Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I assume Nyssa meant she'd have to go to the library to get the card, so it has to be a nearby county. Unlike Alachua, unfortunately. But yes, it's worth $25 for a card, so long as it doesn't involve a tankful or more of gas as well.
I think you are correct and I just misread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #17
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Um... How can you go to a library in person to download eBooks? That's not possible. They don't allow it. But yes, the $25 fee is worth it to get access to free eBooks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I assume Nyssa meant she'd have to go to the library to get the card, so it has to be a nearby county. Unlike Alachua, unfortunately. But yes, it's worth $25 for a card, so long as it doesn't involve a tankful or more of gas as well.
Quote:
I think you are correct and I just misread.

Right. I would have to apply for and pick up the card in person. Osceola is closer, but still approx. 3 hours away.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's still worth it (IMHO) even thought it's 3 hours away.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Ha, this was the book club selection this month? I coincidentally started listening to the audio book last week, but I'm just using it as a bedtime story, which can mean less than 20 minutes per day actually listening. I'm only up to the point just after he brings back the Chronicler after the spider-beast bonfire. So far it's...less than compelling, which is kind of what I look for in a bedtime story

The emphasis on stories and nursery rhymes seems a little forced, and in general the world just isn't filling out for me--all the characters seem more like 'types' than people, and the places and culture seem just barely sketched in.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've just recently started reading this because I had to wait for it at the library and only recently got it. But I am up to the point where the story is about to begin. The story told to the Chronicler. This is supposedly where it starts to get good.
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I've just recently started reading this because I had to wait for it at the library and only recently got it. But I am up to the point where the story is about to begin. The story told to the Chronicler. This is supposedly where it starts to get good.
You have a way to go to get to the point where I currently am, which to me is where is starts to get moving and get "good". I think I'm about 1/2 way through the book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You have a way to go to get to the point where I currently am, which to me is where is starts to get moving and get "good". I think I'm about 1/2 way through the book.

BOb
I plan on spending a good amount of time this weekend reading. So I hope to be at least 300 pages into it by the weekend's end.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #23
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I purchased the second book, but haven't gone around to reading it. Funny thing is, I keep hearing about the (sex-filled?) scene in the fairy world - you are not the only one who thinks it drags, apparently.

And yes, I am curious about the scrael. I think that's the strong point of the story - and it's sadly undeveloped in the first book.

And I am convinced the author had tuition-money problems as well. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder

To some extent, it seems to me this book had the potential to be truly epic - but it needed a couple more revisions and possibly a serious editor. There are just some edges to be smoothed, the basic ingredients are there - and the writing is not bad, for fantasy standards.

I am glad I read it, will keep reading the series. But I am not enthusiastic.
Oh I agree with every word you said above I think that scene in the fairy world was a bit unnecessary.

The scraels was featured only, as many other details: Bash, for example. His identity was never clear, at least in Wise Man's Fear.

And the 3rd book is so-so to me. I'll read it... but not very enthusiastically
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #24
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
I'm not a fan of SciFi in general. So when this book came up as a book club choice I went into it kicking and screaming. I finished it in a weekend! Absolutely couldn't put it down! I bought the second one within minutes of it becoming available. Not quite as great, but still thoroughly enjoyable. Now just keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't take another few years to finish the series.
I was going to avoid this one, as though I still read some sci-fi, I am not a fantasy fan, but now you have given me food for thought...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:35 AM   #25
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
He writes well , the story is good but book one and two would have made an excellent single book.of about 800 pages.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
While I like Rothfuss' writing, there's just way too many words in the first two books in this series. Plus, I don't like being beat over the head with the concept that Kvothe may not be "speaking the plain truth." Rothfuss is too wrapped up in trying to sucker everyone into falling in love with the narrator's stories so that he can shock everyone later with the revelation that Kvothe has been a big, fat, liar from the get go. Will he ever kill a king? (Kingkiller chronicles) or will it just turn out to be more exaggerated "spin" from an unreliable narrator?

He's not clever enough by half to keep me on the hook for three books.

EDIT: Oops, sorry... i just realized it's probably considered bad form to comment on the book when you don't normally participate in the book club. Nobody likes a cherry-picker.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-02-2011 at 09:28 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #27
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

EDIT: Oops, sorry... i just realized it's probably considered bad form to comment on the book when you don't normally participate in the book club. Nobody likes a cherry-picker.
Don't be silly! You are free to participate at any time. This isn't a "closed" club...many people come and go at will. We usually get a lot more voting participation than discussion participation, so comments are appreciated.

Thank you.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #28
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I loved, adored, and gobbled down the opening chapters of this book whole. I don't think I have ever seen a more perfectly crafted opening.

The rest of the book was a good read, but it left me with a 'downer' feeling that I didn't quite like. Also, I agree with DiapDealer that the wordage was a bit too much for the story.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #29
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've got about 50 pages left of the book; I hope to finish it tonight. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but I do find that it has dragged a bit in places. I am looking forward to reading the sequel, however.

I do find Kvothe a bit arrogant, but not annoyingly so.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #30
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I Really enjoyed this book, I am really bad with any kind of analysis or review so that's about all I can say. I will read the next in the series when it comes out
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote