better job.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
As I understand it, if you try and use the Calibre viewer for PDF files they are first internally converted to ePub which will be why they take a long time to come up. That begs the question - why would you ever want to use the Calibre viewer with PDF when as has already been noted a dedicated PDF viewer does a much better job.
I had to try it just to see how my image only PDFs would compare to viewing on Adobe Acrobat. I quit trying after two or three attempts because I have better things to do than dying of old age waiting on it. Adobe works well enough.

Tags
pdf conversion