Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #646
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
That's a minor thing, and can always be remedied with a software update.
Hahahhahahaahahaha! Software update! Hahahaha!! That's a good one! Hahahahhahaha....

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #647
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Hahahhahahaahahaha! Software update! Hahahaha!! That's a good one! Hahahahhahaha....

-Pie
Hey, I didn't say it had to be an official Sony one (although, they could end up being like the Playstation department and update every little whipstitch). If things are rooted, partial refresh is an option that can be added in.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #648
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
I did a search of the FCC database, and all the specs, a draft of the manual, (un-glamorous) pictures of the new Reader and a lot of other documents are there:

Quote:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout =500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=845330&fcc_i d=%27AK8PRST1%27

One strange thing the FCC website does (at least on my Mac) is that all the files are downloaded as "GetApplicationAttachment.html" You will need to change the .html to .pdf to open them, and you may want to rename the files as well.

My favorite quote from the manual so far:
Quote:
Do not poke people using the supplied stylus.
ludovicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #649
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovicus View Post
One strange thing the FCC website does (at least on my Mac) is that all the files are downloaded as "GetApplicationAttachment.html" You will need to change the .html to .pdf to open them, and you may want to rename the files as well.

My favorite quote from the manual so far:
Did the same thing for me. Chrome and Firefox.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #650
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
Bad news: the Sony T1 doesn't implement partial screen refresh like the latest Kobo or Nook Touch => black screen transition on each page turn instead of one out of six (or whatever you choose in reader's parameters).
That's a GOOD thing to most people. Not to mention that the Sony unit's are infinitely more stable than the hunk of junk put out by Kobo they call a reader.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #651
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Does anybody know if the T1 will support epub3?
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #652
dryphi
dryphi began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Does anyone know if the T1 will support Kindle AZW books converted to ePub via Calibre?
Or will this somehow be blocked by DRM?
dryphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #653
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryphi View Post
Does anyone know if the T1 will support Kindle AZW books converted to ePub via Calibre?
Or will this somehow be blocked by DRM?
If you've converted them to ePub, then they are DRM free. Calibre cannot convert anything that has DRM on it.

If they've been converted to ePub, then what ever formats they used to be in has no bearing. ePub is ePub, whether made from scratch or converted from something else.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #654
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
I can't help it. I am a geek but a complete newbie in ebook readers. Trying to finalize my decision on T1 (Pre-Order, RED) or Kindle Touch SO. Leaning toward T1 at the moment and read almost everything on this web site. (A gift for wife, RED is winning.)

Quick question, maybe it is not relevant.

Does anybody know what CPU either PRS-T1 or Kindle Touch SO have?

They all seems to be made by Freescale and ARM related. (i.MX35 from the Kindle keyboard.)? I couldn't find any concrete info on either one. (They are both just SO NEW.)
The spec matrix from mobilreader has both missing. Not even an entry for Kindle touch, understandably. And some news story erroneous mentioned 1Ghz Intel for the T1, but I think it is a mistake because that should be referring to the PC "requirement" for operation instead.

So, the reason for this is obvious. Software can be updated, but hardware is nearly impossible. What is the page-turn mechanism like between Kindle and Sony? Historically, speed and feel?

Thank you in advance of such a geeky question with almost NO users that have either and/or both, I realize that this is a hypothetical question, so I ask about the CPU instead.

Last edited by azxswq; 09-29-2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: clarification.
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #655
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by azxswq View Post

So, the reason for that is obvious. Software can be updated, but hardward is much much harder. What is the page-turn mechanism like between Kindle and Sony?

Thank you in advance of such a geeky question.
i have a Prs_650 & previously owned a Kindle 3 & also a Kobo. Only the page turns on Kobo were slow; on both Sony & Kindle were fast as they need to be i.e. fit for purpose. note that both of these are also capable of mp3 playback, so CPU inside is sufficient for that task also.

the T1 will be as good as, if not better than, the 650 so I don't think you need to worry about CPU power. e-ink refresh speed is probably the limiting factor.

i think ,from memory, that Kindle will open a book a tad faster than Sony, & on the K3 you could skip forward or back one chapter with a single keypress of the 5 way button ( touch may not have that facility though). with Sony you have to go to book options, then TOC, then select. ( but once there you have multiple select options )

K has some extra layout options that sony lacks, like set line height & toggle normal/compressed word formatting & it works properly in landscape mode; the sony landscape mode seems designed only for pdf & mangles novels. I doubt that has changed in T1

A far more important geek factor, for me is that sony uses EPUB, wheras K uses mobi - which is old, proprietary, & lacks some epub features (like Drop-caps, background shading , nested TOC levels)

epub is an evolving open standard & sony reader firmware is upgradable so can keep up with changes

Last edited by cybmole; 09-29-2011 at 07:24 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #656
azxswq
Connoisseur

Appreciate the help, your insight on the look-and-feel is very valuable to a newbie like me.

From what I can tell (and not much at that.), they both use the same processor/cpu. But E-Pub is huge, so I understand.

Thank you.

I was told to add a new thread here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...96#post1762896

In case if any body really knows the cpu/processor details.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #657
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But E-Pub is huge, so I understand.
you lost me there. epub is just html in a zip container , mobi is similar but has a weird compression scheme and has no decent edit tools. Epub is very easy to edit.

but epub is typically smaller e.g. for a free bestseller book from amazon that I got today i see mobi 464k, epub ( after de-drm & conversion ) 329k

compared with ,say music tracks, e-books are very small - about 1/10th the size of an mp3- so should never be an issue.

see this thread for more on cpu specs. also see wikipedia for previous kindle specs

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100299

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

Last edited by cybmole; 09-29-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #658
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I think he meant "huge" as in "popular" or "huge advantage"?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #659
azxswq
Connoisseur

Yes, I agree with anamardoll.

Thank you for the clarifications and I appreciate that thread, as it tells me the jumps from the previous versions of the Sony readers.

I still don't know about the T1 or K-Touch though. But I really don't expect anybody to know at this point.

Really appreciate the help.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #660
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, I agree with anamardoll.

Thank you for the clarifications and I appreciate that thread, as it tells me the jumps from the previous versions of the Sony readers.

I still don't know about the T1 or K-Touch though. But I really don't expect anybody to know at this point.

Really appreciate the help.
word in other threads (kindle forum) is that K touch has a faster processor than K3 - & that e.g. dictionary searches are much quicker. no word on how much faster in percent terms though

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs