Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
jonnyace
jonnyace began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
TTS bug

Hello all,

I would like to report a TTS bug. I can reproduce this on my Kindle 3 (Wifi) and I wonder if others can experience this too.

It seems that the TTS has problems with a number of common words/phrases:

- in fact
- father
- family
- Dr (abbrev of doctor)

To see this: create a TXT file with some sentences with the above words. Use Calibre or something equivalent to convert to a mobi document (Kindle can do TTS with Mobi), and use TTS to read it.

In addition, Kindle also rushes over certain punctuation marks, extra whitespaces like when occuring at start of chapter, parentheses.

These are minor glitches which are confusing and irritating and mar the otherwise very solid TTS experience.
jonnyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I turn TTS on every now and then to get a giggle. The speech synthesizer on my TI-99/4A talked much more gooder than my Kindle.

(for those who potentially NEED the feature... I hope it gets better for you)
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes I've also seen "mass." read as Massachusetts. Also "lead" as in the metal is always pronounced. There are a few more thatbi cannot remember.

But these errors don't only happen with the kindle Microsoft 's Lit files alsobbhave the same error.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it's a great feature and works well enough. My biggest complaint is the lag a faster processer would produce be perfect.

I'm fine with the grammar errors, if i wasn't, I'd quit surfing the web.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I'm just glad I don't have to rely on text-to-speech - on my Kindle, it treats commas as if they were full stops (periods), but ignores full stops completely, running one sentence into the next. Makes it almost impossible to follow the meaning of the text being read out.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Sometimes the text-to-speech mispronunciations make me laugh out loud!

It came to "Mmm-mmm" and spoke it as the letter "M" in very rapid succession ("em em em em em em"). I thought it got stuck for a second! In one book, "New York" was used quite frequently. Every time, TTS would speak it with a very long pause between the two words. In another book, the word "fu**ers" was in the middle of a sentence and it practically shouted the word (with great emphasis). There have been some other interesting ones.

But, all in all, I think TTS does okay for what it is. I actually use it a lot. I track the words with my eyes while listening, so I'm able to get the meaning. I guess I'm used to its peculiarities.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #7
jonnyace

I've also noticed about "New York". However, while some mispronunciations are kind of understandable, the few I've listed are plain weird:
a. "father" is pronounced like "clavicle".
b. "in fact" is pronounced like "engine".
c. "family"... well, this is garbled.

These are common, English words. Not place names, not abbreviations, i.e., no excuse at all. Anybody noticed this?

And let me clarify, I think TTS is great. It is really useful, for instance, when reading while eating: you don't have to press the page-down button. Also, when reading in lowlight, TTS helps ease eyestrain.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
=X=
Wizard

I use TTS on my commute. I have a FM transmitter that hooks up to the lighter (for juice) and a 3.5mm jack that hooks up to the kindle. Before I drive I start the TTS and drive off.

They also sell battery operated FM transmitters for $10 at Wal Mart.

It's great for continuing to read a book when you need be on the go.

=X=
Old 01-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Sometimes the text-to-speech mispronunciations make me laugh out loud!

It came to "Mmm-mmm" and spoke it as the letter "M" in very rapid succession ("em em em em em em"). I thought it got stuck for a second! In one book, "New York" was used quite frequently. Every time, TTS would speak it with a very long pause between the two words. In another book, the word "fu**ers" was in the middle of a sentence and it practically shouted the word (with great emphasis). There have been some other interesting ones.
I laughed out loud when I read this. Thanks for that. I have Dragonspeak installed on my computer, and I loved getting a soft woman's voice to read nasty sexist rap lyrics. My son and I would be in tears.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Reminds me of my GPS. I frequently use Civic Center Drive which the GPS abbreviates as Civic Center Dr because of space. The GPS voice pronounces it as "Civic Center Doctor."

Though my GPS does have a far more pleasant speaking voice than the Kindle does.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
jonnyace

Just an update. After many tests, I confirmed that my Kindle TTS was mispronouncing ALL words starting with "fa"., e.g., "father", "fact", etc. It was mispronouncing them in such a weird, far-out way that it could only be a bug. However, after upgrading to firmware 3.1, I noticed that this particular TTS error no longer occurs. I am just that much happier now.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
Marker
Marker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I use TTS on my commute. I have a FM transmitter that hooks up to the lighter (for juice) and a 3.5mm jack that hooks up to the kindle. Before I drive I start the TTS and drive off.

They also sell battery operated FM transmitters for $10 at Wal Mart.

It's great for continuing to read a book when you need be on the go.

=X=
I am in the process of doing research before purchasing and do not understand your post at all.

Why do you need an FM transmitter? Do they not have a 12 volt adapter to use in the car? If not is the 3.5 mm jack part of the FM Transmitter?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I do not have the unit just yet.
Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
You can use a car adapter (cigarette lighter adapter under the old names) but I think the person just wanted to get better/louder sound and transmits to their car radio.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
it's great how it randomly thinks titles are abbreviations
dr. = drive instead of doctor
miss. = Mississippi at end of line

And it is really not true that TTS as a technology is not good. Quality TTS engines exist (I have used AT&T natural voice engine, as well as others that use context prediction to calculate inflection and reduce mispronunciations, and they do an incredible job. This technology is pretty old too, atleast 5 if not 10 or more years...
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
it's great how it randomly thinks titles are abbreviations
dr. = drive instead of doctor
miss. = Mississippi at end of line

And it is really not true that TTS as a technology is not good. Quality TTS engines exist (I have used AT&T natural voice engine, as well as others that use context prediction to calculate inflection and reduce mispronunciations, and they do an incredible job. This technology is pretty old too, atleast 5 if not 10 or more years...
PC-based TTS systems generally use a pronunciation dictionary for "problem" words. I suspect that, for reasons of size, the Kindle TTS one isn't dictionary-based, which will result in more errors.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tts