Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
cacophonix
cacophonix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Question How to tweak azw3 files to trigger the enhanced typesetting feature?

Hello,

First of all, please excuse my weak English.

I am a big fan of the "enhanced typesetting" feature on Kindle.

Since this feature seems automatically enabled for KFX files, I follow with great interest the progress on KFX file generation with the Calibre plugin discussed in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272407.
Sadly, at this time, the generated files do not show book cover on the Kindle device.

On the other hand, when manually downloading books having enhanced typesetting enabled from my Amazon account, I get an azw3 file (KF8 format if I have correctly understood) which can be imported in Calibre (with DRM removal plugin) and then transferred on my Kindle device. These files have the same typography features as the KFX I get by downloading directly the book on my Kindle via WiFi.

I came to the conclusion that enhanced typesetting can be enabled in AZW3 files. Am I wrong?

So my question is basically: do someone know how to enable this settings in a AZW3 file? I could not find such information on the forum...
Perhaps things are much more complex... Please enlight me!
Thanks in advance!
cacophonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You might have better luck in the Kindle Formats forum?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #3
cacophonix

Sorry! You're right! Should I ask a moderator to move this thread to the appropriate forum or delete it?
Old 04-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a plugin for Calibre that will convert to KFX so you can get enhanced typesetting on your Kindle. The problem is that it's hit or miss because it uses a beta of Kindle Previewer to do some of the heavy lifting and that don't work for this all that reliably. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272407

If you really want enhanced typesetting all the time, you'll want a Reader that uses RMDSK (ADE) because that doesn't need any specialized format to do the typesetting.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-30-2016 at 07:00 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonix View Post
I came to the conclusion that enhanced typesetting can be enabled in AZW3 files. Am I wrong?
To answer your actual question? You are wrong. kf8's do not support enhanced typesetting. Amazon chose the approach of implementing it in a new format, kfx. So if you want enhanced typesetting you need the kfx, which you can of course have Amazon deliver to your supported device. Your options from a kf8 file? Try to convert to kfx as discussed above. Or try a calibre plugin to hyphenate. There is at least one, Hyphenate This. I haven't tried it personally so can't advise how well it works or how the final result compares.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonix View Post
Sorry! You're right! Should I ask a moderator to move this thread to the appropriate forum or delete it?
Done, moved.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
cacophonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a plugin for Calibre that will convert to KFX so you can get enhanced typesetting on your Kindle. The problem is that it's hit or miss because it uses a beta of Kindle Previewer to do some of the heavy lifting and that don't work for this all that reliably. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272407
Thanks JSWolf, as was aware of this plugin and linked the same post in my original message.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you don't mind not having kerning and/or ligatures, you can use the Hyphenate This! plugin and add in hyphens. It does work very well with KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
cacophonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
To answer your actual question? You are wrong. kf8's do not support enhanced typesetting. Amazon chose the approach of implementing it in a new format, kfx. So if you want enhanced typesetting you need the kfx, which you can of course have Amazon deliver to your supported device. Your options from a kf8 file? Try to convert to kfx as discussed above. Or try a calibre plugin to hyphenate. There is at least one, Hyphenate This. I haven't tried it personally so can't advise how well it works or how the final result compares.
Thanks for your answer darryl! The KFX plugin proved to be useful. I didn't try the Hyphenate, but will certainly do and report here.

Tags
azw3, enhanced typesetting