Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #181
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Vydorscope, to be perfectly honest, I never read the rules.

But you aroused my curiosity and so I did just now. I don't think I'm in violation because my posts are just my content. They seek to entertain or inform. They are not solicitations to buy anything. I think in social media, being too much about yourself is just frowned upon, not verboten. Anyways, I'll post the link to the rules here for everyone to read and interpret.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/community-rules/
davidwfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #182
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
All writing is subjective. But what does the word "subjective" mean? To me it means that the interpretation of the message is dependent on the context. Or, for all you NLP nerds, the reference frame.

Social proof from social media in the form of 'tweet, facebook, follower, like' counters form a positive reference frame in an over-saturated fiction market.

This is partly why I said earlier in this forum that I think indie publishing should be done in "layers". You publish your stuff for a while, then you try to drum up some "social proof". Then you write some more. Then you try to develop some more "social proof".

And, the cool thing about layers is that as you move up through those layers, the nature of the game being played changes. i.e. a Twitter user with 40 followers doesn't have the same experience as one with 4000. Life isn't fair. But once this fact is accepted, it can be used advantageously.
davidwfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #183
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Who do I have to f@&# to get 40 followers on Twitter? Just askin'. Actually, I'd probably be a lot happier doing that than writing and using Twitter to sell the books...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #184
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I was hoping getting one of my books banned by Barnes & Noble would sell a few extra copies, but it sort of got lost in all the fuss over the zombie publisher guy.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #185
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I was hoping getting one of my books banned by Barnes & Noble would sell a few extra copies, but it sort of got lost in all the fuss over the zombie publisher guy.
Care to explain why you got banned?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #186
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Care to explain why you got banned?
They said inappropriate content.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #187
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Who do I have to f@&# to get 40 followers on Twitter? Just askin'. Actually, I'd probably be a lot happier doing that than writing and using Twitter to sell the books...
Thought about getting some QR code business cards made? The name of the book and QR code on the front, short blurb on the back?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #188
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
They said inappropriate content.
Think I'll have to try some of your stuff . Was it just the one story, or everything?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #189
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Think I'll have to try some of your stuff . Was it just the one story, or everything?
Just the one story (ACAB) and the short story collection it was in. But those were my gateway drugs for everything else.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #190
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Thought about getting some QR code business cards made? The name of the book and QR code on the front, short blurb on the back?
Yes (though I might have a time picking which books to put on the card), but I'm not doing that unless I know of a place where I can drop them off AND be assured that the crowd is truly interested. Otherwise, I've just committed second-hand littering, like the promo cards I see on the sidewalks all over town (I don't know about you, but I HATE when people indiscriminately stick cards and menus on my car when it's parked in a lot... they get left behind). Maybe the next SF convention.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #191
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Yes (though I might have a time picking which books to put on the card), but I'm not doing that unless I know of a place where I can drop them off AND be assured that the crowd is truly interested. Otherwise, I've just committed second-hand littering, like the promo cards I see on the sidewalks all over town (I don't know about you, but I HATE when people indiscriminately stick cards and menus on my car when it's parked in a lot... they get left behind). Maybe the next SF convention.
Yes, that makes me crazy when they litter the parking lots like that!

I think the convention promotion thing is a great idea Steve.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #192
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes, that makes me crazy when they litter the parking lots like that!

I think the convention promotion thing is a great idea Steve.
Well, it's about the only thing I've got left. But so much depends on creating a card people will pull out of their goodie bags (or off the promo tables), stop and read, and click through. That can be tough, people are so hardened against advertising of any kind.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #193
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The additional thing would be to get on panels at the convention .. try to arrange a signing if that's a possibility... etc. any way to get the word out.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #194
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The additional thing would be to get on panels at the convention .. try to arrange a signing if that's a possibility... etc. any way to get the word out.
That's the thing: I rarely have the opportunity to go to conventions (drat those day jobs!), so I can only arrange to have something added to people's goodie bags or freebie tables. Besides, I've already glommed onto the fact that no one wants to hear me talk!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #195
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I'm curious; Have any of you seen an increase in sales of your stand alone ebooks, after you've published a series?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epublishing tactics, indie publishing, tips and tricks