Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
TheBean
TheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toys

Device: none
White space inserted between paragraphs

Okay, I'm new to this, but this can't be right.

I have an ePub file which generally appears to be clean. When I load it in Sigil, it inserts white space (specifically, lf\b\b\b\b) between paragraphs (<h>, <p>, etc.)

It makes the HTML readable, but,of course, shows up in the file and on the device. I can't get it to stop. I created a set of saved search/replaces to clear them out and they just keep returning.

I'm sure there just some silly flag I didn't set, but I can't find it.

I'm using Sigil 0.7.2 in windows 7 64 bit.

please ... Help!
TheBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Try using an unzip program to unzip the files making up the epub. Examine the files in any text editor.

Make sure you do NOT have HTML Tidy turned on in the preferences in Sigil. It is undesirable and can add things to the file. The Pretty Print setting is sufficient.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have a look at this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207480

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
TheBean
TheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toysTheBean shares his or her toys

I've read all the previous threads regarding this, but I still don't get it.

My final testing is with the Kindle simulator (Kindle Previewer) for windows and the white space shows up on that. I know it's there to make the HTLM readable, but it ends up in the completed file.

Give me a minute ... I'll try the playing with the Clean Source flags.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The whitespace in the html code (that makes it readable) has absolutely nothing to do with with whitespace being rendered between paragraphs when viewing/reading (unless in the unlikely event you ARE using "white-space:pre-wrap" somewhere).

Margin between paragraphs is default. If you don't want it, you need to use styling (external, internal or inline) to tell it you don't want that default margin.

Create a stylesheet, link it to your html file(s) and add an entry that looks like:
Code:
p {
  margin: 0;
  text-indent: 1.2em;
}
That should get you started.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-02-2013 at 01:36 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBean View Post
My final testing is with the Kindle simulator (Kindle Previewer) for windows
Your final test of an ePub is with something that does not read ePub?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
TheBean

Ahhhh, step 1 complete .... I created a file that works (almost). Yes, turning off all the "Clean Source" flags works! Now .. I'll investigate the previous comment regarding white-space: pre-wrap to see if I can keep the readability.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
TheBean

DiapDealer, you're wonderful! I didn't have pre-wrap somewhere, I had it everywhere!
I had a friend of mine convert my Word doc into ePub using Pages. Apparently, pages puts a "white-spacere-wrap" at the beginning of every chapter.

I commented it out and I can not only read my HTML, but it shows up in my previewer correctly !!!!!!!!

Thank you all!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Your final test of an ePub is with something that does not read ePub?
Many of us upload epubs to the KDP, and some of us don't sell the book(s) elsewhere. So yes, checking it out on Kindle Previewer could be a reasonable thing to do for some author-publishers.

Personally, I upload the epub to the KDP, let it convert, then download the *.mobi file to run it through Kindle Previewer.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote