Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #46
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When an author puts their book in the Kindle store only, it says that they want to have their book in the store that has the undisputed largest ebook customer base, and don't want to have to keep track of multiple output vendors like B&N, Smashwords, Sony, Kobo, Overdrive, etc, etc... the path of least resistance. That's all.

I can understand that desire, and wouldn't hold it against an author if they did that... it's their choice. If I decide I don't want the book in that format... that's my choice.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #47
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
When an author puts their book in the Kindle store only, it says that they want to have their book in the store that has the undisputed largest ebook customer base,
Oh, he'll find a way to dispute it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #48
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I dispute it, too. There are quite a few books I want that are available elsewhere, but not on Amazon. And I've yet to see anyone trot out a meaningful "size of catalog" for the Big 4 and do a comparison. Considering that the Amazon store had bloat of the "it's in another thread, but basically there were a lot of duplicate books with different titles" variety, I question that such a comparison could even be feasibly made.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This reminds me of Target. Target does sometimes get an exclusive CD release that has more tracks. But because my CD player will play this exclusive CD, I'm OK with it.

But because Amazon has chosen to stick with Mobipocket (in the guise of AZW), an exclusive eBook is not good. It's either going to be Mobipocket or ePub and that means it's not available for all. But an exclusive CD is available for all. You just have to buy at a different shop. So really, Amazon should go ePub via ADE if nothing else then to help it's customers.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #50
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Can you elaborate on the specific issues with Smashwords and ePubs?

I sell on both Amazon and Smashwords. I don't have an ePub device, but I've checked all of my Smashwords ePubs on Calibre and haven't noticed any issues. My books are just text, no graphics, tables, maps, etc. If I'm reading you correctly there are issues with certain functions on certain devices?
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #51
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
And here I was going to make a Kindle only book
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #52
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So really, Amazon should go ePub via ADE
Wow, you've really got to admire the persistence! What is this, the 999th or 1000th time you've posted the same thing?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #53
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
So really, Amazon should go ePub via ADE if nothing else then to help it's customers.
Amazon's customers are doing fine. You are the person most concerned about Amazon's e-books not being available.

Maybe you should come out of the closet and get a Kindle?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #54
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
Can you elaborate on the specific issues with Smashwords and ePubs?

I sell on both Amazon and Smashwords. I don't have an ePub device, but I've checked all of my Smashwords ePubs on Calibre and haven't noticed any issues. My books are just text, no graphics, tables, maps, etc. If I'm reading you correctly there are issues with certain functions on certain devices?
If you've formatted your books correctly, using the SW style guide, they should be fine.

Some ereaders have trouble with SW ePubs, because even if you follow the guide exactly, the Meatgrinder doesn't make great ePubs; the coding choices are limited and problematic for some ePub-reading software. However, if it follows the guide and doesn't have complex parts, it'll be fine for normal reading. A book carefully designed could be better--SW doesn't support drop caps, for example, nor even simple tables--but that's not going to matter to most readers.

(Hey, you could set up a sig with a link to your books at Amazon & SW.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #55
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Why can't the author make sure his/her eBooks are available in ePub as well? It sends the wrong message to to potential customers. And there are a lot of people out there who do not format convert. It's either available int he format they use or it's not available. This is not just about me. Sure, I can convert. But I don't want to be FORCED to pay amazon for any eBook. If I do, it's going to be because I want to.

This is me. I don't convert. I don't use Calibre. I'd very much like folks to just take the extra time to offer themselves on platforms other than Amazon, because Amazon isn't the only fish in the *censored* pond.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #56
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
There are so many books out that I want to read and will never get around to as is, It's probably a blessing if a few are not available to me...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Amazon's customers are doing fine. You are the person most concerned about Amazon's e-books not being available.

Maybe you should come out of the closet and get a Kindle?
OneandonlyDoc does not convert eBooks and she cannot use exclusive eBooks via Amazon. How is this fair? Would you like it if we had Sony getting lots and lots of exclusive eBooks and you didn't strip DRM/convert? You'd not be able to read any of them.

As for getting a Kindle. I don't like Amazon's obsolete format.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
This is me. I don't convert. I don't use Calibre. I'd very much like folks to just take the extra time to offer themselves on platforms other than Amazon, because Amazon isn't the only fish in the *censored* pond.
When this issue is mentioned, the answer (a lot of the time) is to convert via Calibre. But that's not always an answer. And they just don't care. Because if they cared, they'd be saying, they'd get right on it and create an ePub version.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
If you've formatted your books correctly, using the SW style guide, they should be fine.

Some ereaders have trouble with SW ePubs, because even if you follow the guide exactly, the Meatgrinder doesn't make great ePubs; the coding choices are limited and problematic for some ePub-reading software. However, if it follows the guide and doesn't have complex parts, it'll be fine for normal reading. A book carefully designed could be better--SW doesn't support drop caps, for example, nor even simple tables--but that's not going to matter to most readers.

(Hey, you could set up a sig with a link to your books at Amazon & SW.)
Actually, part of the problem is that in the ePub CSS is redundant code that breaks things. Like font-family for tines new roman or other font families/styles, color codes that prevent changing color, and other things. And to go into the ePub to fix this is not all that easy for a lot of people also, sometimes there isn't a proper ToC for the ePub as the proper ToC is external, not internal.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
There are so many books out that I want to read and will never get around to as is, It's probably a blessing if a few are not available to me...
Actually, that's not good. The more Amazon get exclusive, the more Amazon will try to get even more exclusives.