Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Spain reduced the VAT on ebooks

According to El País, the Spanish government has approved a reduced VAT of 4% for ebooks, the same as for paper books (compared to the standard 16%). This should reduce a bit the price of ebooks in Spain, but the real problem is the lack of ebooks at all. Maybe this will encourage publishers to release ebooks, though.

The article also says that the reduced VAT obeys to a EU recommendation, and announces the launch of the Enclave project of the Biblioteca Digital Hispánica (Hispanic Digital Library), which will supposedly be a portal for publishers to sell ebooks... Well, we'll see.

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-15-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
According to El País, the Spanish government has approved a reduced VAT of 4% for ebooks, the same as for paper books (compared to the standard 16%). This should reduce a bit the price of ebooks in Spain, but the real problem is the lack of ebooks at all. Maybe this will encourage publishers to release ebooks, though.

The article also says that the reduced VAT obeys to a EU recommendation, and announces the launch of the Enclave project of the Biblioteca Digital Hispánica (Hispanic Digital Library), which will supposedly be a portal for publishers to sell ebooks... Well, we'll see.
It's interesting that they can do this. I was under the impression that the EU "eCommerce VAT Directive" compelled member states to charge their full rate of VAT for electronic data, which includes eBooks. Perhaps something's changed in the regulatory framework.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
I was just about to create a new thread about this!

It's certainly great to the buyers. But there is still a great need for spanish ebooks. Some days ago a new Spanish ebook store appeared - www.leqtor.com - but there's is still very few content in the Spanish language. There's this rumour about putting soon 7.000 titles in Spanish in Amazon for the Kindle, but let's wait and see...
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's interesting that they can do this. I was under the impression that the EU "eCommerce VAT Directive" compelled member states to charge their full rate of VAT for electronic data, which includes eBooks. Perhaps something's changed in the regulatory framework.
That was my impression as well. E-books aren't books but electronic services (aka, download services) unless you buy a physical carrier, such as a CD-ROM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That was my impression as well. E-books aren't books but electronic services (aka, download services) unless you buy a physical carrier, such as a CD-ROM.
That's right. The law was brought in primarily to ensure that music downloads didn't escape paying VAT. eBooks just happened to get "caught up" in it.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamastorx View Post
There's this rumour about putting soon 7.000 titles in Spanish in Amazon for the Kindle, but let's wait and see...
Currently there's about 2000 Spanish ebooks for the Kindle. Not sure if they are any good or mostly PD, but at least it's a start .

And that site you mentioned, leqtor, seems to have their own ebook reader. It looks like a rebranded netronix. The number of new devices lately is astounding.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 12-15-2009 at 09:22 AM.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Currently there's about 2000 Spanish ebooks for the Kindle. Not sure if they are any good or mostly PD, but at least it's a start .

And that site you mentioned, leqtor, seems to have their own ebook reader. It looks like a rebranded netronix. The number of new devices lately is astounding.
It's true, but they're mostly P.D. or self-help books and the kind. I was thinking in brand new titles.

The "Leqtor" has just a couple of books. It seams that the Spanish publishers are still afraid of jumping to the ebook train...
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
It's true, but they're mostly P.D. or self-help books and the kind. I was thinking in brand new titles.

The "Leqtor" has just a couple of books. It seams that the Spanish publishers are still afraid of jumping to the ebook train...
I know what you mean... For years, we had only those books, until the major online bookstore started selling ebooks (and it took them a long time to convince publishers!). Problem is, somebody needs to start. And publishers are generally the most hide-bound groups of them all...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:

Today I heard on the local radio station that about 800 hundred titles are available to purchase in the "Biblioteca Nacional" website.

628 seems to be the actual number: http://bdh.bne.es/bnesearch/Search.d...10&language=es

Some titles are in catala (catalonian), none in galego (galician) or in euskera (basque), i think.

Mostly essay, some text books, some technology/science.

Regards.
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksor View Post
Today I heard on the local radio station that about 800 hundred titles are available to purchase in the "Biblioteca Nacional" website.

628 seems to be the actual number: http://bdh.bne.es/bnesearch/Search.d...10&language=es

Some titles are in catala (catalonian), none in galego (galician) or in euskera (basque), i think.

Mostly essay, some text books, some technology/science.

Regards.
Sorry, there ARE books in galician and basque languages.

Apologize for the mistake.
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
I was just about to create a new thread about this!

It's certainly great to the buyers. But there is still a great need for spanish ebooks. Some days ago a new Spanish ebook store appeared - www.leqtor.com - but there's is still very few content in the Spanish language. There's this rumour about putting soon 7.000 titles in Spanish in Amazon for the Kindle, but let's wait and see...
This store resembles Sony's Reader Store in layout. Someone, who knows how and where, should add it to the MR wiki since I can't find any mention of it.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
raulf
raulf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
That's good news. Sadly Spanish e-retailers are still few and far between, and their servers are not exactly filled with TB upon TB of e-books.

I noticed that leqtor has several titles by Editorial Maeva, and i read elsewhere that they are using social networks to promote their books[in spanish]. Maybe we have a pioneer here.

EDIT: btw, the video at leqtor.com shows some books by publishers such as RBA.

Last edited by raulf; 12-15-2009 at 06:22 PM.
raulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
That sounds good.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, it looks good FOR PUBLISHERS. I hope the reduction arrives to customers, but looking at prices at www.leqtor.com or www.amabook.com (another book stoore) I seriously afraid it isn't going to arrive.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:50 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Well, it looks good FOR PUBLISHERS. I hope the reduction arrives to customers, but looking at prices at www.leqtor.com or www.amabook.com (another book stoore) I seriously afraid it isn't going to arrive.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "it looks good for publishers". Nobody makes any "profit" out of VAT - you just collect it from your customers, and pay it to the government. The VAT rate affects the price that people pay for your product, but it doesn't affect in the slightest the amount of money that the seller ends up with.