Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #61
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If you read the comment above the images, you will learn that the O.P. did that to decrease the file sizes.

Last edited by knc1; 07-20-2012 at 04:37 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #62
1094Jacob
Amateur Radio Extra Class
1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi
Thanks for pointing that out, I didnt see it.
1094Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #63
wildcolor
Enthusiast
wildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: kindle 4nt
This is really good for me (win7 & K4NT user). It works straight away...

One thing is that my kindle only refreshes every 10+ seconds. It is too slow for what I do. How is the speed in your guys' kindles? Is it faster than 0.1fps?
wildcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #64
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hi. you need to use Hawhills KindleVnc for faster performance.
that will do what you expect I imagine.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #65
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcolor View Post
This is really good for me (win7 & K4NT user). It works straight away...

One thing is that my kindle only refreshes every 10+ seconds. It is too slow for what I do. How is the speed in your guys' kindles? Is it faster than 0.1fps?
You can do 7.7 FPS on a K3 or newer using nc and gmplay on the kindle, displaying a live video stream from a host PC. On the host PC, you need to render to a raw frambuffer and pipe that to raw2gmv and nc to the kindle... It can go up to about 40 FPS on a K4 or newer, but 7.7 FPS is adequate for reasonably fluid animation. See the "geekmaster kindle video player" thread for details:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177455

EDIT: A benefit to using gmplay is that it is a native mode app that works on all the kindles DX through PW, and when booted from both main and diags (important on the K4). Beware that on the DX and DXG, the framerate is limited to only 1.5 FPS.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #66
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can do 7.7 FPS on a K3 or newer using nc and gmplay on the kindle, displaying a live video stream from a host PC. On the host PC, you need to render to a raw frambuffer and pipe that to raw2gmv and nc to the kindle... It can go up to about 40 FPS on a K4 or newer, but 7.7 FPS is adequate for reasonably fluid animation. See the "geekmaster kindle video player" thread for details:

EDIT: A benefit to using gmplay is that it is a native mode app that works on all the kindles DX through PW, and when booted from both main and diags (important on the K4). Beware that on the DX and DXG, the framerate is limited to only 1.5 FPS.
One thing you don't (directly) mention in this tech lowdown is that code not specifically designed for the devices will/may have extra slowdown owing to other resource/optimisation related issues.

Or to put that another way - code specifically crafted for the device from the ground up will (usually) outperform code that is just dragged kicking and screaming onto the platform.

: )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #67
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
One thing you don't (directly) mention in this tech lowdown is that code not specifically designed for the devices will/may have extra slowdown owing to other resource/optimisation related issues.

Or to put that another way - code specifically crafted for the device from the ground up will (usually) outperform code that is just dragged kicking and screaming onto the platform.

: )
One of many reasons why I like "programming on the bare metal". I have always been a big fan of pushing limited technology much farther and faster than most people believe is even possible. Often, the hardware is capable of far more than the device drivers even attempt to support (due to developmental budget constraints).
Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #68
wildcolor
Enthusiast
wildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: kindle 4nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post

Wow, the technique you mentioned seems to be extremely fansicnating. It goes up to 40FPS on a K4?????????????? I will definitely look into this after work.

Do we actually need to program on the kindle using the technique? Also, I noticed that the kindle always refresh everything completely opposite, say if I display a letter "A". Firstly, the area of the A goes to entirely bright, the A is then rendered to black.
wildcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #69
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. It is driven by a waveform generator and the attempt is being made to get all the little ink balls that make up a pixel to agree on which side is up (black or white).
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #70
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcolor View Post
Wow, the technique you mentioned seems to be extremely fansicnating. It goes up to 40FPS on a K4?????????????? I will definitely look into this after work.

Do we actually need to program on the kindle using the technique? Also, I noticed that the kindle always refresh everything completely opposite, say if I display a letter "A". Firstly, the area of the A goes to entirely bright, the A is then rendered to black.
Driving the eink at 40FPS is pointless, because it causes too many eink artifacts with general video content. However, with carefully crafted content that is designed to avoid causing eink artifacts, you could drive it that fast. But eink is not like a light emitting display such as a CRT or LCD. If you play the videos I provided, you will see that 7.7FPS is quite adequate. That is all the faster a K3 can do anyway, so I standardized on that AVERAGE update speed. Some frames are a bit faster and some a bit slower, so I insert delays or drop frames as needed to maintain 7.7FPS.

There are different kinds of updates. It is possible to draw on the eink panel without the full flash update. You can see that this is so by watching a video on the eink display (using gmplay mentioned above). It does not flash or flicker.

The K4 does a MUCH better job displaying video if you run it from diags SSH. K4 diags uses the K5 eink drivers (mxc_fb), but when booted from main it uses a K3 eink hardware emulation layer (eink_fb) that is much slower.

EDIT: The kindles NORMALLY only do about 5FPS. You can see examples of that in the various youtube videos for the Nook Simple Touch (Doom and Big Buck Bunny). To get the faster speed, I do not wait for the eink drivers to complete an operation in progress before starting another update. I got the idea from reading the freescale manuals and the eink driver GPL code -- the new K4/K5 eink controller supports 20 simultaneous non-overlapping update threads, and the drivers attempt to automate that by analyzing what changed between framebuffer updates. So, essentially, you can think of my increased eink update speed as a form of eink "overclocking".

An important point for fast no-flash updates is that the content must not contain any gray pixels (only pure black and white). You can simulate grayscale with dithering, and the ordered dither I use is much faster than other dither methods, and works quite well for video.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-14-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #71
FredF
FredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 4
Question

Hi,
New here and to python.
I know this is probably a stupid question, but does the e-monitor use internet allowances. I was under the impression that it only uses my Wi-Fi connection, not my actual internet connection, but I did see a line of code
Code:
#Amazon's website is used here for its reliablity. Feel free to change it.
  s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
  s.connect(("amazon.com",80))
What does this code do, and does it actually use/require an internet connection.
You are doing a great job.
FredF
FredF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #72
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur
fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3gb (3g)
Delete.. Sorry

Last edited by fonzie4msg; 03-17-2013 at 05:49 AM.
fonzie4msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #73
sega dude
sega dude can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sega dude can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sega dude can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sega dude can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sega dude can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sega dude can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sega dude can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sega dude can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sega dude can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sega dude can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sega dude can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, K4 NoTouch
Works great on my Dad's Kindle 4 Non-Touch and Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. I'll also be trying this on my Raspberry Pi.

EDIT: Got it working on my Raspberry Pi. I made this thread on how to do it.

Last edited by sega dude; 08-25-2013 at 02:57 PM.
sega dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 AM   #74
MagnusW
MagnusW began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am an entrepreneur that is currently developing a dedicated e-ink external monitor that is easy to use and dedicated to being the best possible monitor solution (not an e-reader). I am reaching out to people who seem interested in a product like this.

I would love to hear your thoughts on how you personally would like such a product to work. At this point in my development your input could become real-world features. Hit me with comment and we could have a talk!

Best,
- Magnus

PS: I'm posting on a couple of threads like this, sorry if some of you might see this message other places as well.
MagnusW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:35 AM   #75
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusW View Post
I am an entrepreneur that is currently developing a dedicated e-ink external monitor that is easy to use and dedicated to being the best possible monitor solution (not an e-reader). I am reaching out to people who seem interested in a product like this.

I would love to hear your thoughts on how you personally would like such a product to work. At this point in my development your input could become real-world features. Hit me with comment and we could have a talk!

Best,
- Magnus

PS: I'm posting on a couple of threads like this, sorry if some of you might see this message other places as well.
Please start your own thread for your topic.

Also read Section 3 of: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines

I.E: Just one topic thread, specific to your topic, in one forum.

Tags
display, emonitor, kindle, screen