Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
dz1
dz1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre just destroyed my hard drive data

Just had a very bad experience using this Calibre program. I have been using it for years to convert files without having any problems until now.

It happened when I ran the program and clicked on the "books" menu button at the top of the screen. A drop down menu appears with various options. I picked the option that says delete library > desktop. The next thing i know is the hard drive starts making noises for about a minute. I think to myself it's just getting rid of all the books i have accumulated, which is what i expected it to do. So then i go over to my desktop and see this [edited] Calibre program has deleted nearly everything i had on my desktop irrespective of whether the files were ebooks or not. Nearly all my photos, videos, music, data etc were gone. I look in the recycle bin and they're not even there. All gone in an instant.

After i recovered from the shock i downloaded a free hard drive recovery program from the net and set about trying to recover all the stuff that was gone. I got back most of what calibre deleted.

I wanted to warn people about the behaviour of this program and would like to know if there are any alternatives to using this program.

Last edited by netseeker; 05-04-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: moderation edit
dz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Let's see, [edited] you set your desktop as the calibre library. Then you ask calibre to delete that library. Then when it does that, you complain.

You're like the fool that shoots himself in the foot with a gun and then blames the gun manufacturer for not manufacturing a gun that can read your mind and so refuse to shoot your foot off.

EDIT: And not just that when you ask calibre to delete a library, a confirmation dialog pops up that says, and I quote, "All files from 'the library folder' will be permanently deleted. Are you sure?". And you chose to ignore that dialog.

Last edited by netseeker; 05-04-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: moderation edit
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1 View Post
I wanted to warn people about the behaviour of this program
What's so unusual about an application deleting files when you tell it to? You told it to delete the desktop library (librareis are folders) so it did. calibre expects to have total control (should not be a surprise as it's talked about in many places) of its library to do what it needs. You shouldn't have used an existing folder as your library.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The first time I saw something like this was in 1975 at Berkeley. A student typed "rm -rf ." in his home directory, then went ballistic when all his files were deleted. He blamed me (the teaching assistant on duty) for letting him do it. He went as far as to complain to the prof for the class about my inattentiveness. The prof told him to go pound sand.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Coming to rm -rf stories, when I was a lot stupider I aliased rm -rf as rm on the theory that typing -rf every time was too much work.

I rather quickly saw the error of my ways Thankfully, I did not think to blame the creators of BASh for having an alias function.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-04-2011 at 01:44 PM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Only a fool stores the original file on the Desktop

All of the desktop shortcuts can be rebuilt with small pain.
My rule: 'Any file on the desktop is Trash can padding'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
One could expect calibre to delete only the file related to it. On the other hand, using the desktop as the library, definitively NOT something to do.

The desktop is well, a desktop. The "documents" folders is where your files should be calibre's file in their own folder.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I was getting upset with Calibre last night, my computer kept hanging, causing X to crash, books not showing up in library, etc...

Then I found out that my hard drive was dying and my filesystem was hosed... ooops... too quick to blame the program I was currently running. :-)

Hey, kovidgoyal, thanks for the awesome program! :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
dz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Let's see, [edited] you set your desktop as the calibre library. Then you ask calibre to delete that library. Then when it does that, you complain.
[edited] you assumed [edited] that my calibre library was set to desktop when i pressed the button. I did previously have a library at desktop but changed it to a new location. My library was actually set to desktop/files/books/books when i pressed the button that says delete library. Yet instead of deleting that library it deletes a totally different one. There wasn't even an option shown to me by the program to delete my current library as all it showed was the word desktop. Another contributing factor is that you put books in libraries, so it is quite proper for the user to expect that when it says "delete library" then it deletes only books.

I now see that you are [edited] responsible for this program. I uncover a major flaw in your program and all you can do is hurl insults. You should be thanking me for uncovering such a major problem in your flawed program and also apologising for the damage your program has done. Instead you hurl insults like some arrogant fool.

I am still looking for other options to use other than this damaging program. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Last edited by netseeker; 05-04-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: moderation edit
Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
I am still looking for other options to use other than this damaging program. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on your way out...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
dz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on your way out...
I'm not asking for much. Just give me other options other than using calibre. If there are no other options then just say so.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
[edited] you assumed [edited] that my calibre library was set to desktop when i pressed the button. I did previously have a library at desktop but changed it to a new location. My library was actually set to desktop/files/books/books when i pressed the button that says delete library. Yet instead of deleting that library it deletes a totally different one. There wasn't even an option given to me by the program to delete my current library. Another contributing factor is that you put books in libraries, so it is quite proper for the user to expect that when it says "delete library" then it deletes only books.
That what was the /destop url still doing in calibre then ? Did you opened the wrong library without noticing ? Or you wanted to deleted trace of the old library ?

Others option none that I know of. And I looked, as calibre don't fit me.

Last edited by netseeker; 05-04-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: moderation edit
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I'm not asking for much. Just give me other options other than using calibre. If there are no other options then just say so.
Strong start for a new poster!

There are no programs comparable in scope or depth to Calibre (not to mention the responsiveness of the developers).

No program is likely to protect you from the consequences of your own actions. I do wish you luck in finding something that works for you.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
You just proved you are a bigger 'Maroon' asking in the forum DEDICATED to Calibre.

I bet you ignore the 'Don't back up' as you exit a secure car park and blame the owner
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
There is an option. Manually manage your library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote