Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #46
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Anyone know if there's a reason this would not work in Europe?
I'm considering buying one, but there's not much time left to do so if I want to take advantage of the discount.
It will work in Europe - mostly.

You won't have a European topographic map. I don't know about the EU law and the walkie-talkie frequencies. I don't know if the radio handles EU digital signals.

The rest should work.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #47
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
If you back the project now, you can switch your region before shipping to suit need for an EU specific unit.

(From questions page)

meetearl6 days old
"Backers can preorder during this campaign and opt to have their order switched to the their regional edition. The EU edition will be released after EC certification."

meetearl12 days old
"Users who wish to back Earl during our campaign can place a preorder through our site. At the end of our campaign we will be emailing backers to confirm which edition/color they would like to receive."

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 06-05-2013 at 12:02 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #48
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Thanks for the answer, here's another question or three:

*) connectors - USB - the website isn't clear on this, but I may have found an answer in the questions section, but perhaps someone here (I'm look at you AlbertaCowboy :-) knows more:
Does Earl have an actual USB port, or, as it seems to be, merely a 3.5 TRS connector which doubles as USB port, requiring a propietary adapter?

*) Actual screen size - the dimensions of the device seem to be similar to the Kobo Wifi - but what about screen size?
I'm thinking of replacing my Kobo with Earl, but if the screen is smaller, it'd be a downgrade...
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #49
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just went fishing through the Q&A, as I hadn't wondered about the USB connection until you brought it up. This was the first official response from meetearl that I found:

(meetearl7 days old

Our 3.5mm jack doubles as our USB charging and data connection. We will offer adapters for users to connect with Earl over USB otg.)

As far as screen size, it shows up in the specs as 6" e-Ink screen. (See attached screenshot)

By the way, I'm not officially endorsing Earl by any stretch of the means. I just really liked the concept, and have been following the development closely. If I can answer any questions here with info that I've gleaned from the development Q&A, I'm happy to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Earl Specs.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	106695  

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 06-06-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #50
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Well, I've backed. I've felt the urge to get survivalist gear lately, and I've really wanted a high res eInk reader so this fulfills both wishes at once.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #51
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
This was the first official response from meetearl that I found:

(meetearl7 days old

Our 3.5mm jack doubles as our USB charging and data connection. We will offer adapters for users to connect with Earl over USB otg.)
Yes, that's what I found too.
This is a serious issue for me - I have an intense dislike of nonstandard plugs (mainly because I rarely accept that they're necessary at all, but also because it means you always have to carry them around).

Quote:
As far as screen size, it shows up in the specs as 6" e-Ink screen. (See attached screenshot)
Hm. Still, I wonder - the borders look broader than with the kobo, and the outer dimensions are close.

Quote:
By the way, I'm not officially endorsing Earl by any stretch of the means. I just really liked the concept, and have been following the development closely.
Endorsed or not, you're a useful resource to ask :-) So thanks for that.

--

I'm still debating with myself if I want to buy one. My main problem is, I don't need half the stuff it offers - all I'd want is an eInk Android tablet.
(I really like the IP67 and solar panel, though.)

Perhaps I'll wait till production, and pay more but have more information.
As much as I like the idea of it, I dislike their website.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #52
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If I had spare cash, I'd get in on this just because it's cool.

It occurs to me that with the current popular wave of survival and apocalypse (zombie and otherwise) fiction, they could not be launching this at a better time.

Brilliant.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #53
AlbertaCowboy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post

I'm still debating with myself if I want to buy one. My main problem is, I don't need half the stuff it offers - all I'd want is an eInk Android tablet.
(I really like the IP67 and solar panel, though.)

Perhaps I'll wait till production, and pay more but have more information.
As much as I like the idea of it, I dislike their website.
Normally, I have an intense aversion to being an "early adopter" on new tech, but I just couldn't help myself on this one. All of the features it offers are actually fairly useful to me. Plus I constantly fail my saving throws against "new & shiny".

Like I said in an earlier post, I'll do a fairly comprehensive review once I've got it in my hands. Might make it a little easier for those sittin' on the fence if they see an actual honest appraisal. Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of the site myself.

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 06-06-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #54
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm still toying with getting in on the pre-order, but I have my doubts about whether these guys can deliver. Their credentials, to the extent they're available, seem heavier on enthusiasm than experience, and even established companies experience production delays and post-release bugs.

Also, what I would actually use it for is an ereader. I like the idea of having the weather and position sensors and all those radios, not to mention Android apps and all in a rugged package, but my actual daily use for an e-Ink device is reading EPUBs. And obviously, there are cheaper, lighter-weight readers out there.

Still, it's tempting. I'm not averse to spending a little more to future-proof an investment, whether against changing technology or my own changing habits.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #55
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
I took the plunge because this one device will replace at least three devices that I carry when my son and I go fishing!
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #56
AlbertaCowboy
Guru

They've added an update.
Look at the refresh rate of the e-Ink screen!
That's impressive.

http://www.meetearl.com/updates/

There's going to be a community forum they're developing for Earl, and I have put the bug in their own ear about the folks here at mobileread. Hopefully they will initiate a presence here.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #57
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Dedicated radio antenna hook-up and Personal Locator Beacon added--pretty cool.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #58
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I went the whole hog.... I have 3 on order...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #59
AlbertaCowboy
Guru

Just an update for those interested, EARL's new forum has gone live.
I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the layout, although that might just be my own preference for the format used here at MobilRead.

http://forum.meetearl.com/
Old 07-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #60
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i am more interested in the fact that since it's both e-ink and full android 4.1, that it is the only reader that will natively handle all documents/ebook formats available to all android devices. as an e-ink ereader, it's the only one that can natively handle amazon's proprietary azw format AND the standard ePub, PDF, etc. all ios/android tablets can do this so i would not expect any less. being that it's e-ink puts it over the top as a reader for me. everything else (gps, maps, etc.) is just gravy.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earl, gps