Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #46
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Sure you can prop up the ipad. But such a heavy device severely restricts your reading positions. How long can you hold it in one hand? Ever snacked or had a drink while reading? And if you do prop it up, it is very far away from your eyes, which in my case means I have to put on my glasses.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #47
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Certainly the hype has been one reason why it has been so "successfully" launched ... but then few other manufacturers have the same kind of 'clout' as Apple. Once you've mentioned Amazon and Sony, there are few capable of shouting as loudly ... (except perhaps Microsoft - but they don't shout ..... just bellow!)
Again...Apple's brilliant marketing machinery...
The global PC market is way above 200m units globally.
Is 1m units really successful?
Siemens 1 year ago did sell its PC division, 4m units per year didn't suffice their expectations.
iPad certainly isn't a flop, neither is iPhone. But they aren't highrunners either.
Of course, considering iTunes, it's still highly profitable and successful enough.
But far from being benchmark.
But again: Best marketing out there...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #48
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Sure you can prop up the ipad. But such a heavy device severely restricts your reading positions. How long can you hold it in one hand? Ever snacked or had a drink while reading? And if you do prop it up, it is very far away from your eyes, which in my case means I have to put on my glasses.
Can speak only for myself, but distance stays constant for me whether I prop an iPad, Kindle or print book. I prop everything I read, except print newspapers, which I generally avoid.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #49
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Just one of those to each their own things.

All my reading is done in bed, on the couch or on my desk or Ikea chair in my office, so weight's never much of an issue.

Again, it's all pretty moot for me since I don't read for long stretches anyway so I don't have to deal with all the worries of you avid readers that are reading in all kinds of different situations.

But that's just me. I'm a fish out of water here being a movie/sports/tv/video game guy on an e-reader site!
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #50
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Is 1m units really successful?
Siemens 1 year ago did sell its PC division, 4m units per year didn't suffice their expectations.
1 million units in a month? In one country? I'm curious as to what you consider "really successful".

Maybe, like you, Siemens has different expectations
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #51
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I saw the ipad last weekend. I was stroking it as waves of insidious emanations passed thru my mind.

"Yes, my pretty...." the cable suddenly pulled it free of my grasp as I walked away from the table.

Yes, I liked it. The weight would not have been a problem. I almost NEVER read in direct sunlight so no problem.

I would like to win it, yes. But buy it, no. To me the major problem is that it is tied to only one company. If I want aps I want them without restrictions, from ANYONE.

I don't think that a significant number of ipad owners will be buying ebooks. But I do think that it will spread the idea of reading further into the consciousness of the general public.

As more people are seen reading in public, on any device, that is good.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #52
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Just one of those to each their own things.

All my reading is done in bed, on the couch or on my desk or Ikea chair in my office, so weight's never much of an issue.

Again, it's all pretty moot for me since I don't read for long stretches anyway so I don't have to deal with all the worries of you avid readers that are reading in all kinds of different situations.

But that's just me. I'm a fish out of water here being a movie/sports/tv/video game guy on an e-reader site!
I read mine (or watch TV shows) while standing on the train..but its only a 40 minute ride .

The weight actually surprised me in the store when I tried it first-it seemed both smaller and heavier than I imagined. I've gotten used to the weight and balance though-I don't prop it up, just hold it to read or watch. I'm sure everyone has their own preferences for how they use it...or not.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #53
dream88
Banned
dream88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Some people like the device contains all the functions they need,like ipod,make phone calls,messages,games,music and E-reader,but others just like the only function of a device,like a E-book.
dream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #54
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream88 View Post
Some people like the device contains all the functions they need,like ipod,make phone calls,messages,games,music and E-reader,but others just like the only function of a device,like a E-book.
Please use spaces between your words.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #55
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think the answer to this question will be very clear this holiday season
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #56
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I think the answer to this question will be very clear this holiday season
I've given Kindles as gifts, and probably will continue to. I'm much less likely to give iPads, given the prices.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #57
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I've given Kindles as gifts, and probably will continue to. I'm much less likely to give iPads, given the prices.
Will you put me on your Christmas list?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:11 AM   #58
Arts
Arts began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Wow.... so now back to the topic.

I agree with a post back in Page 2, it's hard to say what's best, the best reader is the one that fits YOUR needs.

I don't have an iPad, but I guess that if I had to read for more then 1 hour (which I normally do), I'll choose a smaller device than the iPad and bigger than the iPhone, independently if it's e-ink or lcd. Again, that's my preferece...
Arts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 AM   #59
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I sold my e-ink readers because they caused me horrible eye strain due to the contrast being so poor.

Some user, like you, might claim, they can read in a dimly lit room with e-ink without any problems at all, but you are a lucky minority.

If so many people struggle with backlit screens outside, why do I see so many people using iPhones/Androids/Touches outside in places like Starbucks/Panera?
Which is why an ereader with the PixelQi screen would be awesome. Or even a 5 or 6" reader with an old-fashioned transflective screen (which is the basis for the PixelQi screens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Do all of them read books? Let's say for 1 hour at least?
I suspect that most them use mentioned above gadgets for different purposes.
I did read a lot outside on my Loox. But that has a transflective screen. So, with the backlight turned off, I had the whole afternoon available to read. (in the mornings, it's generally a bit too cold to lay comfortably in the hammock...) I bought my Mini specifically for that purpose. Not because it has a better screen to read upon, but because it has a larger screen. If there had been a 5" transflective screened device available, I probably would have considered twice before buying an e-ink screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
1 million units in a month? In one country? I'm curious as to what you consider "really successful".
You cannot say if a device is successful after one or two months. Wait till the device is on the market for a year. Then let's see how many have been sold. I think a lot of those 1M are from people who would have bought it anyway, no matter how good or bad it is.

(oh, and a lot of foreigners bought that thing as well, as soon as it came out...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #60
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post

Maybe, like you, Siemens has different expectations
First of all, personally I think Siemens made a huge mistake.
Surely, margins have been slim. And their goal, being either top 3 or dropping the business, probably didn't leave any other choice.
But still, in my opinion they shouldn't exclusively focus on high profit business in the sectors "Energy" and "Healthcare", but on end customer business with significant marketing effect as well.

I don't say, 1m is a bad result. But in context, this means about 2% of global spent for PCs. I'd gladly take those 2% and certainly Steve Jobs will have fun as well.
But Apple enthusiasts should check their figures before flaming enthusiast statements about Apple being a revolution in the phone or netbook/Slate business. They have a successful niche, but it's still a niche - as comfy as it may be...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad