Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #46
kurzon
Andrea K Höst
kurzon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
You might also like "Diving into the Wreck" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...into-the-wreck
kurzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #47
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmspen View Post
If you can find them, and are looking for some original space opera, check out the Lensman series from Doc E.E. Smith. True 40s space opera stuff. Fairly light reading...
The first one in the series is available right here on MR!
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #48
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Second the Santiago recommendation. The "Virgin Queen" is a pretty strong female character as I recall, as is the assassin whose moniker I forget, and the books are a light, fun read overall.

Resnick's books used to be available in e-format DRM-free via Fictionwise, but lately they've gotten picked up by some company called ZappTek which DRMs them (and charges more, to boot; I still kick myself for not buying from FW when I had the chance and they had the discount coupon).

He also has some non-Santiago books available at much better terms via Baen's Webscriptions.
The first book in his Penelope Bailey series is here at Baen. I rather enjoyed the series; it was very light and fast-paced and fun. Keep meaning to read the Santiago series and haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #49
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just throwing it out there because I haven't seen it mentioned.

The DUNE series by Frank Herbert is my favorite, the original is truly a masterork for this genre.
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #50
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I just finished Huff's first Valor book (Valor's Choice). This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Thanks!
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #51
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
The first one in the series is available right here on MR!
Note that this is from the magazine serial version. The actual full novel is rather larger.

(Weird US copyright laws of the time produced situations where magazine versions had different copyrights thatn books, and in many cases the magazine copyright was not renewed, so the magazine version became public domain but the book didn't.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #52
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Note that this is from the magazine serial version. The actual full novel is rather larger.

(Weird US copyright laws of the time produced situations where magazine versions had different copyrights thatn books, and in many cases the magazine copyright was not renewed, so the magazine version became public domain but the book didn't.)
______
Dennis
Ah, poo. I tried. I knew I had gotten his Princess of Mars book from somewhere.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #53
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzon View Post
You might also like "Diving into the Wreck" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...into-the-wreck
Just a quick note on this: Diving into the Wreck is written in First Person, Present Tense ("I talk to my shipmate", "We go to the ship" as opposed to ("I talked to my shipmate", "We went to the ship"). It drove me crazy.

I really enjoyed Rusch's Retrieval Artist series (which is more like a mystery series set in space than a space opera), but I couldn't finish Diving into the Wreck because of the tense. If present tense doesn't bother you, I would strongly recommended Rusch in general.

But I've bought about half a dozen books in the last year using the current gimmick of present tense and haven't been able to finish any of them. I wish someone had given me a warning.

(And before someone mentions excerpts, something to remember is that there are often prologues or initial chapters written in a different style from the full book. I didn't ALWAYS check - Rusch used to be an "auto-buy" for me, so I didn't check her book - but it's not always easy to tell if an entire book will be in present tense).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #54
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmspen View Post
If you can find them, and are looking for some original space opera, check out the Lensman series from Doc E.E. Smith. True 40s space opera stuff. Fairly light reading...
Earlier than the 40's - the first one, _Triplanetary_, started serial appearance in Amazing Stories in 1934.

The Lensman books are more or less the canonical example of space opera. The take place against the backdrop of a cosmic struggle between the Arisians and the Eddorians. The Arisians were the first intelligent species to appear in our galaxy, billions of years ago. In origin, they were much like humanity, but have since evolved beyond details like physical bodies or ties to a particular world. The Eddorians are rapacious non-human entities consumed by lust for power. After millenia of warfare on their own world had killed every Eddorian who could be killed, the survivors began searching for a place where they could expand thier dominion, and every Eddorian could gain as much power as it could handle. Their own continuum lacked habital worlds to conquer, so they cast father afield, discovering ours. The Arisians become aware of them, and set in place a millennium long plan to create the force needed to oppose Eddore.

The force is the Galactic Patrol, originally created and manned by humanity, but extended to other species, and led by Lensman. Lensmen get their name from possession of the Lens, created for them by the Arisians. Each lens is unique, created for its wearer, and tied to its wearer's life force. It serves as an identifier that cannot be counterfeited - a lens will kill anyone who attempts to wear it that is not the one it was created for, and if the owner dies, will rapidly sublimate and disappear. The lens is telepathic, and allows lensman to communicate mentally with each other, even across interstellar distances, and to read the minds of other entities. Each Lensman is tested and vetted by the Arisians before being given a lens, and guaranteed to be moral and incorruptible.

The Eddorians set up shop in our continuum, operating through proxies under the name of Boskone, and use dirty politics, drugs, and military force to extend their dominion.

Smith is great at pulling rabbits out of his hat. Every time you think "He can't possibly top this!", rest assured there's a topper up his sleeve, and a topper for the topper behind it.

I don't believe they are legitimately available as ebooks. Small press publisher Mike Walsh, doing business as Olde Earth books, had a lovely trade paperback reissue of the Fantasy Press editions, but these are out of print. It should be possible to find used PB copies.
______
Dennis
Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #55
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Ah, poo. I tried. I knew I had gotten his Princess of Mars book from somewhere.
Er, I'm confused.

"Princess of Mars" is Edgar Rice Burroughs. (HarryT has the complete Mars series on MR as an anthology edition, as well as most of the rest of what Burroughs wrote.)

_Triplanetary_ and the other Lensman books are by E. E. "Doc" Smith.
______
Dennis
Old 01-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #56
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Er, I'm confused.

"Princess of Mars" is Edgar Rice Burroughs. (HarryT has the complete Mars series on MR as an anthology edition, as well as most of the rest of what Burroughs wrote.)

_Triplanetary_ and the other Lensman books are by E. E. "Doc" Smith.
______
Dennis
It is not you who is confused, it is I and my cold medicine.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #57
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
It is not you who is confused, it is I and my cold medicine.
I just (I hope) got over that myself. I was in Boston two weeks ago for a long weekend (Thursday - Monday, returning Tuesday.) I paid a delayed action price for it, with no higher brain function for several days after, and a cold that seemed to kick in once the brain started to work again. (I was helping to run this, and largely wasn't scheduled to sleep...).

I woke up this morning not feeling like I needed to blow my nose or sneeze messily, which was a welcome change from the previous few days.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 01-28-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #58
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I just finished Huff's first Valor book (Valor's Choice). This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Thanks!
Glad you enjoyed it!

If you're not averse to licensed tie-in fiction, Diane Duane's written a very good Star Trek novel with a fairly similar flavour (strong-willed, highly competent, and inventive female commander on semi-diplomatic/military fight-then-team-up mission).

My Enemy, My Ally, is one of the "classic" Trek stories and is an excellent read. You can get it cheap in an omnibus edition with two other books (originally published as three; one got split up into two parts) featuring the same character in Rihannsu: The Bloodwing Voyages. E-book edition's got a couple of typos, but nothing really wrong with it, and is a pretty good deal at the price.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #59
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I generally don't read tie-in fiction but I expect I could make an exception for Diane Duane.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #60
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Normally I don't recommend tie-in fiction, but I've found that Diane Duane is one of the rare writers who can come up with an original and imaginative story that fits into the existing framework without seeming like you're reading an episode re-run script, and actually does something interesting and believable with the setting and characters.

Sadly, even some of my other favourite writers who otherwise do excellent and highly recommended solo work (*cough*Barbara Hambly*cough*) have not managed this trick.

If you've got Kindle for PC/iPhone installed, the 10% sample Amazon supplies of The Bloodwing Voyages takes you about a third of the way into MEMA, by which time the action's been thoroughly and well setup and it'll be pretty easy to decide if the promised payoff is sufficiently compelling, officially licensed fanfic or no.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote