Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
DrewBoyd
DrewBoyd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Question Transparency

Well, I'm back.

I have wanted for two years to make the little images that I use for scene break glyphs transparent -- pretty much since I realized that in sepia mode they had hideous white squares around them.

So thanks to you all sorting out my recent wildcard fiasco, I was feeling all cocky and decided to try to tackle it again. So I got Aaron Shepard's book "Pictures on Kindle" and thought I followed the GIF steps exactly...

Dismal failure. Ugly white squares mocking me. Ugh.

I tried searching here, but didn't find anything that addressed transparency. Could someone please point me to the correct forum to search in order to continue my quest?

Thanks so much! Hope you all are doing well!
DrewBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBoyd View Post
Well, I'm back.

I have wanted for two years to make the little images that I use for scene break glyphs transparent -- pretty much since I realized that in sepia mode they had hideous white squares around them.

So thanks to you all sorting out my recent wildcard fiasco, I was feeling all cocky and decided to try to tackle it again. So I got Aaron Shepard's book "Pictures on Kindle" and thought I followed the GIF steps exactly...

Dismal failure. Ugly white squares mocking me. Ugh.

I tried searching here, but didn't find anything that addressed transparency. Could someone please point me to the correct forum to search in order to continue my quest?

Thanks so much! Hope you all are doing well!
You talk about little images; can you post any of them here?
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #3
DrewBoyd

Glyph samples

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. These examples are actually larger than they are in the books. They are just small little pics to indicate a scene change or POV change.

I took the JPEGs into PaintShop, moved them from the background to Layer 1, deleted the background, deleted the white around them, and saved them as GIFs. The files do have transparency around them. Until they get into the Fire -- then they go back to ugly white boxes.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems that your images doesn't have a transparent background. I have reprocessed them and now it seem to work. I attach an epub so you can see the source code and the new images. In the second case, I followed another aproximation: instead of a transparent .gif, I used a .svg image. For that kind of images (linearts) is better to use .svg.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	463
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	147276  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Transparent Images.epub (29.0 KB, 408 views)
Old 04-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
DrewBoyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
It seems that your images doesn't have a transparent background. I have reprocessed them and now it seem to work. I attach an epub so you can see the source code and the new images. In the second case, I followed another aproximation: instead of a transparent .gif, I used a .svg image. For that kind of images (linearts) is better to use .svg.

Regards
Thank you so much! I had no idea I wasn't saving the images properly. I was able to take your file and figure out what I had been doing wrong. I really appreciate it -- I have been trying to solve this puzzle for over a year. Couldn't be happier to finally be transparent!

Now I'm off to learn all about SVG files...
Old 04-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBoyd View Post
Thank you so much! I had no idea I wasn't saving the images properly. I was able to take your file and figure out what I had been doing wrong. I really appreciate it -- I have been trying to solve this puzzle for over a year. Couldn't be happier to finally be transparent!
You are welcome
Old 05-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Is there a way to make such images visible when the user chooses a white-on-black display theme? (Perhaps not with PNG transparency, but maybe with SVG images?)
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
Is there a way to make such images visible when the user chooses a white-on-black display theme? (Perhaps not with PNG transparency, but maybe with SVG images?)
I don't know the answer to this but if it was me I'd try a "cheat's way" with the SVG image.

Just open it in a text editor. Almost the last line says:
Code:
style="fill:#000000"
i.e. black (#000000)

I'd just make it a colour which would be visible on both a black and a white background, namely a shade of grey (e.g. #aaaaaa) for eink, or maybe something a bit more colourful if I always read on a colour tablet/phone.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #9
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
If your images are truly tiny, you can create them as a glyph in a font. I do this frequently for fleurons and dividers, and then use a font size of 3em up to 8em to make them display large enough for the purpose.

I use Inkscape to do a bitmap tracing of the image, and then import that resulting svg into my font editor and create a custom font. (Type3 from CR8 software --- free demo is pretty much feature-unlimited, time-unlimited, but will only save a max of 50 characters) If you find this interesting, maybe I could put up a small tutorial.

EDIT TO ADD: I have successfully used images up to 600x600 px to do this, the font editor lets you scale the svg to a usable size. You could probably go even larger, but I have never tried.

The great thing about using this method, is that the decorations are part of the font, and will change color along with other text if the user chooses to use night mode, sepia, etc.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 05-24-2016 at 07:41 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote