Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
Gianni
Gianni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch jb
sony prs-t1: export highlighted text, clippings

Hi, can you please tell me how to export highlighted text from the sony prs-t1, is it a straightforward process? Is it possible to export the text to a file and then copy it to a txt file?

thanks in advance
Gianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
You need to use SONY's Reader software.

First, you transfer the file (ebook, pdf, whatever it is) from the device to the software (this step should not be necessary, as annotations should be sync'd; in reality sync, like everything else in this piece of crap software, is hit-or-miss). To do so, you use the software to browse the books on your device, then select 'copy to library'.

Then, you open the file. There will be a bunch of icons on the lower right corner. The second icon from the left - the one depicting a document with an arrow pointing out - is to export your annotations, highlights and whatnot to an RTF file.

Results are mixed. For handwritten annotations, you get an image file of the page with annotations pasted into the RTF. Problem is, the new software - unlike the older one - does not always align the handwritten annotations properly with the page. So you occasionally get annotations on the wrong spot on the page. The old software (Reader Library) did it properly, but it doesn't work with the T1.

Highlighted text gets exported, with a cite indicating the date, page number and document name. Which is neat. The problem is, there is a character limit. For non-DRM books, that limit is pretty high (I don't recall the exact count) but it generally isn't a problem. For DRM material, it is limited to a fairly low number of characters (if I recall correctly, 100) - which is a huge pain in the backside. There are some old threads on these boards discussing the highlighting/exporting limitations, you can search for those.

Typed notes are fully exported, again with page numbers and date/time stamps.

Last edited by vxf; 11-06-2011 at 11:25 PM.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
Gianni
Gianni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch jb
thank you very much :-)
Gianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
thank you very much :-)
Thanks are worthless. Gimme KARMA!!!

Just kidding. Glad to be of use.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
thb
thb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Several
Hi y'all,

if I may butt in with a related question, but is is also possible to reimport somebody else's annotations?

Thanks for your time,
Thomas
thb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
thb
thb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshesthb can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Several
Talkin' to myself... ;-)

Hi,

as I have since found out as the proud new owner of a PRS-T1, the PC version of the Reader software (haven't tried the Mac version, but I suspect it's identical in functionality) doesn't allow you to import annotations - you can just export your own annotations and marks to RTF.

The good news is that the reader itself uses a common and open database format (sqlite v3 to be precise) to store all kinds of metadata including the annotations, so somebody with a bit of coding experience could easily roll his or her own annotations importer/exporter.

However, since the positioning of the annotations seems to be tied tightly to the document structure, reimported annotations will only ever properly work with the same edition of the ebook they were exported from.

Cheers,
Thomas
thb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
richkonline
Nameless Being

Clunky workaround for clipping

A clunky workaround is to use a screen clipper. I believe one comes with Windows Vista and Win 7. Or there is a paid version called Snaggit. You open up the Sony Reader and using the clipper, drag a box around the text you want and click. This takes a screen grab of the particular section and you can drop this into Word. However, it is a "picture", not text. So you cannot amend it and you cannot dump it into many programs e.g. notes in a Bible Reader (such as OliveTree) for example.

But it does get your highlights out.

Kindle works much better. After you highlight and sync, you can go to Kindle on the web and there are your quotes. You can cut these out in Text format and put them into Word. But there are restrictions with each book. I do not know the exact amount you can highlight and have it show upm on the web. But if it stops, just delete some of the earlier one (after copying the text of course). I do not know if there is an overall limit - even after deleting highlights.

You can copy out of Nook using the NookStudy PC app. Highlight in Nook, sync to NookStudy and then copy out in text and drop to Word. Again there is a limit depending on the book being read. Not sure of that limit. But You can copy an entire page for example - but how much copying in total? Don't know.

This is my current dilemma. The Kindle gives me the best "cut and paste" option, but the Nook and Sony give me Google Books (so I can swap to another eReader if I choose and not have to re-purchase my books in a new format), while the Sony gives me the ability to make hand written annotations.

Oh, the choices.....
Old 11-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
I own a Sony Reader PRS-T1 and would really like to have the annotation import feature in Calibre. I'm ready to contribute in a way or another. I'm not a program but have some experience with web-design and mysql database management.

Don't know where to start tough.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by entodoays View Post
I own a Sony Reader PRS-T1 and would really like to have the annotation import feature in Calibre. I'm ready to contribute in a way or another. I'm not a program but have some experience with web-design and mysql database management.

Don't know where to start tough.
That's nice of you to offer to contribute. You might try posting in the Sony Developer's Forum. Maybe somebody is already working on something or they might be able to point you in the right direction to start.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
BHastings175
BHastings175 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I know this is a dead thread, but I wanted to update since this is a question I was researching recently and google still finds this thread.

You can export without SONY reader desktop software. You can do it with unlimited length highlights/annotations. See here.
BHastings175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
BHastings175
BHastings175 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
double post
BHastings175 is offline   Reply With Quote