Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 04-12-2024, 04:03 PM   #1
KissMeKiwi
KissMeKiwi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Calibre Access in Python Script

Hi,

I am trying to create a request bot in Discord. I successfully created it with movies and tv shows, and am working on getting books working now.

I am confident I can get the book requests, but I also want an option for users to get a book sent to their email (mainly for Amazon's send to kindle).

My goal is:
  1. User performs a search for a book (or even an author)
  2. A list of books/authors is returned to the user
  3. User selects a book or author (if author, it then displays a list of books by the author)
  4. User selects a book
  5. Book is sent to their kindle email

What I am curious, is there an API or module to interact with calibre through python? Really I would need to look for a book, grab an epub (convert if it doesn't exist), and send it via an email. I saw some other links but it seemed like that was creating an entire environments for it and it got me confused.
KissMeKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre has a powerful set of commandline tools.
Visit the online help: commandline tools for the gory details (no Pythons were harmed )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2024, 07:17 PM   #3
KissMeKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre has a powerful set of commandline tools.
Visit the online help: commandline tools for the gory details (no Pythons were harmed )
Okay so in theory, I can just run shell commands on the same machine which really should be doable in python.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:02 PM   #4
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeKiwi View Post
What I am curious, is there an API or module to interact with calibre through python? Really I would need to look for a book, grab an epub (convert if it doesn't exist), and send it via an email. I saw some other links but it seemed like that was creating an entire environments for it and it got me confused.
API documentation for the database interface: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/en/db_api.html

API documentation for the e-book editing tools: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/en/polish.html

You can use the API in your python scripts. To execute the script, you use this command:
calibre-debug /path/to/your/python/script.py

Quote:
Okay so in theory, I can just run shell commands on the same machine which really should be doable in python.
Command Line Interface: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/en/...cli-index.html
Yes, using the Command Line Interface.

Last edited by thiago.eec; 04-13-2024 at 08:07 PM.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:16 PM   #5
KissMeKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
API documentation for the database interface: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/en/db_api.html

API documentation for the e-book editing tools: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/en/polish.html

You can use the API in your python scripts. To execute the script, you use this command:
calibre-debug /path/to/your/python/script.py

Command Line Interface: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/en/...cli-index.html
Yes, using the Command Line Interface.
Thanks for showing me I have to use the calibre-debug, I saw that doc but was very confused. Is there anyway to access that api outside of the calibre-debug environment? I plan on running this in a container and it might be tough to get all the dependencies and get everything set up.
Advert
Old 04-14-2024, 05:42 AM   #6
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Thanks for showing me I have to use the calibre-debug, I saw that doc but was very confused. Is there anyway to access that api outside of the calibre-debug environment? I plan on running this in a container and it might be tough to get all the dependencies and get everything set up.
There's no need to set up a development environment. 'calibre-debug.exe' is an executable that comes with calibre regular install. Just open your terminal and type the command I gave you.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote