Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #796
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I don't love the new one - I still think the big pictures and all the white-space wastes screen space.

Unless they decide to implement a filter on "available" on their Wish List, the new design makes it unwieldy to have a long wish list any more. (The old one took longer to load because it loaded them all, but then you could search on the phrase "add to cart" to find the ones available). I have one library with almost 200 items on my wish list, for example, with only 2-3 available at an given time. Another has almost 900 items on it - I've pretty much given up on looking at the older stuff, it just takes too long to sort through them all.

But it's definitely better than it was, with the fixes they've implemented.

About the only thing I can think of that I like "better" than the old design is the "bookmark" that will tell me if a book is already on my wish list.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #797
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I agree with previous posters that I would like to be able to see more than 20 books at a time on the wishlist, and would like to be able to filter the wishlist for available books.

I'm still very glad they brought back list view.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #798
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Mike@Overdrive

I agree with the other posters here... glad some of the features that were removed through the refresh are back, so thank you for listening to us. I do wish you had given us back all the features that we taken away - wish I could see from list view if an audio book is MP3 or WMA - the headphone icon is cute but so much less functional than spelling out the formats. The same goes for Kindle vs ePub formats.

Is there any way we can bring the page load times up to the old speed? The wait between clicking on something and waiting for the new page to load is close to dial-up speed from bqck in the day.
Mike, is anyone looking into improving load times?

Also, in the wishlist, please add a next/previous button at the bottom of the page - that's where you land once you read through the list on a page, not at the top. And why not show users their entire wishlist from the get go? The slow load times make this a poor design choice. This was also requested by others.

As others mentioned, the Android app does not remember some of the library card numbers, or even a specific library in a consortium, while the iPod app does in the case of my libraries.

Also, the apps suffer from the same slow load times (obviously), so please have the apps take patrons back to the last viewed page (my account in my case) when switching back and forth between "bookshelf" and "get books". When I need to check if I already downloaded a book, it's such a pain to constantly be taken back to the home page.

Last edited by xendula; 04-23-2013 at 11:12 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #799
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
In addition to seeing more of my wishlist, I really would like the cart back. Or at least something where I could put more than the number of books I can check out as a temporary holding place. I may have three books I am deciding between, and it helps to have them all in one place.

Other than those, I love the new design, especially the bookmark indicating a book is already on my wishlist - sometimes, a book would be on my wishlist more than once, so I would check it out more than once, because I only canceled the item from my wishlist when I checked it out or put it on hold.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #800
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Also, in the wishlist, please add a next/previous button at the bottom of the page - that's where you land once you read through the list on a page, not at the top.
Actually, this one has been implemented.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #801
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Then there is the new Wishlist views. Please make it more than 20 page per view. My wishlist is over 300 books long. 20 per page takes forever to navigate through.
Are you seeing that this appears to vary depending upon the library? I'm getting a list of 40 titles on the first page of my wish list at BPL (Brooklyn - not Boston ) and 20 titles per page thereafter.

But, at one of my local libraries, there are 66 titles on the first page and 20 per page thereafter.

Strange, no? I'm wondering if it's a an individual library issue rather than OverDrive?
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #802
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Here's something odd that I'm seeing at Brooklyn PL. From the home page, I click on "New @ BPL." I see a set of new ebooks. Then I click on the "ebook" filter on the left side, so I don't have to see any audiobooks. But the set of EBOOKs I'm seeing changes entirely. In both cases, "show me" is set to "my library's collection," and "sort by" is set to "date added to the site." So why did the books change? And which set is newer? I could put up some screenshots, but I'm lazy. Could someone try this and tell me if you see the same issue?

Thanks,
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #803
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Here's something odd that I'm seeing at Brooklyn PL. From the home page, I click on "New @ BPL." I see a set of new ebooks. Then I click on the "ebook" filter on the left side, so I don't have to see any audiobooks. But the set of EBOOKs I'm seeing changes entirely. In both cases, "show me" is set to "my library's collection," and "sort by" is set to "date added to the site." So why did the books change? And which set is newer? I could put up some screenshots, but I'm lazy. Could someone try this and tell me if you see the same issue?

Thanks,
eP
I see the same thing. It looks like the first time I visit the page, it is just sorted by "Added to site", but once you click on filter by ebooks, it sorts by "added to site" and then alphabetically?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #804
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Hmmm. Under the 'New @ Brooklyn Library' collection, I don't see the ebook filter at all. It only shows the 'Show Me' and 'Sort By' options.

I only get the ebook filter option when I'm browsing that particular format under 'Fiction', 'Non-Fiction', etc.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #805
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
In addition to seeing more of my wishlist, I really would like the cart back. Or at least something where I could put more than the number of books I can check out as a temporary holding place. I may have three books I am deciding between, and it helps to have them all in one place.

Other than those, I love the new design, especially the bookmark indicating a book is already on my wishlist - sometimes, a book would be on my wishlist more than once, so I would check it out more than once, because I only canceled the item from my wishlist when I checked it out or put it on hold.
If I click on a book on my wishlist, the book page opens up, I click "remove from wishlist", and then download the book, the book does not disappear from my wishlist. Learned this the hard way when I accidentally checked out a couple books more than once.

After I check out the book, I have to go back to the wishlist to remove the book from the list.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #806
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
That happens to me if I don't sign in for a few days. I also use the 'cut and paste from a note' method. When I'm logging in everyday, it does a good job of remembering me. I'm not using an app, though. Just doing it from my computer.
Check out KeyRingApp.com You can put all your loyalty/membership cards in there and access them from your smartphone/tablet/desktop. I've had my library cards in there, but haven't tried to see if the library can scan them. They recently added support for the barcode used on the library cards, but I already had manually entered mine.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #807
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just received (sent yesterday/today) three email messages saying I had eBooks available and none of them were yet available.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #808
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just received (sent yesterday/today) three email messages saying I had eBooks available and none of them were yet available.
I've had (variations on) that, too, recently. In those cases, it's been that the publisher pushed back the release date, but the Overdrive system wasn't updated.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #809
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I've had (variations on) that, too, recently. In those cases, it's been that the publisher pushed back the release date, but the Overdrive system wasn't updated.
Now I have something odd....

All of those eBook I got flagged about are now ready.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #810
FizzyWater

Got an email today that says Overdrive will be getting Hachette ebooks in stock this week.