Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
getting Kindle4pc running in linux

i am running ubuntu 9.10, and having a devil ofa time getting it to run, (older version, for loading onto my 600) anyone have any hints?
Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
jpmahala
jpmahala began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Are you having problems installing or running it?

I found success by installing wine, then running the kindle4pc installer. You should then be able to run the kindle app and register it to your account. If you have issues with the fonts and text not displaying properly, you may need to change the windows version that wine uses. (Possibly to WinXP or Win98 mode).

Let me know if that helps.
jpmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
Lago
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmahala View Post
Are you having problems installing or running it?

I found success by installing wine, then running the kindle4pc installer. You should then be able to run the kindle app and register it to your account. If you have issues with the fonts and text not displaying properly, you may need to change the windows version that wine uses. (Possibly to WinXP or Win98 mode).

Let me know if that helps.
running WINE ver.1.1.44, emulating WINXP

the installer runs fine, but the program will not open. it 'thinks about it' for about 20 seconds, then silently fails.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I could not get the newer K4PC to install on my machine the install would fail, so I went back to the original K4PC and that works.

I've found that using the win98 setting or Win7 works best. the other settings will not have readable fonts.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Lago
Connoisseur

ok, finally found an installer that works. its 5.8 mb instead of 6.0mb. and i will email it to folks who need it.

now i gotta figure out how to get the scripts working so i can read them on my prs600.
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I couldn't get the scripts to work in linux, but if you do I'd be interested.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote