Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2021, 07:57 PM   #1
hellogareth
hellogareth began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
B00OQVZDJM 5.12.2.1.1 Paperwhite. Wrong device for jailbreaking?

Hi everyone.

Am I able to jailbreak the Paperwhite I've bought? B00OQVZDJM 5.12.2.1.1

Taken from my reddit post:

I've built a small web application for my father so that he can update prices and availability of produce from his garden. I'm looking to mount an 8 or 10 inch display to the front wall of his house. Luckily, the spot is quite sheltered from the sun and rain, though the screen will need to be bright enough to see outside. It does get quite cold in Wales in winter (-3c) though I doubt the screen will be out during those months.

The weather durable screens are a bit too expensive for a small side-project such as this - so I'm looking for an alternative solution.

At the moment, I think either an old second-hand £30-40 tablet that I can turn on kiosk mode, that I can replace if it gets damaged by the weather. Or, build my own setup using a Raspberry Pi (that would be housed inside) and an e-paper screen that will improve visibility and reduce the amount of components that could diminish.

Any suggestions on equipment or general advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
hellogareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:53 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You'll have much less trouble fighting with the stock software with a Kobo than a Kindle.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #3
hellogareth
hellogareth began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You'll have much less trouble fighting with the stock software with a Kobo than a Kindle.
Thanks, NiLuJe!

I've persisted with the Kindle as I saw the potential of the ScreenSaver hack. I've installed that, as well as the Online Screen Saver. It's going well so far. I'm updating the image via Firebase by rendering a PNG using HTML5 canvas and updating the blob in the database.

Thanks!
hellogareth is offline   Reply With Quote