Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
PRS-650 PRS-350 Please report eventual fading under direct sunlight of new models

Hi! I am very interested in knowing if there are still any faulty screens inside the new SONY models. Maybe the owners of the new models can go out into sunlight (good bright direct sunlight), flip a couple of pages, and report back ? It would be NICE for sony to have this problem solved once and for all maybe they did!
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Yes I'm very interested in this too. When it has happened in previous models, it has not been a general thing, but has been limited to individual units. So, it is best for everyone to check their own unit. But it is now the wrong time of year here in the UK. No more sunlight for 6 months.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
erayd
Zealot
erayd doesn't littererayd doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
I read most of a book in full sunlight yesterday, on a brand new 650. There were no fading issues as far as I could see - the contrast was great.
erayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

I have been using for about a week and there has been no fading issue.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd first need some sunlight. Probably next year again
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 02:59 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmax View Post
Hi! I am very interested in knowing if there are still any faulty screens inside the new SONY models. Maybe the owners of the new models can go out into sunlight (good bright direct sunlight), flip a couple of pages, and report back ? It would be NICE for sony to have this problem solved once and for all maybe they did!
1st it wasn't a problem exclusive to Sony.

2nd it was a completely different screen type that had this problem.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I don't know about sunlight but where I'm from we hardly see day light. However, I'm happy to report the new devices work fine under cold conditions.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 AM   #8
Joshseadog
Enthusiast
Joshseadog doesn't litterJoshseadog doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-650
This has been discussed before, a number of users including myself have contributed to this and screens have been found to be perfect under any light conditions including full on sun over long periods.
Joshseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
I´m Glad then ... anyway, it was probably not a problem of the E-ink itself, but of some kind of blocking filter processing in the glass over it ... and I would think that as such it would also apply eventually to this new type of screen.

It was a faulty process in the tercerization of e-ink screen production, given to LG ...

And I know of other brands that DETECTED such problem, but actually even screened their readers to identify and change the screens of the faulty ones. If I correctly recall, Astak was one of these brands.

Therefore, I would not waste "typing" in defending Sony ... as it is not the idea of this thread in the first place to attack sony, but also they (I think) Do not deserve any kind of defense.

I would like to know if I can buy a new sony reader with no fear of malfunction due to this known problem in older readers.

If no one reports a faulty screen, then it is "party time" and Sony finally left behind that nasty faulty chapter.
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
I am grateful for this thread, I had no idea fading was an issue. I hope people will post their findings. I have a Cooler, no fading issues but Oh so boring!! I'm ready for some excitement and the Sony is tempting but 'sun' reading is important.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Why should it eventually apply to a new type of screen? It wasn't a fault that developed but was present from manufacture... just not noticed until people used their reader in bright sunlight... you even say it was a faulty process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmax View Post
I´m Glad then ... anyway, it was probably not a problem of the E-ink itself, but of some kind of blocking filter processing in the glass over it ... and I would think that as such it would also apply eventually to this new type of screen.

It was a faulty process in the tercerization of e-ink screen production, given to LG ...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
Nikko73
Enthusiast
Nikko73 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura One (after Hanlin, Sony and other Kobo devices)
No problems here - read in the sun for half an hour this morning and no change in screen at all.

I should add that I bought the unit in Australia around the 15th September (though it seems this batch may have been intended for Canadian consumption as, among other things, it states: This class B didtal apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003 in small type on the back of the device chassis.

Last edited by Nikko73; 09-26-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: add info
Nikko73 is offline   Reply With Quote