Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
File manager and collections creator for PRS-505

https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/sonyfmngr
Supports copying books from/to the device, converts subdirectories into collections, converts FB2 files into EPUB and more.
Needs some polishing but has a big potential.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fmgr505.png
Views:	981
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	17544  
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Does this write to the cards as well?
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trying it out now, windows version at work, it reads the SD card but not the MS. So far, so good, I like the backup of the main.xml after/before it gets written, will let you know more as I get it.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:00 AM   #4
sealbeater
Banned

Gave it a try, it's nice but the SD card actually wrote to the MS card. Also, it didnt' track all of the books, I'm not sure how many I tried but it's currently at 1169. I'm going to categorize my books today for the categories (very nice, first time I've used them) and I'm going to place as many as I can on the MS card, instead of using it to load them onto the card. I like the making of the media.xml, I'm hopeful that'll make some positive changes. Do you know if it's possible to access both cards?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
sealbeater
Banned

Ok, so today, I'm trying again, this time I filled both my SD and my MS card to the brim with books, let it read them all (got up to 4356). Made some discoveries, you can't have the device locked when you connect it to the PC, I think that's actually in the manual but worth noting. The program accesses the MS card first, so you have to let it run it's collection creation process, then unmount the "SD card" and then look for an SD card again, that'll bring up the SD card (which returned an error w/ unknown element which is actually expected) I am liking the cache.xml creation, as I dont' think the device does it reliably when presents with a large selection. Will update.

Ok so, if you have both an SD and a MS card, it'll see the MS card only, if you remove the MS card and reconnect the device with SD card only, it'll see the SD card.

Last edited by sealbeater; 11-04-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Correction of correction
Advert
Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
sealbeater
Banned

My SD card now reads as having 3919 books on it. I have no idea if it is accurate but that's the most I've ever gotten to show on a single card. I'm waiting for the MS to load bu t this software has got me very hopeful, it's better than letting the Reader make the cache.xml file itself.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just downloaded this and am looking forward to trying it out. Thanks!
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
That program does look like it has alot of potential. I happen to be a fan of the split panel environment (I like FreeCommander on Win* myself). Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
What's the difference between that and Caliber?
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
What's the difference between that and Caliber?
Calibre is a database-driven system that manages your books; conversion, storage, transport, etc. This tool just copies books from your hard drive to the 505 and vice-versa; it also creates collections on the fly. It offers only limited conversion features in comparison to calibre.

That said, I'm finding it very handy. I prefer my own book organization scheme to Calibre's so I can use the console tools Calibre offers and this tool to copy books to the 505.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
You actually can create or modify collections with Calibre. I use this feature frequently since I do like to organize my books via collections. With that said, I can see where both tools will be useful.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #12
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
You actually can create or modify collections with Calibre. I use this feature frequently since I do like to organize my books via collections. With that said, I can see where both tools will be useful.
I should have mentioned that. Calibre's collection routines are excellent.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Hmm so using this+caliber via console I can get it to stop grabbing my books out of their organized folders, and stuffing them into individual folders then into one big folder elsewhere?
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Hmm so using this+caliber via console I can get it to stop grabbing my books out of their organized folders, and stuffing them into individual folders then into one big folder elsewhere?
Yes... if you don't use the calibre GUI you can use the command line tools in place if you want. Personally, I like the way calibre organizes my ebooks into folders.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Yes.

Calibre stores books in a single top-level folder with author->book folders underneath. It's fine, but not my cup of tea. Bob had made the suggestion that Calibre offer the choice of not managing files, like itunes, but Kovid's got too much on his plate to implement something he sees little demand for. Fair enough. Filemanager (thing needs a name!<g>) plus Calibre console works, although Calibre's collection feature is more sophisticated.