Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 06:12 AM   #1
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Paperback Digital's search engine

Using the Search facility at Paperback Digital:

"kevin anderson" - 0 hits
"kevin j anderson" - 0 hits
"kevin j. anderson" - 2 pages of hits

This seems unduly fussy
It could be a struggle finding stuff (or is it me?).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
DanT
Connoisseur
DanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Using the Search facility at Paperback Digital:

"kevin anderson" - 0 hits
"kevin j anderson" - 0 hits
"kevin j. anderson" - 2 pages of hits

This seems unduly fussy
It could be a struggle finding stuff (or is it me?).
Yes Paperback Digital has a pretty weak/bad/specific search engine. Sometime I just google with

site:paperbackdigital.com kevin anderson

It give better result. Then you can click on any book --then on the author name, on the ebook detailed page, to get all the books by that author.

Last edited by DanT; 11-25-2007 at 11:48 AM.
DanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great tip - thanks!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Just gave it a shot assuming there is some sql database sitting in the background and used the sql wildcard character '%' ... it works.

For instance: 'kevin%anderson' will yield the expected 2 pages of search results.

Btw, being a developer of database driven web applications myself, seeing this work gave me the shivers.

Last edited by ashalan; 11-25-2007 at 02:13 PM.
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard

Thanks, I'd tried * as a wildcard (without success) but not %

If you enter "kev%j", that works too - "j" gets expanded even though there is no "%" after it - is that usual for sql?
Advert
Old 11-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
If you enter "kev%j", that works too - "j" gets expanded even though there is no "%" after it - is that usual for sql?
No, it is not. Yet I have seen a lot of developers having their code always add a % at the end of any text search. Seems like PBD's developers did just that
Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard

Looks like they've stopped the wildcard searches - what worked yesterday isn't working today
But they haven't made any actual improvements to the Search facility to compensate.
Oh well, at least we have the Google method
Old 11-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
ashalan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Looks like they've stopped the wildcard searches - what worked yesterday isn't working today
But they haven't made any actual improvements to the Search facility to compensate.
Oh well, at least we have the Google method
Who knows, maybe they read this very post. What I implied with my statement that things like this 'make me shiver' is that allowing the % wildcard very often is an indicator for code that is not warded against sql injection. I actually sent them a mail indicating as much but haven't gotten an answer yet.