Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
plaidcat
plaidcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Worth the trouble to restore?

Hey there,

I've had my Kindle 3 for two months, and I currently have the jailbreak, the screensaver hack, and some, er, "questionably sourced" files on it.

Well, of course, the screen malfunctioned. Its all wonky and largely unusable. Amazon kindly sent me a new one, hooray.

My question is; should I take the time to strip my old device (I can hobble through the menu/restart process on it, especially with a new one to remind me of the menu option order) of the warranty-voiding jailbreak before I send it back? I have read anecdotes about folks having no trouble with this, even if the Kindle is locked in an incriminating screensaver image.

Thanks for any advice!
plaidcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
If you can do it - take the 5-10 minutes and try.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
I'm one of those that sent a jailbroken kindle back to amazon with my own screensavers plus Duokan and many 'questionable' files on it...never heard a word about it.
If they are going to refurb it, they'll have to wipe it anyway so...
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
plaidcat
plaidcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
All right, I hobbled through restoring it to factory defaults... all it took was a couple of trials and errors of menu guessing! The hard drive is virgin as new snow. Off to returns it goes.

Thanks
plaidcat is offline   Reply With Quote