Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Softroot "My Books" and B&N archived books

I just bought my Nook and had a bunch of books that said "Download" show up on my reader and the B&N website. Some I downloaded and deleted. A bunch of them couldn't be downloaded. They were greyed out on the website and when I tried from the Nook I get the message "This item cannot be downloaded". I really don't care, I don't want any of these books. I was in NY at the time I got this message. I am not out of country which probably makes things worse. I can archive these books on B&N's website but there is no option to delete them.

My question relates to softroot and the app "My Books". Under "My Books", "Show All" it still shows all the tags and metadata from these archived books. I cannot find the archives anywhere physically on the nook drive to delete them, or at least to delete the metadata. I don't want any B&N direct books. I will sideload everything through Calibre. I have tried refreshing "My Books" and restarting the Nook. Neither gets rid of these tags. There are a huge number of tags and it makes the "Show All" unusable which is too bad. Does anyone know how to remove these tags from "My Books" (or even better delete the archived metadata about books that were never downloaded?

Thanks...............................Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
that's one of the bugs in the app. I'm working on a bug fix release for "my books", but it's kind of going slow. Might be a month or so before I wrap it up.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Is there anything I can do to wipe this information off my Nook so that you don't pick it up. I have wireless turned off so it won't get updated again from B&N. Having hundreds of meaningless tags show up is making the software (which I am very impressed with) very hard to use. Thanks..................Jackie
Old 07-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

I modified it to remove tags for archived files. This is in the latest version -10.
If you end up with many books that are not needed, move them to a separate folder and create a file named .skip in there. All the files in the folder will be ignored.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
jjansen
J

Thanks Hari, I downloaded and softrooted my Nook with 2.4.1 on Tuesday. That is supposed to have NookLibrary 0.1.0. I don't know how to verify the versions of everything on my Nook. I tried rebooting and refreshing the list under My Libraries (NookDevs) and I still see all the tags that I guess where downloaded a long time ago. There are no actual B&N books on my Nook so no folder that I can .skip. I don't know where this metadata is being stored so that I can remove it from your search list. Any suggestions. I would really like to remove these entries because at the moment I can't use the Show function which I really want/like. Thanks.........Jackie
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
hharan
Connoisseur

if you are not sure, jus install it again from Trook. the new softroot supports upgrades as well. it won't lose any settings & previous scans.

this data is in /data/data/com.nooksdevs.library/databases/mybooks.db
You have to run sqlite3 via adb shell to access it.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
jjansen
J

Hari, I have just spent ages trying to download whatever I need to run the adb shell. I have no clue what I am doing and nothing is working. Is there a relatively simple way that I can wipe out everything, including your mybooks.db, without this adb stuff. I just softrooted a second Nook that I bought and registered it to me and it looks great. I just don't know how to clean up the old entries in mybooks.db easily. By the way, without software like this I would never have purchased the Nook. Everything I read is sideloaded in from my PC. I am very pleased with your software so my apologies if my frustration is coming through.

Any and all help really gratefully accepted...........Jackie
Old 07-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
hharan
Connoisseur

without adb, you have to uninstall the my books app and install again.
You can use the nookMarket app or the nookAppManager app to do the uninstall.
Here are the links:
http://nookappman.googlecode.com/files/NookAppMan.apk
http://nookdevs.googlecode.com/files/nookMarket.apk

Download one of these apk files directly into nook or to your PC and copy it over using usb cable.
You can then install it from the files app. You will have to navigate to the folder where the apk file is and check on it 2 times to launch it.

Use the new app to uninstall my books app. ( long press will uninstall in both).
Old 07-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
jjansen
J

Hari that didn't work. I have uninstalled it twice but the uninstall doesn't appear to remove the .db file that stores the tags and series info. I don't know if it makes a difference, I used Nook AppMan. I did download Market but seemed to have a problem with it.

I have a second Nook in the house that doesn't have this issue. One other way around deleting and recreating your mybooks.db file would be to clone one Nook onto the other. I am not sure that Windows cloning and disk management programs will be able to see the entire drive to do the clone.

I am fairly stuck.........Jackie

Added: I did get Market working but I have the same results. If I do a show on one of the tags that I think came from archived books I get an "item not found" message. I am trying to get B&N to get rid of my archived books altogether but so far they don't answer me email or my phone calls.

Last edited by jjansen; 07-30-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
hharan
Connoisseur

can you try one other thing?
Unregister the nook if it's not already & register to a new account and then select Refresh-BN Books. I think this should clean it up.
Don't know why it's not removing the data.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
jjansen
J

YEAH - that worked! I have registered under a different email address and life is good. Actually I thought that I had made a bad mistake when I registered and then refreshed my books right away because B&N gives you some freebies which of course I didn't want. Anyway I went on B&N's website, deleted the freebies. This time I didn't have a huge number of extra books that wouldn't download, possibly because I am not in the country at the moment - not sure. Anyway, after I deleted them I refreshed from my Nook again and my list is now only my tags and series. Just what I wanted. Thanks for hanging in there and helping me.....Jackie