Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Change SIM in Intl Kindle?

Anyone disassembled the Intl Kindle yet? Do you think it would be possible to change the sim-card and release the full power of the browser and opening up for other applications to use the internet?
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
swede
swede began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
Anyone disassembled the Intl Kindle yet? Do you think it would be possible to change the sim-card and release the full power of the browser and opening up for other applications to use the internet?
Hi,

I did dissasable my kindle intl, after I found someone who have opened a K2. And yest ,there is a simcard inside it. I tried to insert a simcard from Telia, and turn the device on, to try to surf

but i didnt manage to get it work with my card, it did find the swedish networks, telia, 3 and so on, but i wasnt able to surf after ive selected one of thoese.

Didnt want to mess around to much, so i exchanged back to the original sim-card and it still workd. *phew*

The idial for me would be to have an own simcard even if i would have to pay for it - and be able to surf some.

Any other that have succeded?
swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #3
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Changing the SIM card only won't help achieve what you want.

All internet traffic on the Kindle goes through Amazon proxy. Say you change the SIM, it's very likely you would then get no internet at all..

There are two solutions to get full browsing on your Kindle right now, without changing the sim.

1-Set your country to US in the Amazon Kindle configuration page
2-Disable the proxy on the kindle itself by editing some configuration file

I won't disclose how 2 is done ; Amazon giving us *free* internet access to some sites is a bonus that wasn't even supposed to be there in the first place. Getting around their restrictions will cost Amazon heaps of $$$ and they could pull the plug to everyone...
I prefer restricted free internet, than no internet at all
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
I won't disclose how 2 is done ; Amazon giving us *free* internet access to some sites is a bonus that wasn't even supposed to be there in the first place. Getting around their restrictions will cost Amazon heaps of $$$ and they could pull the plug to everyone...
That's why I asked about changing the sim-card to something that would not be charged to Amazon.

swede says it is possible to change the sim-card and you says that one has to disable the proxy-settings, combine those and so far it seems achievable. Would there be anything one has to change? Like some network settings or such?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
That's why I asked about changing the sim-card to something that would not be charged to Amazon.

swede says it is possible to change the sim-card and you says that one has to disable the proxy-settings, combine those and so far it seems achievable. Would there be anything one has to change? Like some network settings or such?
No disabling the proxy-settings of the main configuration is all you would need to do...

But again, if you change your region to US in the kindle settings page ; you can browse any site ... but will be charged $1.99 whenever you download a book.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
Jonas777
Groupie

Quote:
But again, if you change your region to US in the kindle settings page ; you can browse any site ... but will be charged $1.99 whenever you download a book.
Until Amazon finds out and shuts it down completly, I assume. Well, maybe it does not matter. Websurfing on the kindle is probably not that fun anyway.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Quote:
Until Amazon finds out and shuts it down completly, I assume. Well, maybe it does not matter. Websurfing on the kindle is probably not that fun anyway.
For now it's not, but I predict that the inevitable tide of competition will in a year or so force Kindles to go color and multi-purpose, and people will want to use them like laptops -- and for a small monthly browsing fee, they will be able to. For people who complain that they loved the black and white Kindles, Amazon will provide a button that switches to b&w mode.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
swede
swede began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Intl
Quote:
I agree, i tried this mostly out of curiosity, and what would be cool if of course if i could reach other sites and download books from the internet directly without using my computer.

but to be honest, my Kindle isnt something i intend to browse the web with, its for reading
swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 AM   #9
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
Guess what you need is the proxy program on this page:
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...id%3D68&page=1

1. Get your toolchain ready and build reqs.c, then replace Amazon binary with the same name.
2. Change /etc/hosts, redirect Amazon proxy to 127.0.0.1

I'm not sure how Amazon handles the international roaming fees or whatever charge that will incur. This might break your end user agreement with Amazon so use with caution.

Quote:

DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyKnight View Post
Guess what you need is the proxy program on this page:
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...id%3D68&page=1

1. Get your toolchain ready and build reqs.c, then replace Amazon binary with the same name.

2. Change /etc/hosts, redirect Amazon proxy to 127.0.0.1
Why? when changing one line in the configuration file will disable the amazon proxy?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #11
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

You didn't read my post carefully. You'll need to build tinyproxyd, and have it run in the background after changing the configuration file.

Quote:
Why? when changing one line in the configuration file will disable the amazon proxy?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #12
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyKnight View Post
You didn't read my post carefully. You'll need to build tinyproxyd, and have it run in the background after changing the configuration file.
I read your post carefully.

And my comment is still "why?" when changing one line in the configuration file is all that is required to prevent traffic to go through Amazon's proxy.
There's no need to run a local tinyproxyd ...

/opt/amazon/ebook/config/browser_prefs
Old 11-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Come on, guys. Start messing around with the proxy and the inevitable result will be no free internet access to anything for anyone. Is it really worth it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
DairyKnight
Connoisseur

I'm confused with your comments. The tinyproxy build above was actually intended for browsing non-UTF8 pages, and I suppose that will help to go around Amazon's proxy as well. As it resolves their proxy to be localhost, all traffic will be routed through the local tinyproxy.

Quote:
I read your post carefully.

And my comment is still "why?" when changing one line in the configuration file is all that is required to prevent traffic to go through Amazon's proxy.
There's no need to run a local tinyproxyd ...

/opt/amazon/ebook/config/browser_prefs
Old 11-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
kindlemap.net
kindlemap.net began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Come on, guys. Start messing around with the proxy and the inevitable result will be no free internet access to anything for anyone. Is it really worth it?
Amen!
kindlemap.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle modifications