Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
sirhunter2010
sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Exclamation PRS-700 Discontinued

According to Wikipedia, the Sony PRS-700 has been discontinued while the PRS-505 still lives. Interesting.
sirhunter2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhunter2010 View Post
According to Wikipedia, the Sony PRS-700 has been discontinued while the PRS-505 still lives. Interesting.
And everything stated on Wikipedia is of course true...
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Cool

I was on the SonyStyle website yesterday looking at the price of therir AC power thingy ($30 - I think) & they show the 700 as discontinued, as does B & H Photo-Video.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
both are on their last stocks and have stopped manufacturing as far as I know.

the 300 and the 600 are the only models that sony is producing (and the supposed 900, which will be the large screen)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
erictai
erictai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, EZ Reader, PRS-600, SmartQ 7
A PRS-700 owner here, can't take the glare thing anyway, after comparing it with other readers, I ordered the 600.
Sometimes I wonder if I could remove the top glass of the 700 then would it solve the foggy, unclear, unsharp problem?
I have a collection of thousands ebooks for my 3 lifetimes, I need the best reader that I can get.
erictai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I like my 700, glare not a problem. I use the light and glare goes away.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Isn't the 600 just like the 700 but better?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Isn't the 600 just like the 700 but better?
Yes, but it seems like there is still glare and clarity issues compared with the 505. Reviews have been coming in slowly from first owners..
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I have the PRS-700 and was fully aware of the quality of the screen compared to the PRS-505 when I purchased it. I really wanted the faster processor, ease of use of the touch screen and the built-in lights so I accepted the degradation in screen contrast and the glare as a trade-off and am happy with my decision. I have to get my PRS-700 at that *perfect angle*, but otherwise have no problems with the quality of the page or the glare, but can see how others used to the PRS-505 would.

IMHO, *if* the screen clarity on the PRS-600 is somewhere between that of the PRS-505 and the PRS-700 and the glare is improved at all, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the new PRS-600, sight unseen. But please, if you can, go to a retail outlet and compare all 3 models, while you still can, before your purchase and make a decision on what is best for your reading needs.

Here's hoping that the PRS-700 gets a firmware upgrade to include a dictionary lookup and with an outside chance of being able to use the stylus freehand for notes/annotations.

Wetdogeared (WDE)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post

IMHO, *if* the screen clarity on the PRS-600 is somewhere between that of the PRS-505 and the PRS-700 and the glare is improved at all, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the new PRS-600, sight unseen.

Wetdogeared (WDE)
Thats my hope as well. I've been going over the videos that have been posted so far, but its still difficult to tell. next to the 505 the screen is never going to be as good ( rightly so with one only glass vs clear plastic sheet. ). I hope someone can include a video comparison with the 600 vs 700. from a few pics, the 600 seems to have a slightly better screen contrast.

If I had the chance to see them at a store it would have been great..
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
erictai
erictai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, EZ Reader, PRS-600, SmartQ 7
I was in Vegas Sonystyle store (in Ceasar Palace) just few days ago, even they don't have the PRS-600 showing, but by talking to the sales person there convinced me to order it, Sony realized the glass to accomodate the light caused the contrast/glare problem, he suggested the new Reader Cover with Light to go along with the PRS-600, but currently sold-out.
erictai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
addadutta
addadutta began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
After going through the posts in thsi forum onreview of prs-600, I have booked prs-700 at $350 in US. I donot care about epub, ther are enough books available in PDF and word format all ovr internet, I am not planning to buy any book.
If the glare is the same issue for 2 models, then I better go for prs-700 which has backlight. But can anybody tell me whether the glare is there when the backlight is switched off, I am not sure and not able to check.
Anyway, when I get the prs-700 ( it will take about 4 days), I will wait for the review of prs-600 ( by that time, it will be launched fully in Canada). If the readers review is substatially better, I will return prs-700 and go for prs-600.
addadutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hello addadutta, I own a prs-700 and the screen definitely has a glare. Some people utilize the light to counter the glare and I just adjust the screen. In dim lighting however, I use the lighting to compensate for lack of clarity. For these reasons, I really have prefered using my 505, but I dropped it in water, and, of course, it has expired (moment of silence please). It is sitting in a bag of rice right now as per the instruction of helpful fellow MR member suggestions. In the mean time, I am expectantly awaiting the arrival of a 600 as I ordered it at Borders today. I feel compelled to get it as I have myself been complaining about the lack of dictionary support on the 700 and how that would make it perfect. Now I have it and handwriting recognition! It will be here on the 30th.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
addadutta
addadutta began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
Hello addadutta, I own a prs-700 and the screen definitely has a glare. Some people utilize the light to counter the glare and I just adjust the screen. In dim lighting however, I use the lighting to compensate for lack of clarity. For these reasons, I really have prefered using my 505, but I dropped it in water, and, of course, it has expired (moment of silence please). It is sitting in a bag of rice right now as per the instruction of helpful fellow MR member suggestions. In the mean time, I am expectantly awaiting the arrival of a 600 as I ordered it at Borders today. I feel compelled to get it as I have myself been complaining about the lack of dictionary support on the 700 and how that would make it perfect. Now I have it and handwriting recognition! It will be here on the 30th.
When you get the prs-600, please inform whether the glare is much less compared to 700 or not. That is the key point for me. I am not bothered about dictonary or handwriting recognition. I just want to read PDF books in this at low light scenario. I donot want to spend another $70 + tax for buying a cover with lamp from Sony.
Also what is the battery life with light on?
addadutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #15
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
300, 505, & 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
Thats my hope as well. I've been going over the videos that have been posted so far, but its still difficult to tell. next to the 505 the screen is never going to be as good ( rightly so with one only glass vs clear plastic sheet. ). I hope someone can include a video comparison with the 600 vs 700. from a few pics, the 600 seems to have a slightly better screen contrast.

If I had the chance to see them at a store it would have been great..
I just saw a comparison of the PRS 300, 505, and 600 at You Tube. Unfortunately the glare is so bad that they all look about the same, so I really think we need additional videos. But, anyway that's what they got now.
That's all I got to say about that.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote