Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many of your paper books ahve you lent out or given away?
1% or less 39 32.50%
up to 10% 22 18.33%
up to 25% 17 14.17%
more than 25% 42 35.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #16
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
I used to lend out a lot of the books which I owned. If I enjoyed it, I would in my wild enthusiasm lend it out, until I found that a lot of the better ones were not being returned. One specific book which I loved and lent to a friend(?) who passed it on to her friend, who then departed for foreign shores taking my much loved book with her brought me to a screeching halt. Now I will give a book to someone if I don't love it enough to keep.

Our local Animal Welfare thrift shop got literally hundreds of books which I discarded when I got an ereader.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #17
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I lend most of my books to selected friends. They, in turn lend me copies of their books. We respect each other's books and so far they are always returned in good condition. If a book were to be trashed or lost (I keep and reread most of my books) then I would no longer include that person in my lending circle.
I get to read two or three times as many books as I buy this way so if I were to loose 1 or 2 (which hasn't happended yet) I would still be ahead.
This is the only downside I can see with my conversion to ereading as I have lost the ability to swap books with friends.
However as libraries start to stock more and more ebooks I will probably use them more. The other night after 10 pm I downloaded 3 books and waitlisted about 7 others. I hardly ever used my local library because I had to make a time to go there. If the books I wanted were already out then I had to go back when they were back but worst of all I had to remember to take the books back in time. I almost always had to extend my borrowing period just to give me time to get the books back. Downloading an ebook is so much easier.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #18
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I've pretty much lent (given) all the pbooks I've ever owned to my brother over a long period of time. He reciprocates, so we pretty much end up with all the books that the other one has bought. This only time any giving back goes on is when someone wants to read something again.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #19
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I lend books to my brother, as we have almost identical tastes, and I know he'll take care of my babies.

Other than that, I trust 1 or 2 people enough to let them borrow my books...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #20
denisek
denisek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, HTC Incredible, Xoom
I donate all of my paperbacks to the local library used book store. They sell them and use the proceeds to buy new books which include ebooks.

So I benefit indirectly.
denisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #21
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a very few books that I consider "keepers". I have these in hard copies and will read them again from time to time.

After I've read paper books that I don't consider "keepers" I swap them out at www.paperbackswap.com. I like being able to send my books to someone who wants to read them--and then I get to choose another books that I want to read.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't blame you Harry. If you loan something to someone you should expect that it will be returned in the same condition as it was in when you leant it to them. That's just common courtesy. I have a neighbor who used to borrow DVD's from me and to whom I don't loan them any more. The 1st time he mislaid a movie I ended up having to get a new copy (he later found it) the 2nd time (I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt) he took so long returning one that we'd both forgotten what he'd borrowed and he didn't seem concerned about having mislaid it. Needless to say I put my foot down on loaning any more. I buy things (books or DVD's) to have them, not to spend additional $$ to replace my copies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I never, ever, lend my paper books. I've found that other people don't treat them with the care and respect that I give to my own books. I've only lend people books twice; on both occasions they've come back to me in a shocking state. Never again!
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
What was the title of the book nohmi2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
I used to lend out a lot of the books which I owned. If I enjoyed it, I would in my wild enthusiasm lend it out, until I found that a lot of the better ones were not being returned. One specific book which I loved and lent to a friend(?) who passed it on to her friend, who then departed for foreign shores taking my much loved book with her brought me to a screeching halt. Now I will give a book to someone if I don't love it enough to keep.

Our local Animal Welfare thrift shop got literally hundreds of books which I discarded when I got an ereader.

Cheers.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I used to lend books outright, but many never came back
There were a few Co-workers that I exchanged (read hostage books ), whichede worked out in that I read authors that I might never shelled out coin. Unfortunatly the company and the job, no longer exist.

:: Precious :: Get away from my books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #25
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
What was the title of the book nohmi2?
Hi,

It was called 'The Sisters' and I have gone into Google to find it, and having read so many books since then, cannot even remember the author's name.
Someone has written a book with the same title since.

This book was about a wealthy family who lost everything during WW1, and how they coped with changing fortunes afterwards.

Thanks for asking.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #26
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I never, ever, lend my paper books. I've found that other people don't treat them with the care and respect that I give to my own books. I've only lend people books twice; on both occasions they've come back to me in a shocking state. Never again!
I hear it! I can read a paperback and it will often not even have a spine crease after. My paper books can last for many, many years of re-reads. I virtually never lend my paper books... not even to hubby.

I'm a re-reader, I want my old friends to stay intact.

As for books that I either don't have room for or don't want to read again, most of those go to the library book sale or other benefit, like while it was still operating, the animal shelter thrift shop. Those that have retained enough value, I sell and use the money to buy more books.

Actually, a recently discovered joy is the BN LendMe feature for Nook. It's fun to lend out ebooks, as there is no danger of harm. The sad bit is you only get to do it once per book. So far, I've borrowed two, one just today and lent one. But I hope to do more lending as I accumulate more books. Wish more publishers would allow the LendMe feature though. I don't think it will hurt sales... the book I just borrowed, well, I may buy it in the future to have in my own library.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #27
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I put 1% of less, but in reality, that's virtually none, as I own *very* few pbooks. The ones I currently own are almost exclusively from the library's $.50 book sale, and will be going back to be donated again (they were books I had already ready, and really don't need to own, not sure what came over me those times...)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #28
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Most of the paperback books I've owned were lent to friends or to charity shops. However most were given away to charity so it is the charity shops who will lose out now that I dont buy Paperbacks anymore.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #29
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I own more hardcovers than paperbacks. I used to lend them out to anybody, but had some not returned or returned in horrible shape. I am still in the 25% or more group though because I do have a couple friends that treat their books as I do, so I lend them books. I also give my nieces books I buy that I don't absolutely love.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #30
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I also gave up lending (other than immediate familY years ago.

However, when we moved from an apartment to a house 3 years ago, I purged about half my collection. and I've done it twice more because we keep adding more children's books, so my books get shoved out of the bookcase. :P

I give away to friends, donate to the library or recycle, depending on condition, and subject matter.

I'm down to 2-3 boxes of my childhood p-books I'm storing for the kids or am sentimentally attached to, a few favorite series in hardcover, and a small stack of gift books that I don't have the interest in reading in p-book form, but aren't available in e-book. Eventually, when they've collected enough dust or come out in e-book, I'll donate those, too.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote