Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #31
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
TSotW was chock-full of elements that could (I would think) push the story beyond a mere novel to the status of a compulsive page-turner: a mysterious villian, buried family secrets, standoff of good & evil (fermin & fumero), coming of age, beautiful descriptions of Barcelona, spiced with humor...

Yet I never felt a compulsion to continue reading. Two to four chapters, and I felt satisfied. I set it down and returned later, perhaps the next day. Maybe this is a book to be savored rather than devoured. I loved the translation, for the most part, and concur that the portrayal of post-war Barcelona is one of the best aspects of the story.

Others here are spot-on in their criticism of over-reliance on artificial revelations. It felt like the author belatedly realized, "Oh my, I need to bring this story to a close. How can I do that? Aha! I'll put it all in a letter!"

Anyway, an enjoyable and often beautiful story. I'm glad to have read it and yet I wouldn't recommend it to a friend, not with the vast ocean of other, amazing books available.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #32
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Yes, I agree with your thoughts on the book. It is best to read in small doses and reflect for a moment. I do feel that I've now experienced Barcelona.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #33
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
So I finally finished. I loved this story.

I loved the winding, meandering nature of Daniel's discoveries, and I enjoyed the parallels between the investigation and Daniel's own life - Penelopé and Bea.

When I finally read the letter towards the end that pulled everything together I was completely absorbed.

I will look to read the other books at some stage because the quality of the writing (or translation) was high and the story really did creep up on me. I agree that it wasn't a page-turner as such. It was more a book that I enjoyed in smaller doses.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote