Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
MMR1316
MMR1316 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Upgrading eReader and need advice please

Hi,
I currently have a Sony PRS-T1, I had upgraded to this from a Kindle a couple of years ago as I found the kindle tedious to use when transferring multiple books from a series via Calibre....grouping them in collections was done manually on the device.
The poor old sony is on it's last legs and so I need to replace it! the Kobo Aura and Glo have caught my eye but I am hoping someone can confirm that they have the same functionality that Sony does in the way it handles collections. I often purchase/download a whole series at a time and then as new books are released add to that series and I love that calibre will automatically put the books together when it transfers them to the device....can anyone tell me if Kobo is the same?
I have searched this topic but couldn't find a definitive answer, apologies if this is obvious or I've missed it somewhere in the forums!
Thanks in advance
Mary-Anne
MMR1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, you can. If you take a look at the screenshot, the device configuration for the Kobo supports making collections based off of specified calibre columns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-device-config-kobo-shelves.png
Views:	204
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	118497  

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-29-2014 at 10:03 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
MMR1316

Thanks! Does that mean I would have to set up a bookshelf on the kobo first for each book series? Sorry I'm so used to the Sony it's a bit confusing!! Currently I add a book to Calibre, select the series in the series column and it automatically numbers it, then I transfer to the eReader it collates them in that series or adds to an already established collection....is that the same process?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, as long as you set the options eschwartz pointed to correctly, that is what happens. See the first post in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184 for details of how to do it.

The only warning is that opening the list of collections on the Kobos is slower than on the Sony. It is fine if you are only keeping a few hundred books on the device, but when you get to thousands and a lot of collections, it slows down.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
MMR1316

Hmmm it looks far more complicated for the kobo considering no set up as such was required for the sony....thinking perhaps I may be better of sticking with the sony?
Unless I'm misunderstanding the instructions keeping mind in the past it's been as easy as add the file to calibre, add a series and transfer it acros for me, I haven't had to change anything for individual books.
Advert
Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR1316 View Post
Hmmm it looks far more complicated for the kobo considering no set up as such was required for the sony....thinking perhaps I may be better of sticking with the sony?
Unless I'm misunderstanding the instructions keeping mind in the past it's been as easy as add the file to calibre, add a series and transfer it acros for me, I haven't had to change anything for individual books.
No, you are just telling calibre which stuff to make a collection for. This allows you greater control, and it seems the Kobo setup just doesn't have this filled in by default. (The Sony did have this set by default for "series,tags".)

Once you set the preferences, collections will be automatically created... just like with the Sony.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 AM   #7
MMR1316

Ahhh excellent, thanks so much for your help! Will give the kobo consideration now, liking the look of it....there are so many to choose from
Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's perhaps worth saying that Kobo seem to have more issues with their firmware than the other mainstream devices. Might be worth asking for views in the Kobo forum before making a final decision.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote