Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like kids (under 5 years old)?
I love 'em 38 35.85%
They ok 33 31.13%
I love them most when they're sleeping 18 16.98%
They're too noisy, demanding and/or self-centered 36 33.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2009, 04:27 AM   #61
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

and a friend of mine once described me by saying "she hasn't lost her sense of wonder."

That's a wonderful description _ I'd be flattered if someone used that about me (rather than eccentric as one colleague did).

I hate the screaming kids that one sees out of control in any public place - if I can hear them then they must be LOUD.....

Interestingly we never had any problem with ours. At age 3 and 6 we took them to stay in a posh Scottish Hotel whilst we were looking for a house to buy. In the restaurant they were so good we had other diners coming up and praising us and them......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:00 AM   #62
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
... actually, I realize I just don't like rude people.
Who talk loud on the metro, thinking their business is of interest to everyone else, who do not make way, who cut ahead, completely ignoring queues, who don#t wash themselves regularly .... and I realize, that's the reason I don't like most kids in a certain age, since they have not yet learned how to behave in public properly.

Other than that, being a parent makes you resistant to kids' regular crying (the cry for a need rather than the cry for a want and the associated tantrum) and it does not bother you.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #63
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
That's a wonderful description _ I'd be flattered if someone used that about me (rather than eccentric as one colleague did).

I hate the screaming kids that one sees out of control in any public place - if I can hear them then they must be LOUD.....

Interestingly we never had any problem with ours. At age 3 and 6 we took them to stay in a posh Scottish Hotel whilst we were looking for a house to buy. In the restaurant they were so good we had other diners coming up and praising us and them......
This has happened to us several times. I attribute it to being overly organized! I always took books, crayons, paper, stickers, etc. in a small plastic box so the kids had plenty to keep them occupied. It was a little easier when we just had my oldest two because they had each other to play with and have always been the other's best friend. Now with Ryleigh being so much younger, I think she feels a little left out when the 4 of us are all talking about something that doesn't interest her. We've learned to make a concerted effort to include her.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #64
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
When a kid is a screamer it's because the parent is a screamer...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #65
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post

the voice of experience ... :coughs:
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #66
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
While you can't generalize it like that I must say that most of the kids in my circle of friends and acquaintances are direct spin-offs of the person tending to it. Some are quiet, observant and hold back, some are bold, open and direct. Guess which ones are the screamers
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Spare the rod and spoil the child". It was true 3000 years ago. It's true today.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #68
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Spare the rod and spoil the child". It was true 3000 years ago. It's true today.

I wish you'd stick 'imho' in your posts Harry - or even just 'imo' would do.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #69
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I think it depends on the kids and that goes to parenting. When you go to a reataurant you can get a reall good idea of what the parenting is like by the behavior of the child, usually.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #70
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Under 5 years of age? Not so much. I love a little older, when they start exhibiting their own personality. And I really love not having to think about a baby sitter!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #71
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Parenting means children teaching their parents.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #72
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Children learn what they see. If mom and/or dad are loud, obnoxious and rude.... the kids usually follow along in their footsteps.

Taking my nephew to school last year really showed the truth of this.... I walk with a cane most of the time, so on stairs, I'm especially slow. I tend to wait until everyone else is out of the way so I can go down without freaking out because someone is breathing down my neck. I found that the same kids that would near knock me down the stairs had parents that did the same. There is something seriously wrong with an adult that would walk up the stairs until they are almost on top of you coming down....and then suck their teeth because "you're in their" way. Coming down, they'd nearly run right up my back... even tho' I'm pretty hard to miss. Rude is rude, and it tends to be a passed down trait.

I tend to not like people at the best of times... but the rare few seem to be parents of kids I can almost stand to have around as well.
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #73
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I like kids...i just can't afford myself to raise one for now. I want to give the best things to my kid if ever i will have one
Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:00 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

I wish you'd stick 'imho' in your posts Harry - or even just 'imo' would do.
One can reasonably assume, Sparrow, that anything said on these forums is the author's personal viewpoint .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #75
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
WHAT?!? No "chianti and fava beans" choice in the poll?

This isn't the MobileRead I know. What have you done with MobileRead?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote