Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
BetaPanther
BetaPanther began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Question Problems with Sony PRS-650, SD memory card. Is this the norm?

Okay, can SOMEBODY help Me out here. I brought a memory card for My Sony PRS-650, 16 GB, and, it will NOT work work. I left it in over night, one night, trying to get it to load, but, in the morning, still frozen on the loading screen. Restarted, and, rinse wash, and, repeat, over and over again, it will just not load. Now, I am fully aware, that, the more storys you have, the longer things take to load, but, its 16 gb, again, and, its only got THREE GBS on it, so, not even half way, not 1/8s, of a freaking way. So, while things take lobger to load, thats why I BROUGHT THE EXPENSIVE MEMORY SD COMPATIBLE CARD, because I had to many fics, and, it was not letting Me load the Reader, but, not, won't even open on the card, so, My question is, is anyone else having this problem, is it like Kindles just shutting down mid-book, which, mine does, btw, (rotten luck I have, and, no, I don't have a light cover for night reading to explain it) but, if thats the case, and readers just do not have moxy and power to load three gibs, or, even the card with ONE book on it, why the hell do they even have the slots? Can't believe I was so excited just a week ago, about buying a Sony Ereader, because My kindle is crap, just seems that there is problem after prob;em with these Ereaders, and, nothing to fix them, but, if anyone has had, a card that will not load, and, yes, I have formatted it, twice, and, know of a way to fix this, please, tell Me, or, just let Me know if, Sony are liars, saying you get all this space you can't even use, and, give Me the peace of mind. Thank you for your time, Meggan.
BetaPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
have you tried formatting the card while its in the reader and on its own???
and if you do and find that it now works i would recommend installing prs+ as this will allow you to add folders of books to your memory card and also allows you to set your reader to not scan your card so you don't have to wait while your readers tries to sort out an extensive library.

cheers mick.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Have you tried using the card in another device? Maybe the card is the problem and not the reader. What do you mean by "MEMORY SD COMPATIBLE CARD". Is it an SD card or not? Did you buy the card from a reputable store or for $1 from a Chinese seller on eBay? They're known for sending shoddy product.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Also if the card already has books loaded on it, it might be a problem book on the card hanging it up. If all your books are on the card, the reader reads things off the sd card slower than if it is on the device itself. It's why I downgraded my SD card from 8GB down to 1GB or 2GB. They seem to read faster on the device. 16GB may be too large for it.

But I also agree with Shopaholic, try the card in a different device to see if it even works in the first place. (If it does, reformat it on your reader and that might help). Otherwise I would advise you to go with a smaller size card.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
16GB works fine in mine but different cards suit different machines, not all cards are created equal... also had to return one bargain card that showed 16GB until used then showed 2.7MB... if you are really trying to use a lot of books then you should look at PRS+ as well...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
BetaPanther

Hello. Sorry I took so long to reply, but, I wanted to try out all suggestions, and test with the seriousness they duly deserved. MPD123; Thank you, that was a very informative reply, but, I reformatted card, both ways, AND, downloaded and added prs+, and, no dice. As, while the fics FINALLY appeared on SD Card menory, sending Me over the damn moon, it turns out, that, by disabling scanning of card, you can't view them on card anymore, and, they must be transferred to main memory anyway, and, I have so much more then 2 gbs, so, it would be counter productive, and, against what I'm trying to do anyway, but, thank you, it really did seem like the solution for awhile. Shopaholic; I mean, by a compatible card, that, you might know, some memory cards, are for cameras, and the like, only, so, I got, and expensive card, and, not from ebay, a card that can be used on ALL sony products. Though, it IS an australian card, and, the reader is american. Would that make a difference? Do not want to seem a dunce, I just never got a satisfactory answer on this front, anywhere, and, it just seemed to Me, even though the card loads, that could have something to do with it. Maybe. luvduchovny; As I said, in above post, I brought a Two gb memory card also. I did write that, didn't I? I hope its seeable. Anyway. And, that card also WILL not load. I left in overnight, and, in the morning, the little circle in the center of the screen was still revolving, and, it resetted itself before My very eyes. Which is what it does, just, worse, due to larger memory, with the 16 gbs. Rinse, wash, and, repeat, repeat, repeat..... over and over again, until the power runs out. Will just not load, no matter the size. elcreative; That is true, but, have brought two cards by now, so, unless it is the australia/american problem I speculated on earlier, do not think it is the card. And, it could be My machine, but, I payed 300+ dollars for it on ebay, so, I can just not afford another right now. Well, thank you all for trying, though, I must say, I hope other replys, do come through. Fingers, as ever, crossed, BetaPanther.

Last edited by BetaPanther; 10-18-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Sorry I can't follow, what you are trying to do, and maybe I sound blunt, but..

With PRS+ and card-scan fully disabled you can always browse the content of the card via BrowseFolder, and carry your whole library with you that way.

It is true that to read a book in this mode, it is copied into IM and opend from there.

But how, by all means, can you read 2 Gig books at once?

Read the book, finish it, delete it (from IM, it is still on the card) and copy over the next one.

Or am I missing some thing, and reading isn't your primary goal with all that books?

Edit/Add: after reading your post twice (some line breakes may help) it is very likely that one of the books on the card (as stated by luvduchovny) is causing the problems/restarts of the reader. (I assume they are all from trusted, high quallity sources, but who knows...)
If you want to spent the time, erease the card, copy some 100 titles to the card, let the reader scan, and add the next bunch. This way you may be able to narrow it down to the problematic file(s)

Last edited by Mark Nord; 10-18-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
BetaPanther

To be blunt, Myself, Mark N; there is a difference between
blunt' and 'rude'.
(Though, I suppose, as people in My life would say, 'Those in Glass Houses......' So, yes, I can't really judge.)
Though, I do thank you for your good advice. It just seems, that, if they say it can hold upto 32 GBS, you shouldn't have to go through all the hoops like this. But, then, when is anything ever easy, especially with E-Readers. Thats just how I Write, alot of people do (And, I assume you meant, 'Breaks'.) but, yes, I concede, I probably could have cleaned up My long rely, just a tad. Or, more like a-lot, but, I was tired, so, it is what it is. Again, I thank you, this sounds like it might work, so, I shall go try. Thank you as ever, for your time, Beta-Panther.

Oh, by the way, your suggestion worked. So, you might be a bit rude, but, at least you have smart suggestions. In all seriousness; THANK YOU. I have over five thousand books, and, having to always swap back and forth, because I did not have room for them all, was driving Me even more nuts.
Thank you all for your time, and, hard effort, you really have no idea how I appreciate it, BetaPanther.

Oh, and, I also wish to apologize. It was never My intention to make it hard for people to understand My writing, that wouldn't work out for Me, after all, but, in life, I'm just a fast talker, and writer, and, sometimes, things just run into each other. But, I am sorry, and, I really am so, so grateful for all your help. I won't be coming back to this post from now on, as, I am a little tired of the comments on My formatting. Its just how I am, and, at least I try to add many details, and, attempt proper spelling, unlike many others out there. But, anyhow, again, thanks, and, bye. BetaPanther.

Last edited by BetaPanther; 10-19-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:10 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaPanther View Post
Thats just how I Write, alot of people do (And, I assume you meant, 'Breaks'.) but, yes, I concede, I probably could have cleaned up My long rely, just a tad. Or, more like a-lot, but, I was tired, so, it is what it is. Again, I thank you, this sounds like it might work, so, I shall go try. Thank you as ever, for your time, Beta-Panther.
I'm glad you got a response. I saw a giant paragraph with no formatting and just passed up even trying to read or make sense of it. But low and behold in the very next post Mark was replying to you with apparently sound advice.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
PRS+ plus has "scan disabled (load cache)" mode, when you can still open books directly from SD/MS card even with disabled scan.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote