Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Prices of the larger devices

Jinke A9 (9" SiPix) $330
*Kindle DX(10" eInk): $490
Entourage EDGE (10" LCD, 10" eInk): $490
4G Que(10" eInk):$650
Samsung E101(10.5" eInk): $700
8G Que (10.5" eInk):$800
*Irex DR1000(10" eInk) $860

Adam (10" Pixel Q): $???
Skiff: (11.5" eInk) $???
MSI Dual (2 10" LCD)$???
Ocean9 3G (9" eInk) $???

*shipping now
edit: Let's stick with the big screens

If you are in the market for a larger screen device, what is your price point?

Is anyone surprised the "expensive" Kindle DX looks to be one of the least expensive for now?

Last edited by kjk; 01-08-2010 at 09:47 AM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Nice question!!

My levels depend on the power of the device...

if is can function pretty much only as a reader or large PDA then $450 max...if it can also work as a true computer with most of the ability such as email, word processing (other office uses as well) along with running a complete OS like maybe Win7 and/or OS-whatever from Apple then $700ish if it uses an efficient panel like a PixelQi or even the larger Mirasol at around 10"-11".

I was not as impressed with the Edge and even less so with the MSI...the panels or maybe the OS just does not seem to leverage the dual panels well...my opinion of course...I could be wrong as we have only seen snippets of the abilities.

Right now, I don't see any larger format device which are any better than the DX or DR1000S (the current large-ish format device to compare against of course). These all are long on promise but nothing looks ready for mainstream use.

Last edited by brecklundin; 01-07-2010 at 06:52 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
more and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Entourage Edge (2 screens):$500
4G Que:$650
8G Que:$800
Adam (Pixel Q): $???
Skiff: $???
MSI Dual (2 screens)$???

I added to the list

Kindle DX $489
Irex DR1000 $859
MSI Dual (2 screens)$???
Ocean 3G ???
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
I added to the list

Kindle DX $489
Irex DR1000 $859

MSI Dual (2 screens)$???
Ocean 3G ???
great, thanks! (wow, didn't know the iRex was at the upper end)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
For my ideal large-format reader, I would pay up to $1000 without batting an eye. This would mean a full tablet functionality. I'd want an OS I could load applications on, like Linux, OSX or even Windows. It would also have to go at least a full day on a charge and weigh in at a pound or not much more. It can't be a furnace in my hands, either, which means it needs to get that long life on a fairly small battery. I'd want a color display that is daylight readable and fast enough to display video (though it doesn't need to get the full day charge if it's doing video the whole time). The display would need to be big enough to display a letter/A4 page at full size or with very little shrinking. This is a tall order, so I'm willing to pay a premium. If it does less, I pay less or wait. I would have found the DX a reasonable price if the PDF support were better.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
I added to the list

Kindle DX $489
Irex DR1000 $859
MSI Dual (2 screens)$???
Ocean 3G ???
Don't forget the iRex DR800 for $450. Granted that is an 8 inch device not 9.5-10.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Compared to the Kindle DX the 650 for the Que seems downright reasonable. You get so much more only 30% more money. The Irex DR is showing its age and I am sure will be reduced or replaced soon.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Compared to the Kindle DX the 650 for the Que seems downright reasonable. You get so much more only 30% more money. The Irex DR is showing its age and I am sure will be reduced or replaced soon.
Also, the iRex and Kindle DX use glass backed screens... which are much more prone to breakage than the Que's plastic screen will be.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
$800 for the Que 8gb seems utterly insane to me.

I'd spend $300ish for a large color reader. Good thing I won't need one of those for a few years.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
That's a good query there. I'd love to know that one too.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
$400US for the Sony Daily is as high as I'll go.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
You just read my mind!
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
iRex DR800: $450
Kindle DX: $490
Irex DR1000 $860

MSI Dual (2 screens)$???
Ocean 3G ???

You left out the Sony Reader PRS-900 at $399.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I think the Que is a much better deal at $650 then the Sony at $400. 7.1" screen? I don't call that a large screen, why get a new one at all? I wouldn't get that Sony at 320. If price is that important, wait for the Irex 800. Or one of the slew of 9.7" readers coming out.

Samsung at 699 for 9.7", if they are serious they should have their heads examined. Probably they will have large discounts.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #15
tneken
tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tneken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Isn't Entourage Edge missing in the list. My max will proberly be 450-500, so that could include the irex dr800 and the kindle dx
tneken is offline   Reply With Quote