Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #61
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Oh yeah, wanted to add that I appreciate double quotes for dialog. It really throws me off to just have single quotes.

And I have only had grits once in my life. Definitely not standard for Americans in general.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #62
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Thank you Khalleron, I've always wondered. Hominy Grits sounds like a character in a fantasy - not the heroine, the scruffy youngster who turns up and gets the hero out of a sticky situation.

Grace, before I epublished I changed single quotes to double for my American readers (I already use 'ize' instead of upstart 'ise'). It took AGES - I did Find and Replace, but of course it replaced all the apostrophes too, and I had to pick them out one by one. But it was worth it.

I reckon Remix is typo-free (UK spelling). When I'm hawking the paperback round the bookshops, I'll offer the owners a fiver for each typo they find.

Last edited by Lexi Revellian; 08-23-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Lexi Revellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #63
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which cover do you prefer?

I think my original cover may be too fiddly for an ebook - I've made another. What do you think - which would grab your attention? Or should I try again?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #64
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Let me start with this observation: your daughter is very lovely! That aside, I like the first cover. It shows a couple of rocking horses being worked on in the studio and one completed on the bureau. This tells you something about Caz's life and character. She is also gazing off into the distance, suggesting there is something beyond that studio that has captured her interest. I also prefer the title font on the original cover. It has flair. The title font on the new cover seems too stark. And I don't think Caz was wearing a black evening dress when
Spoiler:
she and Ric made a night visit to Phil's country house!

However, I do think the new cover would be better as a thumbnail. It's less busy and the detail and catch-phrase on the original cover would not come out in a thumbnail.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #65
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
!st cover - descriptive of the book.

2nd cover - generic, blah, not appealing at all.

Although simple designs are best for an ebook, the second one lacks anything that tells me what the book is, and doesn't have enough flair to draw me in. It's also too dark - it will look terrible on an e-ink reader.

How about a picture of a vintage rocking horse with a nice, uncluttered background?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #66
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Thanks for your thoughts, Moe and Kate. It is the thumbnail I'm thinking of - plus in that fascinating thread about sales and covers, the simpler image seemed to score, even when in my opinion the more complex one was a better design.

I've just read about one author who went from one sale a month to 75 by changing his cover and blurb - and I'm nearer the one sale than the 75!

(Kate, I think if I did as you suggest they'd think it was a rocking horse book. There's a novel called The Stumpwork Robe, and two out of three of its reviews say the buyer thought it was a needlework manual!)

Last edited by Lexi Revellian; 08-24-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #67
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Could you use a simpler cover for the thumbnail and a more detailed cover in the actual ebook? Or would that confuse people?
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #68
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Could you use a simpler cover for the thumbnail and a more detailed cover in the actual ebook? Or would that confuse people?
I think it has to be the same, as they load the cover for the thumbnail.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #69
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi Revellian View Post
I think my original cover may be too fiddly for an ebook - I've made another. What do you think - which would grab your attention? Or should I try again?

I'd ditch the pictures of people on the front cover (nice sentiment but it always looks cheap). You need more color so that the image will pop when it's seen in amongst others. Ditch the faux handwriting font of the original and dirty up the font a bit (give it some texture). It's a modern tale that fuses mystery with a love story, so you can't approach it strictly from either angle, so go with a modern design, something big and bold and eyecatching - in any case, here's what I'd put out if I was making the cover for this story.

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #70
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Mojoe, that's great and totally different from anything I've come up with. That's maybe what I needed, a kick in another direction. I will see what I can do.

I like your tag line, too.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #71
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Moejoe,

You do nice work!
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #72
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

So what about this one? Mojoe, if you're around, be honest.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #73
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
That one rocks!

And when it comes to covers, you should always listen to Moejoe.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #74
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi Revellian View Post
So what about this one? Mojoe, if you're around, be honest.

Now you're on to something!
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #75
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
... in any case, here's what I'd put out if I was making the cover for this story.
Great job!
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compelling, easy read, feel good, free, page turner