Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
ebook has words running together with no gaps between them likethis

The book I am currently reading seems to have a lot of words that run together without gaps where they should be. Thereare several sentences thatare displaying like this. I haven't noticed it in other ebooks. Just wondering, is this likely to be the fault of the publishers, the software or my reader or something else? I have a Sony PRS-650 and I had downloaded the book from A&R in Australia and used the Sony Library software. Any ideas?
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Oh, what fun. I once had an ebook in which at least TheFirstSentenceOfEachChapterWasSoLongThatItWouldR unOffTheView. Then there were the page numbers interspersed throughout, and random words also glued together. (I should have demanded a refund, come to think of it.) What book was yours, out of curiosity?

In many cases, as it is I suspect with A&R, bad ebooks are the publishers' fault. Try complaining to A&R all the same though: 'Ebooks cannot be returned, please choose carefully. If your eBook appears to be faulty, please contact customer service to discuss the issue.' [*]
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Epubs shouldn't be doing that. PDF library books ... the formatting can be a bit "off" though not quite that much!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
I've come across occasional examples of this in some ebooks. Also cases of hyphenation in the middle of a line, some- thing like this. Presumably ebooks are not always proof-read as assiduously as pbooks.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #5
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
Artifacts such as "some-thing", "somethingwicked" or "somethlng" are typical of OCRed books that haven't been proofread. You find them a lot in homebrew (read: pirate) ebooks, but also in a fair few ebooks sold by big-name distributors that are also scanned paper books.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRoast View Post
The book I am currently reading seems to have a lot of words that run together without gaps where they should be. Thereare several sentences thatare displaying like this. I haven't noticed it in other ebooks. Just wondering, is this likely to be the fault of the publishers, the software or my reader or something else? I have a Sony PRS-650 and I had downloaded the book from A&R in Australia and used the Sony Library software. Any ideas?
I find this is very often a question of punctuation marks which have not been displayed properly. One of my chief suspects is the dash between words, can't remember its proper name - this kind of thing that marks a parenthetical thought.

I thought gutenberg.org books were free of it, but when I replaced the copy of "Emma" which came with my ebookreader with the one from Gutenberg it had the same problem.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Hmmm.... well I guess I will contact A&R and see what they say. It seems a bit sloppy and we pay high prices for ebooks in Aust.
viviena, the book I was reading was one by Arnaldur Indridason. I keep coming across words that at first glance look like words I don't know. I've even wondered if they Icelandic or something and then I realise, they are just two words stuck together.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
DarkRoast
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
I find this is very often a question of punctuation marks which have not been displayed properly. One of my chief suspects is the dash between words, can't remember its proper name - this kind of thing that marks a parenthetical thought.
No, missing punctuation doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem with this ebook.... just twowords stucktogether.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRoast View Post
The official Mobi converter does that when PDF is used as the source file, and so does Calibre. Lazy/ignorant publisher trying to use print-based files for ebooks.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I have come across a few books recently where the words are broken up...

"I think what you are saying is un sup port ed. Do not say such things anymore. It makes you look sup er fi cial."
Sometimes more than once per page.

AN NOY ING.

It seems book-specific. The source file is NOT pdf. These are brand new releases.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Many times this is caused by physical books being scanned and converted to digital wording via OCR type technology. Sometimes if a smaller print book was used, it can do that. I have seen that plenty of times with older books that had to be scanned or books submitted and only available via PDF and converted.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I have come across a few books recently where the words are broken up...

"I think what you are saying is un sup port ed. Do not say such things anymore. It makes you look sup er fi cial."
Sometimes more than once per page.

AN NOY ING.

It seems book-specific. The source file is NOT pdf. These are brand new releases.
How do you know the source is not PDF, are they ebooks you have created yourself?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
How do you know the source is not PDF, are they ebooks you have created yourself?
By source I mean the file I purchased -- which is epub. If this is the artifact of a sloppy pdf-to-epub conversion done by the publisher and then sold, shame on them. Let the floggings comence.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
By source I mean the file I purchased -- which is epub. If this is the artifact of a sloppy pdf-to-epub conversion done by the publisher and then sold, shame on them. Let the floggings comence.
It is, no doubt, the artifact of a sloppy whatever-to-epub conversion done by the publisher (or someone hired by them), with no proper proofreading or quality check.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Who is the publisher?