Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Gracias a Ficbot

I want to thank Ficbot for nominating Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin for the September read. I am a little more than a third of the way though and can hardly put it down. It is not a book I would usually select (especially when I'm paying for it), but my enjoyment has prompted me to go back through other nomination threads looking for more hidden gems! It thought it much better than The Mysterious Affair at Styles (the selected book, which I had previously read and liked) and the C.Chan Chinese Pigeon (which I subsequently read, wanted to like, but didn't much care for).

I've been trying to think of the name of the BBC Mystery program that I never missed featuring Derek Jacobi as a monk set in about the same timeframe as Mistress of the Art of Death but am drawing a blank. Do any of you old timers remember?
Of course anything w/Derek Jacobi.....
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Cadfael, the Cadfael Mysteries. Here's the link to the program
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108717/

and they were based on books written by Ellis Peters
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/ellis-peters/

Last edited by wayspooled; 10-08-2009 at 09:13 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I know how you feel. Isn't it great that MR has members such as Ficbot, wayspooled, and many, many others? Well, now, CharlieBird, you can count yourself as one of those great members.

Your thank you to ficbot about Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin had me searching for information. I may just have to get it now..
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was a really excellent book. Are you a sci-fi fan at all? I don't generally read a ton of book-form sci-fi, but I loved The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. It's about a priest who goes to try and make first contact on an alien planet. The novel begins when he comes back the sole survivor of his little expedition, badly injured and completely traumatized. The book jumps between his present-day recovery and flashbacks to the mission showing how it all went wrong...

It's more of a character story and the alien/spaceship issue is not so much a dominating feature.

If you ever want my rating for other books, I tag all my e-reads here:
http://delicious.com/ficbot

Now, off I go to troll past nomination threads for more ideas of stuff to read
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Ah, yeah, Cadfeal. Thank you, Wayspooled. & for the links. I was slightly surprised to find Ellis Peters a woman. And both she and Franklin were so good at descriptive detail of medieval Britain!

Thanks for the kind words, Dream. Yes, sometimes I feel near overwhelmed by all the info on MR...distracting my book reading.

Ficbot, not much of a sci-fi fan...spaceships/aliens with unpronounceable names battling away hours of limited reading time. I am going to look up The Sparrow since you say it's more about character. Typing this I just remembered how much I liked the BBC series The Red Dwarf, but it was really the characters and so damn funny.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was a really excellent book. Are you a sci-fi fan at all? I don't generally read a ton of book-form sci-fi, but I loved The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. It's about a priest who goes to try and make first contact on an alien planet. The novel begins when he comes back the sole survivor of his little expedition, badly injured and completely traumatized. The book jumps between his present-day recovery and flashbacks to the mission showing how it all went wrong...

It's more of a character story and the alien/spaceship issue is not so much a dominating feature.
OMG! The Sparrow ranks as one of my all time best ever books read. I was attending a sales meeting and reading The Sparrow while another speaker was presenting. I finished it just before lunch and went out immediately to find the sequel, Children of God. It was actually the review of Children of God on NPR's All Things Considered that got my attention and led me to purchase The Sparrow to begin with. I definitely recommend reading both books back-to-back. The ending of The Sparrow is bleak and you really need to read the sequel to bring everything to resolution.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote