Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Source code for new KPW in-line footnote feature?

According to the official specs, the new Kindle Paperwhite will support in-line popup footnotes. However, since the Kindle Publishing Guidelines haven't been updated yet, I'm wondering how they're supposed to be encoded.
Since Amazon has partial support for some HTML5/CSS3 and epub3 features, I did a test with the basic Moby Dick epub 3 sample (the footnote code is in preface_001.xhtml), but KindleGen reported lots of issues, which were most likely caused by other unsupported epub3 features.
I then extracted just the relevant page and created an epub2 test file that I compiled without problems with KindleGen, but in Kindle Previewer the popup footnote feature didn't work in Paperwhite mode, which didn't really surprise me.
Since Amazon has most likely added support for this feature in the recent 5.3.8 Paperwhite firmware update, I'd appreciate it if someone who has a Paperwhite with the 5.3.8 firmware could open my test file with it to find out if the footnote pops up, if you tap the 1.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi popup_fn_test.mobi (30.8 KB, 367 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have 5.3.8.

When I tap the 1, I got this text "These have been corrected in this EPUB3 edition." It works like a regular footnote. No pops up.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Since the new Paperwhite isn't out yet, I would not expect the tools to support the new features yet.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Since the new Paperwhite isn't out yet, I would not expect the tools to support the new features yet.
Not necessarily. IIRC, some ebook designers got early access to KindleGen versions with KF8 support before devices and apps with KF8 support were actually available. And many other hardware manufacturers offer SDKs with support for new features ahead of the release of new devices to enable third-party developers to provide content for them.

@Julius Caesar: Thanks for testing my file. Unlike susan_cassidy's post, your post actually provided useful information.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would think that this feature is based on heuristics rather than markup. Otherwise it would be fairly useless until such time as 1) they publish what markup is required and 2) publishers implement it.

Longer term, I'd hope that epub3 markup for popup footnotes (<aside> tag) will be preserved & will behave in the way epub3 specifies.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
On a PW 2 I didn't see any footnotes at all. Just "Origonal Transcriber's Notes:" and then some text...
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
On a PW 2 I didn't see any footnotes at all. Just "Origonal Transcriber's Notes:" and then some text...
It looks more and more like heuristics are being used to display popup footnotes. Can you confirm that both new books such as "Collision 2012" and older books such as "Infinite Jest" (or other books with lots of footnotes in them) have the popup footnotes feature on the PW2?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I checked out my older copy of the Oxford Classics Moby Dick and the footnotes do indeed pop up.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I checked out my older copy of the Oxford Classics Moby Dick and the footnotes do indeed pop up.
Thanks for testing this. It seems that I underestimated the skills of Kindle firmware programmers.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:28 AM   #10
AlexeiA
AlexeiA began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen
Hello!

I own Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen, which recently has been updated to 2nd Gen software (5.4.4). But footnotes still open in the old way - no popup (tested on various epubs converted by kindlegen). The Kindle User Guide says that "not all books support the Footnotes feature". So, back to the topic, what is "Source code for new KPW in-line footnote feature"? Can I change an epub somehow so that after kindlegen conversion the Footnotes feature start to work?

By the way, maybe Calibre can convert books properly? Going to test...

UPD1: No, after Calibre conversion still no popups.

UPD2: Oh, looks like the solution is here: Inline footnotes - solved? Sorry for this post.

--
Sorry for my English.

Last edited by AlexeiA; 03-27-2014 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Calibre conversion tested, solution found (?)
AlexeiA is offline   Reply With Quote