Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
EricG
Enthusiast
EricG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
LWG: The Arc is an MTP (not MSC) device. That requires Media Player 11 on XP for MTP drivers.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
LWG
LWG began at the beginning.

Thanks all for replies and suggestions. Turns out it was my USB cable (duh when in doubt I must remember to KISS), tested the arc on a friend's computer with their kobo glo USB and it was fine. Picked up a new USB cable and no issues now. And yes it connects MTP immediately. Again thank you!!
LWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
Jackie S
Jackie S began at the beginning.

I purchased a kobo arc and tried to copy my books from my PC to the Arc via a USB cable. My books are stored in a program called calibre on my PC. Calibre is not recognising my Arc. I then tried to email myself a book and my Arc would not save it.
I tried downloading an app to recognise the epub file but had no luck. I tried contacting Kobo helpline but because it was not a book bought through kobo. In fact they told me there was no way to add books except ones bought through the kobo stor.
I have two other Kobo's and have always done this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jackie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie S View Post
I purchased a kobo arc and tried to copy my books from my PC to the Arc via a USB cable. My books are stored in a program called calibre on my PC. Calibre is not recognising my Arc. I then tried to email myself a book and my Arc would not save it.
I tried downloading an app to recognise the epub file but had no luck. I tried contacting Kobo helpline but because it was not a book bought through kobo. In fact they told me there was no way to add books except ones bought through the kobo stor.
I know to read epubs from my local library I need to use the overdrive app and I believe people have used the aldiko app for reading epubs they've sideloaded. I only read epubs on my reader and use the Arc for my graphic novel/comic reading. Sorry i couldn't be more help but the take home message is that it is possible to read epubs on it that aren't from Kobo.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
badass1
badass1 began at the beginning.

Try this...

First post so please bear with me....

The only email way that I have found is by using Hotmail.

Just attach the epub file unzipped, email it to yourself and then just click on the file and it will download. Then go to your KOBO library and let it search for epub files in your Kobo, it should detect it.

Did you try installing Media Player as previous posted? I have XP and this was the only way that my computer would recognize my Kobo as an external drive, after that I was able to install my backup movies.

There is also another way by using Hotmail SKydrive: (might work with other cloud programs)

Uploaded my books to skydrive, installed Astro file and let it sync with Skydrive. Once there you should be able to just click and download it to your Kobo.

These methods have worked for me, it is not like other Kobo's, I think they have tried to make the Arc a computerless connection.

Cheers and good luck!!

Quote:

Last edited by badass1; 04-16-2013 at 11:35 AM.
badass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #21
LWG
LWG began at the beginning.

Quote:
If you're having a problem with Calibre specifically, I would check if you can see your Arc connected in My Computer? If so then you should be able to find your books through a folder and just drag them to your Arc's ebook folder. On my computer,Calibre stores the books in My Documents\Calibre Library so I could just drag the epub books. I tend to only use Calibry myself to convert books to epub format so am not familiar enough with it otherwise.

When I had my first problem connecting my Arc (which was solved with a new USB cable), I setup the Dropbox app on both my computer and arc for wireless exchanging of files. Since I've found the Google shared drive is my easiest method for a wireless transfer.
LWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #22
Anniegirl
Anniegirl began at the beginning.

Another option

I had the same issue with my new Kobo Arc. Eventually Kobo Help was able to suggest a solution. I downloaded the Overdrive media app and then had no problems downloading books from other sites or from the public library. It took a number of calls to the Help desk and numerous emails before they were able to provide this solution. Hope this helps.
Anniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniegirl View Post
I had the same issue with my new Kobo Arc. Eventually Kobo Help was able to suggest a solution. I downloaded the Overdrive media app and then had no problems downloading books from other sites or from the public library. It took a number of calls to the Help desk and numerous emails before they were able to provide this solution. Hope this helps.
I suggest you download another reader such as Aldiko or Mantano where you can read both sideloaded and library books in epub format. They both allow you to enter your ADE (adobe Digital edition) username and password in the settings menu and also allow you to download to the device wirelessly from the library or calibre... As long as you use the correct URL.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
Roger Coulombe
Roger Coulombe began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I have had no problem connecting, The only problem I have is in not recognizing or seeing book files on my kobo glo. What do the book files look like and where are they.
Roger Coulombe is offline   Reply With Quote